Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural History

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
Unicellular Fungi

Two different caves suunto. I think the first photos were from a cave in IN. The second one was in KY. I don't recall the names of either. The next photos are of another cave in KY. This one was open to the public and I believe it was called Diamond Cave. I'm trying to find where I saved photos of caves from SD, CO, AZ, and a few other states. Unfortunately, I don't have photos for many of the better caves such as those on private property because I worry about damaging my camera so I frequently leave it behind.
Attached Thumbnails
For suunto, a spelunker would like this-dky-0.jpg   For suunto, a spelunker would like this-dky-1.jpg   For suunto, a spelunker would like this-dky-2.jpg   For suunto, a spelunker would like this-dky-3.jpg   For suunto, a spelunker would like this-dky4.jpg  

TheLorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #12
Unicellular Fungi

A few more photos of specific formations and misc. from this cave. The Diamond Cave did not allow visitors to stray from their paths. Still a beautiful cave to visit but does take much of the pleasure out of it when you can't explore nooks and crannies.
Attached Thumbnails
For suunto, a spelunker would like this-dky5.jpg   For suunto, a spelunker would like this-dky-4-monitoring.jpg   For suunto, a spelunker would like this-dky-bacon.jpg   For suunto, a spelunker would like this-dky-popcorn.jpg  
Old 12-20-2008, 12:20 PM   #13
The Bug Whisperer

O.K. - I thought that at least some of the photos probably were in a commercial cave because of the type of discoloration seen on some of the formations.
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #14
Unicellular Fungi

If people would just stop touching things and breathing when they visited!

Yes, a lot of irreversible damage in those caves.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #15
Unicellular Fungi

Dug up some photos from one of the commercial caves in SD. Don't remember the name of this one but the cave was riddled with damage. Very depressing that people had been taking home souveniers. Souveniers that will end up in some shoe box somewhere in a closet found by their kids when they die and nobody will have any clue what's in the box.

Here are some photos to obious damage in the caverns. I can post some nicer photos after that.
Attached Thumbnails
For suunto, a spelunker would like this-sd-major-damage1.jpg   For suunto, a spelunker would like this-sd-damage2.jpg  
Old 12-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #16
Unicellular Fungi

Some nicer areas of the cave.
Attached Thumbnails
For suunto, a spelunker would like this-sd-0.jpg   For suunto, a spelunker would like this-sd-1.jpg   For suunto, a spelunker would like this-sd2.jpg  
Old 12-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #17
Unicellular Fungi

Few more photos of this cave in SD.
Attached Thumbnails
For suunto, a spelunker would like this-sd3.jpg   For suunto, a spelunker would like this-sd4.jpg   For suunto, a spelunker would like this-sd5.jpg  
Old 12-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #18
The Bug Whisperer

Was this a big cave? If so, could have been either Jewel (you would have taken an elevator down from the entrance area) or Wind (walk in; no elevator needed) Cave.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:02 PM   #19
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
If people would just stop touching things and breathing when they visited!

Yes, a lot of irreversible damage in those caves.
If only all those entering caves would heed the caver's motto: "Take Nothing but Pictures, Leave Nothing but (carefully placed) Footprints, Kill Nothing but Time."
Old 12-21-2008, 07:09 AM   #20
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Take Nothing but Pictures, Leave Nothing but (carefully placed) Footprints, Kill Nothing but Time.
Very well said. I take it that chunk missing from the tip of the stalactite I photographed got to you too.
I don't think the last cave photographed was Jewel Cave but I think these photos are of Jewel.
Attached Thumbnails
For suunto, a spelunker would like this-sd01.jpg   For suunto, a spelunker would like this-sd2.jpg   For suunto, a spelunker would like this-sd3.jpg   For suunto, a spelunker would like this-sd4.jpg   For suunto, a spelunker would like this-sd5.jpg  

Tags
spelunker, suunto