Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Horicon National Wildlife Refuge, Wisconsin

Horicon National Wildlife Refuge, Horicon National Wildlife Refuge and Horicon Marsh State Wildlife Area, WDNR - Horicon Marsh Wildlife Area.
"At over 32,000 acres in size, Horicon Marsh is the largest freshwater cattail marsh in the United States. The marsh provides habitat for endangered species and is a critical rest stop for thousands of migrating ducks and Canada geese. It is recognized as a Wetland of International Importance, as both Globally and State Important Bird Areas and is also a unit of the Ice Age Scientific Reserve."
Attached Thumbnails
Horicon National Wildlife Refuge, Wisconsin-horicon-marsh-1.jpg   Horicon National Wildlife Refuge, Wisconsin-horicon-marsh-2.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Marshes
Attached Thumbnails
Horicon National Wildlife Refuge, Wisconsin-img_4354.jpg   Horicon National Wildlife Refuge, Wisconsin-img_4355.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

There were American pelicans in this wetlands. I got my camera out just in time for them to take off.
Attached Thumbnails
Horicon National Wildlife Refuge, Wisconsin-img_4350.jpg   Horicon National Wildlife Refuge, Wisconsin-img_4352.jpg   Horicon National Wildlife Refuge, Wisconsin-img_4351.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

As the sun set, the colors intesified. I was by myself sitting on the ground with bees buzzing busily around me.
Attached Thumbnails
Horicon National Wildlife Refuge, Wisconsin-horicon-marsh-3.jpg   Horicon National Wildlife Refuge, Wisconsin-horicon-marsh-4.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Geese flying south over the wetlands.
Attached Thumbnails
Horicon National Wildlife Refuge, Wisconsin-img_4353.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
WG Facebook Administrator

That is a big wetland! Was it easy to get around, or was much of the ground saturated?
Old 10-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
A Bee's Best Friend

Nice pictures!!!
Can you believe I have never been there? Peter has been telling me about the place for years but we never seem to make it up there in fall when he wants to see the huge migration he remembers from his youth.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

amelanchier> when you're in areas like that you always wanna stick to the trails so it was easy getting around since there's trails everywhere throughout that 32,0000 acres. I live about 2.5 hours away from there and I've never been there before. I felt shorted so I went back the next day at sun up. I could go back again and again and again. That place totally is awesome. Gloria> Ever heard about the fish that was sooooooooooo big but got away???? Wellllllllll, you should see the photos I took on "P" mode that never turned out because I screwed up and never put it back in auto. Dumb dumb dumb dumb. From where you are you'd be passing like 2 miles from my house to get up there. If you want to go.... who needs husbands. I'll go back with you. I lost about ohhhhhhhh.... 300 photos over 2 days and.... I know exactly where you can see about 500 migrating birds off the shoulder of the road. You'd be sitting in one spot for hours.... like I was. You name it.... it's there. Bring field guides with you when you and your husband go. This place is better than sex for birders I kid you not. The American pelicans were my highlight.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
WG Facebook Administrator

Oh OK, I couldn't see trails in the photos (good composition!); that's good they have them.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Fall is so pretty. You don't need trees to see it!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird, birds, canada geese, duck, ducks, geese, horicon, horicon marsh, horicon national wildlife refuge, marsh, marshes, migrating ducks, national, natural areas, refuge, wetland, wetland refuge, wetlands, wildlife, wildlife refuge, wisconsin