Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Orland Grasslands Autumn visitors Day September 26th

If you live near Chicago...is this a great idea or what?
Great way to spend an autumn day with the family doing a little hiking and learning about a prairie restoration. September 26th 1p.m.-4p.m.

AUTUMN ON THE GRASSLAND - Triblocal - Voice of the town.

Quote:
Visitors are welcome to try volunteering on for size. Seeds will be ready to collect while hiking, an activity that is suited for everyone. Bring your children. They'll be happy to get outside, hike off trail, stretch their legs, experience nature.
Quote:
Visitors will get a first look at the wonderful results from work done by the volunteers, Cook County Forest Preserve District staff and the Army Corps of Engineers. The site hasn't seen such birds, wildflowers, butterflies and tall prairie grasses in more than 100 years! Guided hikes into the site will be offered to introduce and identify species along the way. Better for strollers and canes, 175th is an old farm road that provides a sound walkway and great view without venturing into the natural terrain.
Orland Grasslands
http://home.comcast.net/~ptihys/

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Are you going?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
A Bee's Best Friend

Yes I am.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

You don't have a street address on that so I can mapquest it do you? I can get to the center of Orland Pk but I can't get to where that is without a street address. I can't find a street address anywhere. I tried looking last night. I'm interested in time and if I can get there and play and still have time to make it back up north to get my buns to a soccer game for my kid. If I can go for it.... I'm going for it. I've always wanted to see Orland Grassland. Are you the land steward there? Back later on... gotta take off.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
A Bee's Best Friend

Located just north of I-80, Orland Grassland is bounded
on the North by 167th Street,
East by La Grange Road,
South by 179th Street and
West by 104th Street.
The main entrance parking lot is located on 167th Street
about 1/4 block west of LaGrange Road in Orland Park, Illinois.

104th street is the yellow star on the map.
Quote:
They are moving the event from the main parking lot area back to its original location at the drop gate entrance on its western boundary on 104th Avenue at Old 175th Street. Park in the subdivision across the street.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
A Bee's Best Friend

I have collected seed there but am not a regular volunteer. The plants I am growing for seed restoration is for Spring Creek.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Looks like it's about 2 hours south of me and the kid's game is about 2 hours north of me. Would it be worth it for me to pop down there for an hour right when it opened? Would I get to see much of anything or would I be standing there at the 1 hour mark having a heart attack that I had to leave?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
A Bee's Best Friend

That's a lot of driving. You can stop by another time.Read the volunteer information and pick a time to come by. They are friendly and could always use an extra pair of hands. You must be much closer to Spring Creek.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
WG Staff

Default Native plants, birds return to Orland Grassland after 10 years of restoration

Native plants, birds return to Orland Grassland after 10 years of restoration
September 25, 2012
By Ashley Rueff, Chicago Tribune reporter

Native plants, birds returning to Orland Grassland after 10 years of restoration - Chicago Tribune
excerpts from above:
Quote:
"It has just been a huge, wonderful experience to take something that's degraded and losing its substance, and watching it evolve in front of your eyes," Hayes said. "Things are coming back to life for the first time in 100 years."
Quote:
"This is what we don't have anymore," Hayes said on a recent afternoon while watching a tiny bird perched on a prairie flower against the grassland's blue-sky background. "People say I feel like I'm inů

Tags
26th, autumn, autumn visitors day, birds, butterflies, day, grassland, grasslands, hiking, native plants, orland, orland grasslands, plants, prairie, prairie grass, prairie restoration, recreation, seed collecting, seeds, september, tall prairie grasses, tours, visitors, visitors day, wildflowers