Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #31
Official Plant Nerd

Something about snopes. Usually when you read somebody saying something about snopes it means you've been taken.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #32
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

The snopes story was referring to Mars appearing larger a few years ago, and the part that said Mars is on the other side of the sun was written in 2006 - probably everyone on this forum can see it right after sunset this week.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:37 PM   #33
Official Plant Nerd

Phew.... I've got bites on bites from going out there looking for meteor showers. What I want to know is where in the sky should I be looking for the meteor showers and about what time? I'm tired of running around the whole house with so many skeeters.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:55 PM   #34
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Towards the northeast, best towards dawn, but the peak time has passed, a couple weeks ago. Havalotta said she saw some on the 24th, but it's really hard to see them with the competition of the light from the moon now.

Daytime is when the little flying vampires are out here. Some new kind of solar powered vampires. I'm doomed. Until there's a hard frost or whatever it takes to beat them back until next year.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:03 AM   #35
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

That's where I've been seeing them...In the north eastern sky.
I tried out the telescope I found. The moon just about BLINDED me with its brightness once I got it into view. It was crystal clear!
Looked just like a geographic photo with all its craters and pock marks.

As far as seeing Jupiters moons...I think I MIGHT have seen one off to the left about in the 10:00 area.. Not sure though. The scope has a loose base which makes it really hard to hold still on a subject so faraway.. I don't know, but it seems to need a rubber ring or something. I looked underneath for a wing nut to tighten it up but there wasn't any... I could probably do the ole cramming the matchbook into the void thing the next time.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, astronomy, jupiter, mars, meteor shower, meteor showers, meteors, meteror, moon, moons, night, night time, perseid, saturn, shower, sky, time, venus, view