Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #31
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
...What REALLY surprised me is that you had body piercings exactly in all the same places as me and the same thing with all your tattoos. Too bad my skin color is darker than yours or my tattoos would look as bright and colorful as yours.
I'm afraid to take the bait.

...I don't want to be that gullible.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #32
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

Always liked tattoos. Have one myself. Not sold on body piercings.

Ladies, show us those tattoos!
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #33
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium
What REALLY surprised me is that you had body piercings exactly in all the same places as me and the same thing with all your tattoos.
Too bad my skin color is darker than yours or my tattoos would look as bright and colorful as yours.
NORMAN! Oh My Goodness.....You mean yours are REAL?
I thought you were kidding me about having tattoos so I went and bought some of that henna stuff and fluorescent markers and drew mine on....
Don't get me wrong now.....I think some of your artistic tattoos are quite fascinating. I still love ya.

Are your piercings real too?
I made mine out of bobby pins. I curled them around a pencil and clipped off an end to create the size I needed to curl them around my lips.
The one on my eyebrow took some getting used to though. I had to pinch it quite tight to keep it from popping off. You know with all the facial expressions and all.
They looked really real though didn't they?

Maybe you should only show them your native plant and butterfly tattoos....
Some of yours get pretty graphic. I did like your neon blue glow in the dark flames though.
Please.... Don't go and get any of those eye tattoos. There's too many horror stories about going blind!
Just think ....Life without your camera....Worse yet...Life without W.G. You'd go into withdrawals...

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Do do -do doooooooooo...................
Sage....You best quit that humming in the back ground now.
Heading back.....
Porky Pine Mountain adventures-dscf8161.jpg
I can only imagine the amount of people that have trod on roots for aids while traversing uphill.

Porky Pine Mountain adventures-dscf8148.jpg
A tiny seed nestles itself in a crack and finds enough moisture, sunshine and nutrients to sprout.
Notice the river far, far below and how steep the cliffs are.

I can't get over how agile Norman is. She can climb almost straight up in her wet flip flops using just the cracks on its surface!
Nothing keeps her from trying to capture a descent shot!

Porky Pine Mountain adventures-dscf8159.jpg
Traveling ahead in time it may look something like this....

Toonerville trolly's leaving......
Porky Pine Mountain adventures-dscf8164-.jpg
Next stop........

Old 07-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #35
Official Plant Nerd

"Ladies, show us those tattoos!" I couldn't show Ralph up posting photos of my ink work now that I know hers are fancy fakes. I just couldn't. It just wouldn't be right. Besides which.... I'm no good at taking photos of myself. They NEVER turn out.... never. Think I'll go mosey on over to some other threads and hide for a while....
Old 07-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #36

mushroom

Well I'm going on a hunt for the HUMONGOUS FUNGUS.....
Norman, Get back over here. They want to see the mushroom!
The following has been pulled from......Armillaria gallica, the humongous fungus humungus. Tom Volk's Fungus of the Month for April 2002

The Humongous Fungus
First you'll need to know a bit of background on Armillaria, also known as the Honey Mushroom. Armillaria (Fr.:Fr.) Staude is a genus of mostly pathogenic agaric fungi. Perhaps the most important aspect of the life cycle of Armillaria is the formation of rhizomorphs, conglomerations of differentiated parallel hyphae with a protective melanized black rind on the outside. The rhizomorphs are able to transport food and other materials long distances, thus allowing the fungus to grow through nutrient poor areas located between large food sources such as stumps. The rhizomorphs can also act as "scouts" for the rest of the thallus, searching for new food sources. These proliferative rhizomorphs apparently permit Armillaria colonies to spread and become quite large.
Thus enters...... The Humongous Fungus.

Historically, the site (near Crystal Falls, Michigan near the Wisconsin border) had been mostly northern red oak/white birch/ sugar maple forest, but the native trees had been harvested with more profitable red pines planted in their place. When the oaks were cut, the stumps were mostly left in the ground to rot. The oaks had been infected with Armillaria root rot, but had survived very well because they were not under any stress. However, when pines were planted, some species of Armillaria were able to kill the young pine seedlings. The particular species that garnered their attention was Armillaria bulbosa, which is now correctly known as Armillaria gallica.

With several types of data, they could begin to draw maps of the area to determine the limits of each individual. One of these clones turned out to be quite large, covering 15 hectares (37 acres) Smith et al. found the clone to be at least 1500 years old and weigh at least 9,700 kg (more than 21,000 pounds or 100 tons), close to the mass of an adult blue whale!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #37

I blew up an aerial shot of the area.
Porky Pine Mountain adventures-arial-view-humongous-fungus.jpg
Some of the locals told us it's not one HUGE fungus but a bunch of little ones all interconnected...... Awe, WHAT a letdown.
The fruiting bodies (Mushrooms) come up from one big mass located under the ground.
Porky Pine Mountain adventures-dscf8165.jpg
We followed his instructions to a small trail (highlighted in red) and were immediately soaked from the ground up.
Ferns and grasses glistened with beads of water from the fresh fallen rain.
Porky Pine Mountain adventures-dscf8164.jpg
I see Normans walked off the path!
Knowing her, she's spotted something....A mushroom ! Could this be them?
Porky Pine Mountain adventures-dscf8180.jpg
Maybe this is....
Porky Pine Mountain adventures-dscf8168.jpg
Naaaaa It's gotta be these.
We had NO IDEA what kind we were searching for...

I wanted to continue on to see what lays ahead. (They don't build trails for nothing you know.)
Norman says "Let's head back. The terrain has changed" Gee... The fun is over..... But wait, there's another trail !

Had we continued on.....there WAS something fenced in (the black box on the map) but...
after reading the article (AFTER we got home) my best guess for the humongous fungus growth would be where you see growth die off.
(All of the more brown area enclosed in the green circle) Recall the article saying it kills off the pines....

Old 07-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #38

We continued our search for the HUMONGOUS FUNGUS.....

Porky Pine Mountain adventures-dscf8181.jpg
Some mushrooms resembled small red potatoes
Porky Pine Mountain adventures-dscf8172.jpg
Some Thin
Porky Pine Mountain adventures-dscf8189.jpg
Some really meaty
Porky Pine Mountain adventures-hygrocybes-miniata-species-dscf8183.jpg
Others were Bloody Red

I FOUND ONE!
Porky Pine Mountain adventures-humongous-fungus-armillaria-bulbosa-dscf8166.jpg
THIS is the species we were searching for! Armillaria bulbosa

Old 07-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #39
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

You actually knew what you were looking for? Cool!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:46 PM   #40

I researched the heck out of the trip before we started out to the Porky Pines together and wrote the name of the mushroom on the map.
It wasn't until we got home when I located a photo of what one looked like online. I honestly thought we'd be seeing ONE HUGE FUNGUS,
not a bunch of fruiting bodies...

Tags
adventure, adventures, agate falls, hike, hiking, michigan, mountain, mountain ledge, natural areas, outdoor recreation, outdoors, pine, porky, porky pine, porky pine mountain, recreation, recreational areas, trails, upper penninsula, waterfalls