Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #31
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Great photos. After seeing them, I *know* I have to add a bog garden to the pond/streambed plan!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #32
WG Facebook Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Great tour! Is it legal to collect seed from some of those plants???
Thanks! You'd have to get the permission of the Bergen Swamp Preservation Society, which, interestingly, is one of the land conservation societies that is completely funded by private money. But they are very strict with giving permission of that kind. It would have to be a large-scale restoration project in a viable habitat, I'd think.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Cool. I think I've read or noticed that lowbush blueberries do seem to grow on soil above limestone. I always like the look of stuff like that.

I *might* have some sphagnum moss (or some other cool looking moss) in one corner of our yard...I'd like to add blueberries there.
I think I've read that blueberry seeds germinate particularly well on moss, so... might want to throw some seeds down and see what comes up!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #34

There was also a lot of shrubby cinquefoil in bloom; unfortunately, I neglected to get a picture. Some people said it was common near them, but I'd never seen it before.
Shrubby Cinquefoil (Pentaphylloides floribunda)
Old 08-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
There was also a lot of shrubby cinquefoil in bloom; unfortunately, I neglected to get a picture. Some people said it was common near them, but I'd never seen it before.
Shrubby Cinquefoil (Pentaphylloides floribunda)
You and me both! I've never seen it in the wild...I've only seen what they sell at nurseries.

I'd love to see it in the wild and what companion plants grow with it. You have no pictures, but can you remember and describe what kind of habitat it needs and what grows with it?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #36

It grew alongside the boardwalks in the swamp as well as in the marl. So it likes lime, wet, and sun. It tended to grow with the sticky tolfeldia, creeping juniper, and many different sedges of wet, full-sun habitats.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #37

Quote:
It grew alongside the boardwalks in the swamp as well as in the marl. So it likes lime, wet, and sun. It tended to grow with the sticky tolfeldia, creeping juniper, and many different sedges of wet, full-sun habitats.
Thanks, amelanchier. I always imagined it in drier conditions for some reason--maybe seeing it in nursery pots!?

I have never really been interested in them; I'm not interested in most nursery stock. ...But, I'd be happy to grow the straight species if I have (or could create) the right habitat for them. Thanks for getting me started.

...I am not familiar with sticky tolfeldia--and an internet search provided not one result.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #38

Huh, didn't realize nurseries offer it!

I got the name wrong - it's actually "tofieldia" with just one "l" and two "i"s. Triantha glutinosa is the botanical name.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Huh, didn't realize nurseries offer it!
I'm almost sure they do--and have for years. People seem to use them in their landscapes--at first I didn't realize they were natives.

Quote:
I got the name wrong - it's actually "tofieldia" with just one "l" and two "i"s. Triantha glutinosa is the botanical name.
I just did an image search--VERY attractive. Thanks.

Tags
bergen, swamp