Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 04:45 AM   #61
Lungwort

I have a couple experiences of wild collecting. One is a friend who owned some acres of woodland that she was getting ready to sell for development. She invited me to collect some plants from her land, which I see as a kind of rescue. The other is a little piece of woods that I was paid caretaker of for some years. After I left there, I still came back with permission and took some things for my new garden, but only things that are very common. In both cases the plants I collected are for the native woodland shade garden I'm establishing on what used to be a totally trashed piece of land. So I think I am helping to spread the native plants. I'm not doing either any more, my friend did sell her land, and the common things from the woods I was caretaker for are now established in my own garden. Now I spread them from one part of my garden to another, as I gradually reclaim more of the trashed land. I also buy plants from reputable native plant nurseries that advertise no wild collecting.
rainbowgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #62
Unicellular Fungi

Naaa, that's not wild collecting. I'd collect plants from a friend selling land to be developed. I would also invite all my friends along to snatch and grab if I could.

Tags
collection”, “field