Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #1
Fox

Default An Early Visit to the Carney Fen State Natural Area

I say early because spring comes late to the swamps/bogs/fens. Even though we've had a very warm spring thus far in my area, the spring events in these lowland wetlands are pretty much on their normal schedule. I'll never forget the time I spent a few days in the cranberry growing region in Wisconsin. The weather forecasts in that area always included "the temperature in the bogs today ... ".

The Carney Fen State natural Area is located in Menominee County in the southern Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Some of the things we saw last Friday:

1. Calypso bulbosa flower- Calypso orchid, Fairy-slipper orchid
2. Calypso bulbosa flower
3. The whole plant is about 4 inches tall, with one leaf.
4. If you should go on a trip to find and photograph the calypso orchid, here's the challenge - the plant is in this photo. This is pretty close to the view you would have just standing an looking for the plant; of course you wouldn't know it was there.
Attached Thumbnails
An Early Visit to the Carney Fen State Natural Area-calypso-bulbosa-1.jpg   An Early Visit to the Carney Fen State Natural Area-calypso-bulbosa-2.jpg   An Early Visit to the Carney Fen State Natural Area-calypso-bulbosa-3.jpg   An Early Visit to the Carney Fen State Natural Area-calypso-bulbosa-4.jpg  
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
Fox

A few more things we saw on our visit:

1. A pretty little violet that I didn't take time to ID.
2. Coptis trifolia - Three-leaved Gold-thread in bloom; so named because the root looks like a gold thread.
3. Ledum groenlandicum - Labrador Tea starting to bloom.
4. The underside of the leaf of Labrador Tea, which is a nice ID key.
5. A look at some of the habitat in the natural area.
Attached Thumbnails
An Early Visit to the Carney Fen State Natural Area-violet-1.jpg   An Early Visit to the Carney Fen State Natural Area-coptis-trifolia-1.jpg   An Early Visit to the Carney Fen State Natural Area-ledum-groenlandicum-1.jpg   An Early Visit to the Carney Fen State Natural Area-ledum-groenlandicum-2.jpg   An Early Visit to the Carney Fen State Natural Area-habitat-1.jpg  

Old 05-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

My hubbies aunt always drank Labrador tea.... I forget what she said it helped ease.....
Perhaps it was to soothe the arthritis? Too bad so many of the old remedies get lost....

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
Fox

Wow, I guess all the time I spend running in the woods lloking at the ground has paid off because I spotted the flower right off.
I'm pretty sure your unIDed flower is a Sweet White Violet (Viola blanda). PLANTS Profile for Viola blanda (sweet white violet) | USDA PLANTS
I'd be more excited about being able to name a flower right off if I hadn't had to ID this same one just yesterday!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #5

An Early Visit to the Carney Fen State Natural Area-dscf0997-possibly-calopogon-tuberosus.jpg
Last July, while fighting the clawing bog with a friend, I spied this Calopogon tuberosus.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
Fox

Quote:
Wow, I guess all the time I spend running in the woods lloking at the ground has paid off because I spotted the flower right off.
Good spotting! I do a lot of looking at the ground too, interspersed with episodes of branches in the face, face plants, and 'where am I?' .
Quote:
I'm pretty sure your unIDed flower is a Sweet White Violet (Viola blanda). PLANTS Profile for Viola blanda (sweet white violet) | USDA PLANTS
Could well be, but I've got at least 5 white flowered violets in my area so the next time I'll have to make an effort to gather more detailed info.
Quote:
Last July, while fighting the clawing bog with a friend, I spied this Calopogon tuberosus.
Nice plant; they also have the white version up there. If I remember correctly, 24 species of native orchids have been documented at the Carney Fen natural area.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
Could well be, but I've got at least 5 white flowered violets in my area so the next time I'll have to make an effort to gather more detailed info.
I should have known there wouldn't be a simple ID of a flower as ubiquitous as violets, especially without being able to see the foliage.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
Heron

I've been to Carney Fen, with Equil. A lovely place.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #9
Heron

I think I like the third Calypso photo the best, shows the whole plant nicely. That's one I've wanted to see for decades, literally, but haven't been lucky enough to find them so far. There are no bogs nearby here, so unless I luck out some time when visiting another state, I'm not likely to ever get to photograph that beauty.

Your violet might be Viola lanceolata, they like bogs and/or wet, sandy acid soil.

John
Old 12-22-2016, 09:37 PM   #10

Hello there.... Tis already 6 years past and I just ran into my notes taken while on this journey alongside you.
Funny how fast time passes. Been adding the names to the photos I had taken.

An Early Visit to the Carney Fen State Natural Area-dscf6032-polygala-paucifolia-gaywings.jpg
I took photos of what I believe to be the Polygala paucifolia gaywings
An Early Visit to the Carney Fen State Natural Area-dscf6120.jpg
and also (the only photo I could pin it down to possibly being) the dragons mouth. Am I correct in labeling it as such?

Something I'm wondering.... Is the dragons mouth another name for the gaywings or are they something entirely different?
Photos of them appear very much alike once the floral pod opens, yet the floral stalk of what they're calling the dragons mouth appears a bit taller.

Tags
area, bog plant photos, bog plants, calypso bulbosa flower, calypso orchid, carney, carney fen, carney fen state natural area, coptis trifolia, early, fairy slipper orchid, fen, groenlandicum, labrador tea, ledum, ledum groenlandicum, michigan, native plant photos, native plants, natural, natural areas, orchid, state, three leaved gold thread, visit