Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2016, 11:23 AM   #11
WG Facebook Administrator

The first one sure looks like Polygala. Pretty common here in NH, although I never saw it in WNY.

Dragon's-mouth is an orchid: https://gobotany.newenglandwild.org/...thusa/bulbosa/
Old 12-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #12
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Hello there.... Tis already 6 years past and I just ran into my notes taken while on this journey alongside you.
Funny how fast time passes. Been adding the names to the photos I had taken.

Attachment 44492
I took photos of what I believe to be the Polygala paucifolia gaywings
Attachment 44493
and also (the only photo I could pin it down to possibly being) the dragons mouth. Am I correct in labeling it as such?

Something I'm wondering.... Is the dragons mouth another name for the gaywings or are they something entirely different?
Photos of them appear very much alike once the floral pod opens, yet the floral stalk of what they're calling the dragons mouth appears a bit taller.
The two plants are quite different. It's a common mistake though to think that the Gay-Wings might be an orchid. The Gay-Wing flowers do look a lot like an orchid flower.

The Gay-Wings are typically 4 - 5 inches tall and have rounded/oval leaves. The Dragon's-Mouth is typically 8 - 12 inches tall and has grass like leaves. In your photo the Dragon's-Mouth flower hasn't completely opened which is why it looks somewhat similar to an unopened Gay-Wings flower.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #13
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
The first one sure looks like Polygala. Pretty common here in NH, although I never saw it in WNY.

Dragon's-mouth is an orchid: https://gobotany.newenglandwild.org/...thusa/bulbosa/
So they are... entirely different then not just another name for the same plant as in like vinca and periwinkle

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:15 PM   #14
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
The two plants are quite different. It's a common mistake though to think that the Gay-Wings might be an orchid. The Gay-Wing flowers do look a lot like an orchid flower.

The Gay-Wings are typically 4 - 5 inches tall and have rounded/oval leaves. The Dragon's-Mouth is typically 8 - 12 inches tall and has grass like leaves. In your photo the Dragon's-Mouth flower hasn't completely opened which is why it looks somewhat similar to an unopened Gay-Wings flower.
I knew how short the gaywings were as I see them quite frequently.... and the only photos I could find of the dragons mouth showed only the flowers which seemed to be upon taller stalks. Now if they had shown the leaves for comparison or if MY photo had more than just the florals it would have made it an easier task to ID it. So I DID tag it correctly!

Thank you both of you for your input.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
area, bog plant photos, bog plants, calypso bulbosa flower, calypso orchid, carney, carney fen, carney fen state natural area, coptis trifolia, early, fairy slipper orchid, fen, groenlandicum, labrador tea, ledum, ledum groenlandicum, michigan, native plant photos, native plants, natural, natural areas, orchid, state, three leaved gold thread, visit