Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2017, 07:51 AM   #531
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator
 
havalotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Default

THIS Saturday! April 22, 2017 before dawn
Quote:
The Lyrid meteor shower – April’s shooting stars –
lasts from about April 16 to 25.The Lyrids are known for uncommon surges that can sometimes bring the rate up to 100 per hour.
EarthSky's meteor shower guide for 2017 | Astronomy Essentials | EarthSky
__________________
The successful woman is the woman that had the chance and took it!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #532
Fox
 
MaggyNoLia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Carolina
Default

It's going to be an eyes to the sky month this August of 2017!

Kicking off on the 12th we have the perseids although the near full phase of the moon will interfere with how many we'll be able to see. Best suggestions for viewing seem to be the following Monday and Tuesday when the moon won't be quite so bright. I know I'll be watching and hopefully capturing a few shots of some meteors.
Check out this link for more viewing info https://www.space.com/32868-perseid-...wer-guide.html

And of course of August 21st we have the Solar Eclipse! I don't know about ya'll but I am so excited for this event. We're going to have shadow bands, baily's beads, diamond rings and 360 degree sunrise colors in our skies! Please make sure you absolutely protect your eyes and any equipment lenses you use to view the eclipse. Solar eclipse glasses are a must and if you plan on using a scope or camera make sure you have a solar filter!

What is that stuff I just talked about?
  • Shadow Bands - the mountains and valleys of the moon create shadows create visible shadows on earth in the seconds just before the moon totally covers the sun. The light from the sun wraps around those mountains and valleys when the light is just a sliver and this in turn creates the shadow bands. Some have likened the zig zaggy movements to snakes writhing on the ground.
  • Baily's Beads - again caused by the mountains and valleys on the moon. As the moon covers the sun and less and less light is seen the mountains and valleys will cut off the light and you'll only see the sun in the places that don't block the light and it will look like little glowing beads around the edge of the moon. This is just seconds before totality.
  • Diamond Ring - This happens right as the moon is completely covering the sun, but still has a little more light showing on the opposite side from where the moon is coming from. As that last little sliver on the left of the sun recedes we'll see a glowing ring punctuated by a starburst at around position 10:30 looking at the face of the sun.
  • 360 Degree Sunrise - Yes, that is correct. The light will mimic that of a sunrise and the whole landscape will be bathed in an awesome sunrisy glow....360 degrees worth!

So get out and check out the eclipse! Sky Watch: Start planning now for August’s total solar eclipse – Twin Cities

Also, please make sure to post any pictures here later if you capture any of these stunning events!
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:48 PM   #533
Hippie Gardener
 
katjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggyNoLia View Post
It's going to be an eyes to the sky month this August of 2017!

Kicking off on the 12th we have the perseids although the near full phase of the moon will interfere with how many we'll be able to see. Best suggestions for viewing seem to be the following Monday and Tuesday when the moon won't be quite so bright. I know I'll be watching and hopefully capturing a few shots of some meteors.
Check out this link for more viewing info https://www.space.com/32868-perseid-...wer-guide.html

And of course of August 21st we have the Solar Eclipse! I don't know about ya'll but I am so excited for this event. We're going to have shadow bands, baily's beads, diamond rings and 360 degree sunrise colors in our skies! Please make sure you absolutely protect your eyes and any equipment lenses you use to view the eclipse. Solar eclipse glasses are a must and if you plan on using a scope or camera make sure you have a solar filter!

What is that stuff I just talked about?
  • Shadow Bands - the mountains and valleys of the moon create shadows create visible shadows on earth in the seconds just before the moon totally covers the sun. The light from the sun wraps around those mountains and valleys when the light is just a sliver and this in turn creates the shadow bands. Some have likened the zig zaggy movements to snakes writhing on the ground.
  • Baily's Beads - again caused by the mountains and valleys on the moon. As the moon covers the sun and less and less light is seen the mountains and valleys will cut off the light and you'll only see the sun in the places that don't block the light and it will look like little glowing beads around the edge of the moon. This is just seconds before totality.
  • Diamond Ring - This happens right as the moon is completely covering the sun, but still has a little more light showing on the opposite side from where the moon is coming from. As that last little sliver on the left of the sun recedes we'll see a glowing ring punctuated by a starburst at around position 10:30 looking at the face of the sun.
  • 360 Degree Sunrise - Yes, that is correct. The light will mimic that of a sunrise and the whole landscape will be bathed in an awesome sunrisy glow....360 degrees worth!

So get out and check out the eclipse! Sky Watch: Start planning now for August’s total solar eclipse – Twin Cities

Also, please make sure to post any pictures here later if you capture any of these stunning events!
Thanks for sharing all this info! I'm hoping it's not a cloudy day in West Michigan on eclipse day. Can't wait to see some photos!
__________________
One with the earth, with the sky, one with everything in life. I believe it will start with conviction of the heart.
~Kenny Loggins~
katjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #534
Fox
 
MaggyNoLia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Carolina
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
Thanks for sharing all this info! I'm hoping it's not a cloudy day in West Michigan on eclipse day. Can't wait to see some photos!
You're welcome and I've actually got alternate locations picked out all the way from where I live to 2 states away. I'm hoping for clear skies but I'm not going to let clouds stop me if I can avoid it.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #535
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator
 
havalotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Default

Can you take a few shots with a camera if you just aim at it (NOT looking through it) Or does it burn out your lens or something other if you do????
__________________
The successful woman is the woman that had the chance and took it!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:28 AM   #536
Fox
 
MaggyNoLia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Carolina
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Can you take a few shots with a camera if you just aim at it (NOT looking through it) Or does it burn out your lens or something other if you do????
It is recommended that all cameras have a solar eclipse filter. B&H Photo still has filters available and you can buy cardboard/mylar film filters for as little as 22 bucks. DO NOT VIEW through your cameras viewfinder! Viewfinder viewing is a big no no. Instead use the live view setting with your camera and only IF you've put a filter over your lens. Live view is where you are looking at the digital screen on the back of your camera.

I just recently read an article where a guy from one of the major camera stores put some discounted cameras to the test. Nothing he did seemed to have any effect on the digital sensors, but holes wee burned through film. I however don't have a warehouse full of cameras to take a chance with so my camera will have a solar eclipse filter on it.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:31 AM   #537
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator
 
havalotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Default

Looking through the viewfinder.....I figured THAT was a no go but it's good you stated that right up front to whomever may be following.

So the test shots taken of an eclipse did not hurt the camera itself....
just that the printed matter was hmmm overblown in the more bright shots it had captured?

I was thinking of just aiming the camera at the eclipse, Not really looking at it per say and then do a light press to hopefully have it focused somewhat upon it before pressing it all the way to take a shot or two. Maybe I'll try moving a couple pieces of colored see through plastic sheets over the lens and take a few shots to dim it a bit. They'd be whatever color I flung over it but perhaps worth a try to capture.......... something.
__________________
The successful woman is the woman that had the chance and took it!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:52 PM   #538
Fox
 
MaggyNoLia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Carolina
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
So the test shots taken of an eclipse did not hurt the camera itself....
just that the printed matter was hmmm overblown in the more bright shots it had captured?

I was thinking of just aiming the camera at the eclipse, Not really looking at it per say and then do a light press to hopefully have it focused somewhat upon it before pressing it all the way to take a shot or two. Maybe I'll try moving a couple pieces of colored see through plastic sheets over the lens and take a few shots to dim it a bit. They'd be whatever color I flung over it but perhaps worth a try to capture.......... something.
I read that in a USA Today article and since reading that I've read several more reports that say don't take the chance. You can however use a pair of solar eclipse glasses over the lens of a cell phone camera...but take that with a grain of salt as well. I would at the least use the glasses over the lens....
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:02 AM   #539
Fox
 
MaggyNoLia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Carolina
Default

Perseids...

Yes I went out to shoot them, however it wasn't the best of nights. The moonlight was more than I would normally want but I didn't have much choice with rain predicted for the next couple of nights after. I do need to go through the shots I did manage to take in between the cloud cover and rain showers.

On my way home from shooting the meteor shower I stopped to get a sunrise shot and tripped over my own feet. Luckily I didn't hurt myself but the same can't be said for my camera. Now it only works after some vigorous shaking so off to the camera doctor it goes.

I was really bummed about my camera especially with the eclipse right around the corner and no possibility of a return of my camera before the big day. I made a post on a local photo clubs site and some angel offered use of a second camera they own....so now I can shoot the eclipse again! Hopefully I'll have better luck than I did with the meteors.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #540
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator
 
havalotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Default

Wow you lucked out on that one. Hubbies now thinking of heading south but there's not a pair of glasses to be found. Already back up of traffic and he wants to head there the morning of. DUH Ah honey we had to leave as in right now! I'm sure he'll do an about face on the trip once he looks into it. Booooooooooo I so wanted to experience the real deal
__________________
The successful woman is the woman that had the chance and took it!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
atmospheric, atmospheric photos, cloud, cloud formations, clouds, drought, dust devil, dust storm, hail, halo, hurricane, lightening, phenomena, rain, rainbow, sky, storm, storms, sun, sundog, sunset, thunder storms, tornado, weather, weather photos

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2