Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #41
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Ok.......Take two....
I love A good storm If it's NOT damaging
That sounds better now doesn't it.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #42

I just found the photo I had meant to put into the last post I did..
Atmospheric Phenomena ---- Weather-dscf7163.jpg
It has much more depth and color to it.
Atmospheric Phenomena ---- Weather-dscf6573.jpg
A different rainbow entirely as seen through my filbert tree.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #43
Fox

The filbert rainbow is a cool shot. I play with the rainbows all the time. I frame our house, a neighbors house, I shoot through trees and arbors and I make the rainbows go in and out of any manner of object that I think would look neat. Sometimes I do okay, sometimes it's a disaster.

Now storms I love. I get a little uneasy when the winds pick up....living through a major hurricane can do that to ya, but my love of a storms overcomes even that. When I was little I would sit and watch storms for hours on end. Put this love together with my passion for photography and I just had to try to capture lightning.

I wasn't very successful at first. I've probably taken thousands of grey sky pictures. Then I got lucky. I captured a bolt. Now taking one picture of lightning is like eating one lays potato chip...ya can't do it!

So what are my techniques? Optimally I want a storm that will skirt the horizon over the reservoir. Those are far enough away that I can sit out back on the deck and not fear getting struck. They're also raining over there, not on me.

The next thing that I need is a storm with frequent lightning. Those keep you on your toes and I think that makes your fingers move a little quicker. If you're only getting bolts every four or five minutes your reaction time is going to be slower and with me that just ups the chance for distraction.

Conditions aren't always kind enough to position the storms where I want them to be. If it's pouring I'll still try....from an open doorway, the front porch and even from under an awning we have out back. If I can keep the camera dry, I'm gonna try. I've also used my car and a large parking lot. Position your car with a window that opens facing the lightning and then depending on the direction of the rain you open either the passenger window or the drivers window.

Oh yea. I almost forgot the camera settings that I use. I use my aperture priority, which on my camera is Av, and I usually have that set at about 5.0. I choose a spot on the horizon where I can find something the camera will focus on. I want that spot to be the closest point to the sky and in the vicinity where the majority of lightning is occurring. Then you wait.

If the bolt is long enough you can react and press the shutter in time. If it isn't a long enough bolt then you can try to guess based on the rhythm of the bolts. I've had some success with this. Lastly and not to be overlooked and I really mean it is just do random short bursts. Sooner or later you'll catch one this way and if you're using a digital camera like I am, you can afford to do bursts.

Go ahead, try it. You know you want to.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #44
Fox

Oooo that's long. My apologies for the above novel.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #45
Great Horned Owl

No, that was interesting and informative. I appreciate the pictures you took even more now.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #46

Quote:
Go ahead, try it. You know you want to.
You guessed it!
I liked how your rainbow cupped the tree in your photo. It DOES make them more interesting than bare sky shots.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #47
Great Horned Owl

SymbolPurple

I was trying to find a spot to post this, and this one seemed in the ball park. In Massachusetts today, seven miles from the NH border, we have a heat index of 105! My car told me it was 99 degrees out.

Is this global warming?????

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #48
WG Contest Coordinator

no, it is just freakin hot outside
I was just in MA this weekend, visiting Cambridge with my daughter!

We should not use the term "global warming" it confuses people when the winter is rather harsh. It is better to use the term "Climate Change".

Not that it makes it less hot outside...

It is so hot here in jersey near Princeton that the bugs are frying in midair like some insane bug zapper...
Old 07-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #49
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tineckbone View Post
We should not use the term "global warming" it confuses people when the winter is rather harsh. It is better to use the term "Climate Change".
I agree. Although the mean global temperature (now including the oceans) is indeed increasing, the amount is imperceptible to the casual observer, and it is not uniform (some parts of the globe actually may be getting slightly cooler). One consequence that most climate models predict is that weather events will become more chaotic and intense (with more incidents both of very heavy precipitation and prolonged droughts). We may well be in for living in 'interesting times'...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #50

Some great mammatus clouds just rolled in and ended my outdoor project. It's only the second time I've ever seen them in my life! Really some cool looking clouds.....

Tags
atmospheric, atmospheric photos, cloud, cloud formations, clouds, drought, dust devil, dust storm, hail, halo, hurricane, lightening, phenomena, rain, rainbow, sky, storm, storms, sun, sundog, sunset, thunder storms, tornado, weather, weather photos