Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I wanna see more.... Take our hand and lead us over that edge.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

The edge was pretty scary. I don't go that close to ANY edges unless I feel I won't lose my footing or there's something to hang onto. Here's a photo looking to the coast, one looking inland, and one going down. I zoomed in to get all three photos. I'll add more photos next week when I get home. This was an experience of a lifetime. I'm glad we decided to go for it. The next time we go back... if we ever do... chances are real good we won't be in good enough shape to do the Alaka'i Swamp except in a chopper. We're not spring chickens any more you know.
Attached Thumbnails
Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0663.jpg   Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0664.jpg   Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0667.jpg  
Old 01-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
WG Operations, Facilitator

Equil-
Thanks for sharing the adventures of your fabulous trip with us. Felt like I was right there hiking with you when I was looking at your amazing photos!

I'm looking forward to hearing more details about your experience of a lifetime and seeing more of your stunning photography.

Thanks for making me smile today despite being trapped in the frozen tundra of the north.

BooBooBearBecky
Old 01-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

My photos suck but... thanks for making me feel better about them. I do have more photos that are going to make your stomach turn from some of the angles and heights but they're going to have to wait. I tried to take photos because I was so excited about what I was seeing and wanted anyone going who might not know about the Alaka'i Swamp to try it instead of hanging out at a beach for a day if I could entice them to. The last time we tried to do the Alaka'i Swamp it was snowing up there and I was afraid of losing my footing so we passed on trying to go for it. I have problems with balance like most people who have lost hearing so I'm pretty impressed with myself for getting as close to the edges as I did. Oddly enough most of the Hawaiian Islands are loaded with invasives. There's hardly anything here that's native unless you go up to higher elevations. Isn't that sad? That's another reason why I'm really glad we decided to go for the Alaka'i Swamp when we did. Personally, another 10 years and I don't think there will be much more to see other than chickens, cats, doves, pigs, mongoose, goats, deer, rats, and palm trees. When nightfall comes, the rats are crawling all over the mountains oozing like a festering infection. It's pretty sad. It's really gotten progressively worse here since we've been visiting. Alaska is where I'd like to be believe it or not. Alaska excites me and I hope we do better by that state than we've done by Hawaii. I was looking at the local news and saved this, Mangrove trees poisoned, left to rot |Hawaii247.org | Hawaii 24/7 We're in big time trouble if more people ignorantly jump on his band wagon. The mangroves need to go.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #15
Pope

Equilibrium, I also feel as though you have taken us with you on your fabulous hike. Your vacation slides shows are never boring! Keep them coming!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #16
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Your photos are giving us a view of Hawaii many will never see.
Thankyou-Equill

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #17
Fox

I loved your photos Equilibrium. Thank you.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #18
WG Facilitator

Your secret garden was gorgeous AND and an adventure.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

I'm home... and I'm happy to see the snow falling. I missed it. More down and a little still life I found.
Attached Thumbnails
Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0667.jpg   Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0666.jpg   Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0665.jpg  
Old 02-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #20
Official Plant Nerd

I suspect the sedge is introduced. A short path to the edge and a peek over.
Attached Thumbnails
Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0670.jpg   Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0669.jpg   Alaka'i Wilderness... the secret garden of Kauai-img_0668.jpg  

Tags
alaka'i swamp of kauai, alakai, alakai swamp, caldera, caldera floor, garden, hiking, kauai, kauai's alakai swamp, native areas, natural areas, photographs, pictures, pictures of natural areas, pihea trail, secret, swamp, swamp habitat, swamp of kauai, swamps, wetlands, wilderness