Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 05:39 AM   #11
Unicellular Fungi

"If ya kept your toddlers and pets indoors, where they belong...no problem."

PF, the biggest reason for going to Grandpa's house is the Great Outdoors. Kids, like their parents and grandparents belong outside. We're rather proud of the fact that our grandbabies prefer running the property to being inside watching TV. Even in the winter, we need to have spares of all their warm outside clothes so they always have dry things to wear every time they go out.

The 'trick' of course is to be out there to watch the toddlers and the pets, not to keep them inside.

And we only lost one toddler. . . . to the tall grasses, not cougars or wolves. Fortunately for us (her?) the outside pet tracked her down and brought her back to the 'civilized' part of the yard.
Smart Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
The 'trick' of course is to be out there to watch the toddlers and the pets, not to keep them inside.
Agreed.

A year ago or so, there was a woman who went to work and tied up her beagle outside her back door. She routinely did this so as not to have to come home at lunch to let her dog out to pee and poop. We have coyotes in this area. One evening she returned to a head stuck in a collar with no body to her dog anywhere to be found. The media latched onto it. The owner of the dog was portrayed as a victim. I'm sure it was gruesome but when you live in an area that has coyotes, you can't leave for work tying your supposedly beloved dog up like that for hours on end.

As a parent, I never left our preschoolers or lower elementary children unsupervised. As a dog owner, our dogs are always on a leash. As a cat owner, our cats are always inside 100% of the time. Unfortunately Smart Red, people aren't exactly always responsible parents (grandparents) or pet owners these days and its always the big bad wolf's fault never the parent's fault when there is an incident.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #13
Too Wild To Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiefreak View Post
If ya kept your toddlers and pets indoors, where they belong...no problem.
I grew up in the great outdoors, which is how I came to love nature. And my children will grow up the same way.
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #14
Unicellular Fungi

Mine too.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:04 PM   #15
Heron

Toddlers and small pets in areas that have coyotes, and/or bears and/or cougars absolutely do not belong outside unsupervised, ever. Period. You can't blame a predator for picking off small prey. They don't have the same value system we have. Nature red in tooth and claw, and all that.

Don't even get me going on people who let their cats and dogs roam free.
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #16
Too Wild To Garden

Well, that's good, because toddlers should never be left unsupervised anywhere, ever! :P
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowhunting, deer, nature, panel, proposal