Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 09:41 AM   #21
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I wouldn't destroy them for the meager amount you'd get. They are too pretty!

If you want to try tubers, may I suggest the jerusalem artichoke. They are MUCh larger and very plentiful if you ever find a stand of them and there's no harm done to the colony as they are very prolific! See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_artichoke
I totally agree. I would *never* dig these beauties up to eat. I was just curious to know if anyone had ever tried them and what they tasted like.
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:15 AM   #22
Lungwort

Yeah, I just can't bring myself to dig up such a beautiful plant. Seems kind of immoral to me.
Definitely try gathering some seeds this year. A small light-brown capsule forms where the flowers used to be. In my area, they show up late April to early May.
Helianthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:32 AM   #23
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helianthus View Post
Yeah, I just can't bring myself to dig up such a beautiful plant. Seems kind of immoral to me.
Definitely try gathering some seeds this year. A small light-brown capsule forms where the flowers used to be. In my area, they show up late April to early May.
I always miss gathering seeds from my spring ephemerals. I'm just not in "seed mode" that early in the year. I'm determined to pay attention this year!
I have not tasted spring beauty tubers, but I think a couple of my kids have eaten them. I don't have enough in my yard to dig any up to taste them.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:22 PM   #24
Grub

I have read that Claytonia seeds are recalcitrant, they lose viability quickly. When you collect the fresh seed, its best to sow them immediately and don't allow the soil to dry out. I will also be looking to collect seeds from these plants in my yard this year.
skip1909 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2019, ephemerals, spring