Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Hacklebarney State Park, NJ

Good advice on how to get there from this site, Beginners - Intermediate Hike at Hacklebarney State Park - NJ/PA/NY 20-30's OUT & ABOUT (Montclair , NJ) - Meetup, "GPS Coordinates:DMS 40 45 05.04 N 74 44' 09.63" W
Directions:
Route 206 to Chester. Follow Route 24/513 S. (Main St.) west towards Long Valley for one mile. Make a Sharp Left onto State Park Road. Contin. for two miles. Road takes a sharp turn to your left. Pass the Cider Mill on right. Make a Right after the cider Mill to continue on State Park Rd./Hacklebarney Rd. and travel 1/2 mile. The entrance is on the left.
**Do not follow Google Maps or Map Quest** They will take you the wrong way.

Don't forget your camera! ;-)"
--
Some more nice photos taken by someone else who visited the park here, Gone Hikin': Hacklebarney State Park, NJ.
Attached Thumbnails
Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3354.jpg  
Old 10-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

I was reading some reviews at another site before I decided this was a park we wouldn't want to miss and these 2 review in particular caught my attention, Hacklebarney State Park - Long Valley, NJ, "Been going here for over 40 years. It's a nice place to go for a short hike (longest trail red-yellow-white loop) takes about 2.5 to 3 hours. Much shorter hikes available using a network of well-posted and mostly paved trails. The red trail adjacent to the river is not paved - and has the best hiking; must hop from rock-to-rock, over roots and around trees. Good ankle workout. Highlights are a nice waterfall with large rocks the kids have fun climbing on, and the red trails along the black river (swimming allowed, though 'wading' is occasionally seen). The place has dozens of spots with picnic tables and grills, and benches along the water for some nice, restful views. Between the local town of Chester and the park, there is the Hacklebarney Cider Mill. Great stop for fresh cider and donuts in the fall!" and "OK, this may be weird, but I love this place. This park is a really beautiful place, and if you can get there during the week, it's usually pretty quiet. It basically consists of two valleys cut through the rocks and hillside by the glaciers during the last ice age. From the parking lot it's all down hill literally. When you get to the bottom of the first valley, your met by a wonderful stream running through some tall stands of hard woods, and a path that will take you to various picnic tables, some with grills. Keep on the path, and you will be greeted by the soothing sound of rushing water from the stream making it's way down another drop off to the Black River at the very bottom of the park. There are a couple of almost hidden picnic areas farther down steam,great for being alone with your SO, or just to do some quiet meditation. I actually carved my ex's,and my initials some where down there, but that was a long time ago. This is the perfect time to go, as the water should be high, and pretty dramatic for photo ops. So if you decide to take the trip, bring a couple of important items. First, a camera,or sketch book. Second, a really good pair of hiking shoes, preferably water resistant. This place is real good at turning the unwary ankle. Third, food, and water, as there are no places to get anything at the park. Also, the temp. at the bottom of the valley can be about 10 to 15 degrees colder than the parking lot, since it doesn't get to much direct sun. I've done a lot of my best photo work here, and a lot of great mind clearing too. To get there, you need to go through Chester NJ on old Rt 124 west, you'll see a sign about a mile or two west of the town for the park. Not surprisingly, it's on Hackle Barney Rd. There is a really great little cider mill and bakery on the road too. So on your way out you can re fuel. There are also some good places to eat in Chester. Another reason to go during the week is I think they charge a fee on the weekends"
Attached Thumbnails
Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3355.jpg   Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3357.jpg   Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3358.jpg   Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3359.jpg  
Old 10-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

There's just something about decomposers that really fascinates me!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3361.jpg   Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3362.jpg   Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3364.jpg   Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3367.jpg  
Old 10-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

I was really thrilled with the dramatic lighting in this 1st photo.... actually with the sun peeking in and out of clouds throughout the time we spent there.... we did have a lot of photo ops!!! I'm pretty sure MasterAnts got some really nice photos of some of the plants and some spent skunk cabbage. I caught that the area musta been filled with them in spring when we walked through 1 of the lower lying areas along the river. I bet that area is breathtakingly beautiful in late winter with all the skunk cabbages heating up and melting the snow they're poking up through.
Attached Thumbnails
Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3368.jpg   Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3369.jpg   Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3370.jpg   Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3372.jpg   Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3371.jpg  

Old 10-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

All of Hacklebarney was laced with little rest stops overlooking the river like the bench I photographed. Me... hava... and MasterAnts had a blast hopping over rocks and jumping fallen logs once we got off the main trail.
Attached Thumbnails
Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3373.jpg   Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3375.jpg   Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3376.jpg   Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3377.jpg   Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3378.jpg  

Old 10-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Is this the park you, hava and MILTA went to after we parted company at the willow?

The review makes it sound wonderful...and your pictures don't hurt any either. . Maybe we can make it out there one of these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
There's just something about decomposers that really fascinates me!!!
The fungi in the lat photo are quite attractive.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Here's the State's webpage on Hackebarney, Department of Environmental Protection. I really had a good time here just hangin' with MasterAnts and hava. There's something to be said for 3 people.... all who enjoy the same things.... poking around and unearthing treats then calling out to the others to come and look.
Attached Thumbnails
Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3379.jpg   Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3381.jpg   Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3382.jpg   Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3383.jpg   Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3385.jpg  

Old 10-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #8

Quote:
I was really thrilled with the dramatic lighting in this 1st photo.... actually with the sun peeking in and out of clouds throughout the time we spent there...
That is a beautiful shot!

Quote:
I bet that area is breathtakingly beautiful in late winter with all the skunk cabbages heating up and melting the snow they're poking up through.
Hmm...whaddaya say, daps, are you up for a late-winter-longing-for-signs-of-spring hike? You know skunk cabbage brings me hope that the winter is ending and spring is breaking through--something I really need come late February/early March.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 10-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
All of Hacklebarney was laced with little rest stops overlooking the river like the bench I photographed.
Nice photos of a beautiful setting.

...that's not a hosta in the fourth photo, is it?
Old 10-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

Sorry Dappy.... for some reason photos are loading reeeeeal slow today so I didn't see your post but yes.... this is the park the three of us were headed for and I really think you'll like it. Just try to go during the week because the parking lot was full by the time we got there and my bet is.... there were at least a coupla hundred cars in it. Most of the people were barbecuing and letting their kids run free within the 1st half mile of the main trail but once you got past that area.... people became far and few between until we got really far back and only ran into maybe 3 other groups of other diehards like us. We really enjoyed the solitude of it being just the 3 of us on the trails together. It was a great opportunity to talk and get to know each other better. MasterAnts is really a special person and I got the biggest kick out of his hearty laugh.
--
Here's a cheery little shroom from the 3 of us to you!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3387.jpg   Hacklebarney State Park, NJ-img_3389.jpg  

Tags
hacklebarney, park, state