Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Rickett's Glen, PA

A little blurb on Rickett's Glen, PADCNR-Ricketts Glen State Park, "Ricketts Glen harbors Glens Natural Area, a National Natural Landmark. Take the Falls Trail and explore the Glens, which boasts a series of wild, free-flowing waterfalls, each cascading through rock-strewn clefts in this ancient hillside. The 94-foot Ganoga Falls is the highest of 22 named waterfalls. Old growth timber and diverse wildlife add to the scenic area. Ricketts Glen State Park is one of the most scenic areas in Pennsylvania. This large park is comprised of 13,050 acres in Luzerne, Sullivan and Columbia counties."
--
The field office and beginning of the 'Falls Trail'.
Attached Thumbnails
Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3154.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3155.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3156.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3157.jpg  
Old 10-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

I lost track of all the names of the falls we passed while hiking the 'Falls Trail'.... maybe hava can identify them. All in all.... the waterfalls we passed were awesome and the air was filled with the sounds of running water which are so soothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3160.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3161.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3162.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3163.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3165.jpg  

Old 10-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Oh yes. That's the place that really nice guy smiled and told us just to follow the trails that were very well marked. Little did we know they intermingled with one another so you couldn't make heads nor tails about which way to turn. We got lost for three HOURS!
Quote:
I lost track of all the names of the falls we passed while hiking the 'Falls Trail'.... maybe hava can identify them.
Nope...The same nice guy just put x's on the map to show where they were. It didn't include any of their names on it.

All of the photos I took at this park show up as blue squares with a big question mark so I haven't any photos to share.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Here's a little blurb on the 'Falls Trail', "Falls Trail: 7.2 miles, most difficult hiking
The full loop of this trail is 7.2 miles if hiking both the upper and lower sections. To see most of the waterfalls, a 3.2-mile loop can be taken by going on Highland Trail and the Glen Leigh and Ganoga Glen sides of the trail. The trails follow along 21 beautiful waterfalls ranging in heights from 11 feet to 94 feet. The scenery is well worth the effort, however, the terrain is rocky, can be slippery, and descends steeply on both the Ganoga and Glen Leigh sides. Hikers should take extra precautions with trail conditions, wear proper footwear, stay on the trail, and be in good physical condition." And.... the scenery is definitely well worth the effort. I'd say it's difficulty was probably upper level easy to lower level moderate so I wouldn't let that description deter anyone but.... it probably would fall into the category of moderate when it's blanketed in leaves.
--
There's something around every bend in this trail. It really is as knock down gorgeous as the photos suggest.
Attached Thumbnails
Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3167.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3170.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3172.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3173.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3175.jpg  

Old 10-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

We really should get back there to explore. It has been a while...and we never explored as far or as much as we should have.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #6

What?! No pictures of "Stranger Danger Ranger" who rescued you?!

(Actually, I guess I should save the name "Stranger Danger" for the guy you describe when you were with Sage and Roger.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 10-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #7

Sorry, havalotta...at least Lib has some photos of the place.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

And about that very nice ranger dude who said the trails were well marked.... very well marked.... twenty whips with a wet noodle for him!!! Best I can figure from knowing we ended up on the 'Cherry Run Trail' is that we ultimately ended up on the 'Horseback Riding 12.5-mile loop' and.... that would explain all the weeds we kept running into.... horse poop and they poop out weed seed!!! Oh well.... at least that loop looped around and worse case scenario if that ranger hadn't picked us up is that we woulda had to hike back to the parking lot via the Old Beaver Dam Road Trail' which woulda only been another mile. After what we "hoofed" that day.... what's another mile at that point.
--
hava> Here's some more photos of the last leg of the 'Falls Trail' to tide you over until you recover yours. This is for sure a park I'd visit a 2nd time only since I've done it in fall.... I'd go back in spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3176.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3180.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3181.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3183.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3185.jpg  

Old 10-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

Some of the 'Cherry Run Trail' which for the most part.... was rather boring as all get out.
Attached Thumbnails
Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3186.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3187.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3188.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3191.jpg  
Old 10-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

More of which ever part of the horseback riding loop we ended up on!!! There were some pretty scenes to take in along a portion of that trail.... just not enough to make it worth the extra hours we ended up hiking it.
Attached Thumbnails
Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3192.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3193.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3195.jpg   Rickett's Glen, PA-img_3202.jpg  

Tags
glen, rickett