Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Moshannon State Forest, Pennsylvania Oct 2013

Here’s the address and presumably the phone number to either a visitor’s center or an administrative office within the park,
3372 State Park Rd Penfield, PA 15849
(814) 765-0821
--
Here’s a description of the area of Moshannon that we visited, PADCNR-Black Moshannon State Park. We walked the Bog Trail, the Lake Loop Trail, and a portion of the Indian Trail that I’m reading is supposedly somewhat more difficult trail but we didn’t find it to be difficult at all. It wasn’t level like the Bog Trail that was actually a boardwalk though but overall there was no challenge to it at all.
--
Here’s a pretty detailed pdf map of the Moshannon State Forest, http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/group...cnr_001907.pdf. I think I read somewhere that a portion of the trail system still wasn’t open to the public due to a fracking “accident” a few years ago…. I tried looking up what happened and where and really couldn’t find any more information beyond this, ‘Marcellus Well Blows out in Moshannon State Forest, PA’, The Marcellus Effect: Marcellus Well Blows out in Moshannon State Forest, PA, “He said polluted drilling water did not reach a waterway. About 1 million gallons of hydro-fracking fluid were released in addition to the gas….When DEP arrived on the scene natural gas and frack fluid was flowing off the well pad and heading toward tributaries to Little Laurel Run and gas was shooting into the sky, creating a significant fire hazard….Right now DEP is working to limit further environmental damage.” Like I said…. no updates that I could find online about the “accident”. I’m sure they capped off the shooting gas long ago…. doubtful they cleaned up the site from the toxic waste “spill” though. Anywhooo…. no updates on the “accident” or the exact location of where they’d been permitting fracking in relationship to the trails within Moshannon State Forest so…. if anyone’s looking to hike beyond the area of Moshannon that we visited…. it might be a good idea finding out exactly where that accident site is so it can be avoided.
--
Just another heads up….. evidently there’s a group out there actively trying to stop the leasing of public wilds to the likes of Haliburton…. they’ve been physically shutting down hydraulic fracturing sites with their bodies throughout all of Moshannon so that’s something else to be aware of…. who wants to get in the middle of that kind of a clash? Not me.
--
The 1st photo is just a sign to Moshannon…. I try to take photos of signs before I enter a park…. it helps me remember what photos were taken where. The 2nd photo was taken on the way to Moshannon… it was private property otherwise it would’ve been a nice spot to stop and have a snack.
Attached Thumbnails
Moshannon State Forest, Pennsylvania Oct 2013-img_3125.jpg   Moshannon State Forest, Pennsylvania Oct 2013-img_3123.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Here’s a really nice write up on the actual Black Moshannon where we were located on top of the Allegheny Plateau, Black Moshannon State Park PA, “Perched Black Moshannon State Park covers 3,394 acres of forests and wetlands, and includes 1992 acres which are protected as the Black Moshannon Bog Natural Area. The bog in the park provides a habitat for diverse wildlife not common in other areas of the state, such as carnivorous plants, orchids, and species normally found farther north. This bog is the largest reconstituted bog/wetland complex in Pennsylvania with the Black Moshannon Lake and the associated bogs are held behind a dam on Black Moshannon Creek, The CCC-built dam forming Black Moshannon Lake was replaced in the 1950s by the current structure. The park is atop the Allegheny Plateau, just west of the Allegheny Front, an escarpment which steeply rises 1,300 feet (400 m) in 4 miles (6.4 km), and marks the transition between the Ridge-and-Valley Appalachians to the east and the Allegheny Plateau to the west. The lake within the park is at an elevation of about 1,900 feet (580 m), and the park itself sits in a natural basin. The basin and the underlying sandstone trap water and thus form the lake and surrounding bogs. The higher elevation leads to a cooler climate, and the basin helps trap denser, cooler air, leading to longer winters and milder summers.”
--
We had the trails to ourselves because it was drizzling the whole time we visited…. what a shame. Overall…. a very nice representation of wetland species capable of supporting a diversity of wildlife. I even saw what appeared to be hibernacula of Drosera nestled in the sphagnum. Hard to tell because I didn’t want to step off the boardwalk to get a closer look but…. could have been D. rotundifolia. I didn’t see any evidence of Utricularia or Sarracenia but…. that doesn’t mean species from those genera weren’t there though…. somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Moshannon State Forest, Pennsylvania Oct 2013-img_3127.jpg   Moshannon State Forest, Pennsylvania Oct 2013-img_3128.jpg   Moshannon State Forest, Pennsylvania Oct 2013-img_3130.jpg   Moshannon State Forest, Pennsylvania Oct 2013-img_3132.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

I spotted nice regeneration of woodies occurring throughout the areas of the park we visited. That 2nd photo was just me trying to capture that oddball shape of a raindrop. It didn’t turn out too well…. I think my camera musta focused on another area not the raindrop.
Attached Thumbnails
Moshannon State Forest, Pennsylvania Oct 2013-img_3131.jpg   Moshannon State Forest, Pennsylvania Oct 2013-img_3136.jpg   Moshannon State Forest, Pennsylvania Oct 2013-img_3133.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

These photos are the beginning of the Indian Trail. Inviting…. Aren’t they!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Moshannon State Forest, Pennsylvania Oct 2013-img_3138.jpg   Moshannon State Forest, Pennsylvania Oct 2013-img_3139.jpg   Moshannon State Forest, Pennsylvania Oct 2013-img_3141.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Overall…. I’d rate these trails 9.5 on a scale of 1-10 for species diversity and I’d sure like to come back some day for a spring visit.
Attached Thumbnails
Moshannon State Forest, Pennsylvania Oct 2013-img_3143.jpg   Moshannon State Forest, Pennsylvania Oct 2013-img_3144.jpg   Moshannon State Forest, Pennsylvania Oct 2013-img_3146.jpg   Moshannon State Forest, Pennsylvania Oct 2013-img_3147.jpg  
Old 10-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Alternate POM Judge

Beautiful photos equil. Thanks for sharing
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
WG Fundraising Coordinator

What a beautiful park, it must have been great walking those trails, even in a drizzle. You must have quite a portfolio of parks you've been to now, how great!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
Heron

Pennsylvania sure has some nice parks; It's great you are sharing the great pictures you took.

I really like the mixed conifer/hardwood forests of Pennsylvania
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
Pennsylvania sure has some nice parks; It's great you are sharing the great pictures you took.

I really like the mixed conifer/hardwood forests of Pennsylvania
I agree sprucetree. I have been to quite a few PA parks and they were all wonderful.
EllenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Black Moshannon where we were located on top of the Allegheny Plateau...
BEA-u-tiful photos!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, forest, moshannon, oct, pennsylvania, state