Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi

The Jewel of Mississippi IMO…. Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi, MDWFP Parks & Destinations, “105 CR 90 - P.O. Box 880
Tishomingo, MS 38873
(662) 438-6914
tishomingo@mdwfp.state.ms.us

Located in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, Tishomingo State Park is steeped in history and scenic beauty. Archaeological excavations confirm the presence of Paleo Indians in the area now encompassed by the park as early as 7000 B.C.; the park takes its name from the leader of the Chickasaw nation, Chief Tishomingo. The famous Natchez Trace Parkway, the premier highway of the early 1800s and a modern scenic parkway, runs directly through the park. Today's visitors to Tishomingo State Park discover the same timeless natural beauty that enchanted the Indians centuries ago. Tishomingo offers a unique landscape of massive rock formations and fern-filled crevices found nowhere else in Mississippi. Massive boulders blanketed in moss dot the hillsides, and colorful wildflowers border trails once walked by Native Americans--
Hiking Trails
A 13-mile hiking trail system traverses the park, winding along rocky ridges with spectacular views, through shallow, fern-filled canyons, and beside the churning waters of Bear Creek. Trail maps are available at the park office.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tishomingo-State-Park-Mississippi-Map.pdf (57.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

This has got to be 1 of the top State Parks in the US and it is incredibly well maintained. Somebody cares about this park. The 1st place we stopped inside of Tishomingo was Saddleback Ridge. An intensely beautiful… albeit short hike up a trail. The entire trail couldn’t have been longer than a mile to and from the entrance.
--
On the entrance to the left…. if my photo was better…. you’d be able to read this, “From 1750 to 1836, Chieftain Tishomingo and his Chickasaw tribesmen traveled this famous trail over Saddleback Ridge into Freedom Hills, their happy hunting ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1427.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1428.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1429.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1430.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1434.jpg  

Old 01-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Early 19th century pioneer home that could be seen from the main drag through Tishomingo. There was a trail associated with this home that we thoroughly enjoyed. It started near the home and looped back. I wish I had a map of Tishomingo so I could share what the name of the trail was. As simple as it may sound…. The trail behind the home might have just been called ‘The Pioneer Cabin’ Trail. Here is a much better photo of the home, #74296: Pioneer Cabin in Tishomingo State Park - National Scenic Byways: Digital Library.
--
http://www.outdoorplaces.com/Destina...pi/tishomingo/, "
Another historical feature found in Tishomingo is a restored 1840's style log [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]cabin[/COLOR][/COLOR]. Donated in the early 1970's, the cabin was moved to the park from Prentiss County. Behind the cabin is a short loop trail that goes around the old CCC Pond. The surrounding forest is slowly reclaiming the area with flowering shrubs, water lilies, and cattails slowly choking off the shallow but photogenic waters. The small bridge over the dam that created the pond allows you to gaze down at small fish swimming just below the surface."
Attached Thumbnails
Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1435.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1437.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1439.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1441.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1444.jpg  

Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Bumper car bugs... I loved em as a kid and am still fascinated by them. Hard to tell but these could be Dineutus angustus. I think I hung out here for about 15 minutes just watching em. Isn't that log a beauty. To look at it... you'd almost think someone carved out the center.
Attached Thumbnails
Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1448.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1451.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1453.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1452.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1455.jpg  

Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Decomposers hard at work. And... I've never been able to pass up good bug "graffiti".
Attached Thumbnails
Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1454.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1457.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1456.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1458.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1460.jpg  

Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Breathtakingly beautiful, eh? These photos were taken behind the pioneer home on the loop trail.
--
Notice to all BirdNerds…. Tishomingo is LOADED, http://www.mdwfp.com/media/23177/birding_natchez.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1461.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1462.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1463.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1468.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1467.jpg  

Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

The 1st photo is probably my favorite. Sage would probably like it. The last 2 photos are taken standing in front of the pioneer home. How'd you like to walk out your front door and have that view!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1469.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1471.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1472.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

This 200' simple suspension bridge over Bear Creek was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corp. The trail associated with this swinging bridge might have been the Bear Creek Outcropping Trail. hava…. can you check your map on this. It’s not fresh on my memory any more since it’s been a coupla months and you were the “keeper” of all things maps. Heeeeeeeeeeeelp me out here if you can!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1473.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1475.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1476.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1477.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1478.jpg  

Old 01-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

More on the Bear Creek Loop, Bear Creek Loop | Tishomingo Mississippi Hikes | Trails.com,
Take a rugged hike at Tishomingo State Park. Here, the Appalachian foothills have stuck their toe into Mississippi and Bear Creek has cut a rocky gorge through sandstone, making for a park unlike any other in this book… This hike travels along Bear Creek, with its stone outcrops towering over rapids. Here’s the stats on half the trail,
“Trail Statistics & Information
Activity Type: Hiking
Nearby City: Tishomingo
Length: 4.1 total miles
Elevation Gain: Minimal
Trail Type: Loop
Skill Level: Difficult
Duration: 2.5 to 3.5 hours
Season: Year-round”
--
Me personally…. we did the whole trail… both loops and I wouldn’t rate it difficult…. moderate in fall because of the fallen leaves that can make it difficult maintaining your footing yes but… not difficult.
Attached Thumbnails
Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1479.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1482.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1481.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1484.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1486.jpg  

Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

This little area of the trail really captivated me. I think I submitted 1 of the photos to the photo of the month contest from this little creek. I was fascinated by the water dripping off the leaves.
Attached Thumbnails
Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1487.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1493.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1494.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1498.jpg   Tishomingo State Park, Mississippi-img_1499.jpg  

Tags
mississippi, park, state, tishomingo