Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #31
Official Plant Nerd

More on Dixon Springs, DNR, “Dixon Springs became a 19th century health spa which attracted hundreds to the seven springs of mineral-enriched water. A bathhouse provided mineral or soft water baths, hot or cold, available at any time. The natural beauty of the area and its interesting stone formations helped to give the park valley a more equable temperature in the summer than most of southern Illinois. This made the resort so popular that people came to Golconda by steamboat excursions from as far away as Paducah, KY, Evansville, IN, and Cairo. From Golconda they then traveled by train to within a couple miles of the park” Hmmmm….. good thing hava didn’t know that or she woulda gone in for a dip.
Attached Thumbnails
Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1717.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1718.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1719.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1720.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1721.jpg  

Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #32
Official Plant Nerd

Brownie points if someone can give the name of the tree in the last 2 photos of post #31 and the leaves are in the 1st 2 photos of this post and... it has to be a scientific name because there are 2 trees that share 1 of the same common names. It's 1 of my favorite trees for its bark and its spectacular fall colors and I've planted a few as "ornamentals" by my house.
Attached Thumbnails
Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1724.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1726.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1727-b.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1729.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1731-b.jpg  

Old 01-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #33
Heron

Fagus grandifolia American beech
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #34
Official Plant Nerd

Ding ding ding!!!! You got it!!!! Way to go recurve!!! Another common name for it is Ironwood and 1 of the common names for Carpinus betulus is Ironwood too. I have both species planted here but the Fagus blows the Carpinus away in fall hands down. The sun was just right in the sky when I took those photos. I couldn't have asked for better color. When I emptied my camera I just sat there and looked at my screen and was like WOW!!! The bark on that species is something really special too.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #35
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Ding ding ding!!!! You got it!!!! Way to go recurve!!! Another common name for it is Ironwood and 1 of the common names for Carpinus betulus is Ironwood too. I have both species planted here but the Fagus blows the Carpinus away in fall hands down. The sun was just right in the sky when I took those photos. I couldn't have asked for better color. When I emptied my camera I just sat there and looked at my screen and was like WOW!!! The bark on that species is something really special too.
Round these parts we have 2 other ironwoods Ostrya virginiana Hop hornbeam and Carpinus caroliniana musclewood or blue beech hence the importance of latin names
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #36
Official Plant Nerd

Right you are!!! Ostrya does go by the common name of Ironwood sometimes!!! I've got those here too. They're a great tree.... their seeds remind me of dangly earrings.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #37
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Way to go..... Equill
I lag at post #12 to give you room to post whatever you'd like to add about the cave and lead you towards the "next" stop to add a few.
I stop in to continue leapfrogging and see....... You took it all the way to the end!

Last of the maps for those who wish to traverse the GREAT...."Natchez Trail" http://www.natcheztracetravel.com/ma...-tennessee.pdf

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #38
Official Plant Nerd

Uh oh.... did I screw something up? Did I miss a thread somewhere these were supposed to go in? I'm off tomorrow... I can save em and move em where ever they belong then get somebody to delete em from here.
--
Soon as you get back.... tell me what to do because I really should clear out about 150 photos on my desktop so I can make room for new photos. I'm sitting on everything from Bell Smith Springs in Shawnee National Forest and then everything from another area we stopped at that was in Shawnee National Forest too. Then there's all the Burden Falls photos from Shawnee National Forest.... I was gonna dump all those in the Shawnee National Forest thread but let me know if you want em somewhere else. Then all that's left is photos from the Round Bluff Nature Preserve Trail and Big Rocky Hollow Trail... both in Ferne Clyffe State Park. If I could get those deleted before March 9 it would be great so I don't end up with a desktop that's 3 deep in photos. My desktop has been LOADED for months.... I'm not as organized as you.... everything goes on the desktop so I don't forget about it so heeeeeelp me pleeeeeeeease. Tell me what to do with em so I can start deleting what's left of our trip to Louisiana before we end up on another adventure with even more photos!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #39
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Uh oh.... did I screw something up? Did I miss a thread somewhere these were supposed to go in?
Uh huh.
You read my little subliminal pretty good there Equill

Not to worry, Name:  catrub.gif
Views: 20
Size:  5.0 KB but it's so much easier for me to add photos leapfrog style, bit by bit to keep the flow of the trip moving than to make mental notes of what you've added "in its Entirety" so I don't end up setting duplicates in.

As far as your filled desktop....Create a FOLDER, drag them in, label it, and open as needed. There............. clear desktop!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #40
Official Plant Nerd

Ok.... where's the thread and I'll get them moved so you can leapfrog but.... would you do something about threads that haven't been started for Ferne Clyffe and would you start leapfrogging over in the Shawnee thread with what ever you've got from Bell Smith, Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL because when I put my photos in folders.... the next time I open the folders they're not in the order I want to post em in anymore. Every time I put them in a folder and close the folder... they're back in numerical order again when I open the folder and that makes too much work for me sorting em out so I'm leaving em on the desktop already resized until I delete em. I know I won't take time labeling each photo.... I label the originals in my Kodak program based on the day I took the photo. Those aren't resized. No way would I go beyond typing in the date and the general area of where the photos were taken for a batch of photos all taken on the same day. I'll admit... I don't have time to type in info labels for each photo.
--
About leapfrogging.... stop disappearing for weeks on end or I'm gonna get you and your little dog Toto too!!! We got back the end of last October!!!! I've really got to clear off my desktop before spring hits or I'm like totally screwed because me and my husband are going down through Shawnee into TN late spring..... I'm sure I'll come home with hundreds of photos and then next up is the swamp tour in June.... more photos.... then where ever we'll go around the 4th of July and that'll be good for another couple hundred photos and my "filing" system may be lame but.... it sorta works for me as long as I don't get backed up.... heeeeeeeeeelp me!!!! Here's what I've got left to unload that's already resized, "I'm sitting on everything from Bell Smith Springs in Shawnee National Forest and then everything from another area we stopped at that was in Shawnee National Forest too. Then there's all the Burden Falls photos from Shawnee National Forest.... I was gonna dump all those in the Shawnee National Forest thread but let me know if you want em somewhere else. Then all that's left is photos from the Round Bluff Nature Preserve Trail and Big Rocky Hollow Trail... both in Ferne Clyffe State Park."

Tags
dixon springs, falls park, jackson falls, natchez, parkway, trace