Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Tishomingo was a very nice area....

We are now back to our original route along the Natchez trail.
Natchez Trace Parkway-p1010629-bear-creek-mound.jpg
On the fly.....
Natchez Trace Parkway-p1010630-cave-spring.jpg
Natchez Trace Parkway-p1010631.jpg
Natchez Trace Parkway-p1010633.jpg
Of course I just HAD to go into it!
It was PITCH black in there.....Flash light back in the car....I'm walking on ahead and Equill starts yelling wait, Wait, WAIT!!!!
Natchez Trace Parkway-p1010636.jpg
Good thing I stopped..... After snapping a photo with the flash what do I discover.. WATER, It was filled with WATER!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Natchez Trace Parkway-p1010638.jpg
I hightailed it back up towards daylight.
Natchez Trace Parkway-p1010642.jpg
The ferns at it entrance were stunning!
Natchez Trace Parkway-p1010650.jpg
I can't believe the quantity of cases in the caves.
Natchez Trace Parkway-p1010657-alabama-rock-spring.jpg
Next stop....Rock Spring Nature Trail (milepost 330.2) Alabama!
Natchez Trace Parkway-p1010658.jpg
A half mile jaunt along Colbert Creek.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

Back to sites directly off the Natchez Trace for me, Tishomingo State Park - Mississippi - OutdoorPlaces.Com, “The Natchez Trace itself has ancient roots starting as a Bison trail followed by nomadic hunters. By the end of the 18th century, fur traders, trappers, Native Americans, settlers, and troops were using the well-worn path to move from what is now modern Nashville to Natchez, Mississippi, 500 miles to the south. Robberies and raids were very common in the heavily forested region and prior to the Civil War the trace was called, "the devil's backbone."
--
Cave Spring was our next stop on the Natchez Parkway after we left Tishomingo. Here’s a little blurb on Cave Spring, Cave Spring - Natchez Trace | NatchezTraceTravel.com, “The description of the ground surface and the type of rock indicate that this cave was the result of a solution activity. A long room and corridor was dissolved out of the rock by the underground water. The roof of the room eventually weakened and collapsed. Indians may have used this site as a source of water and stone. The water is now unsafe to drink and the cave is dangerous.We were bad girls…. we went in the cave. It was very dark and clammy…. I figured there was water in there but couldn’t see it. I stayed toward the light just because I couldn’t see well in there and had no idea how deep the water was. Here’s a different perspective of the site…. somebody else was obviously “bad” and went inside the cave too, Cave Spring - Natchez Trace Parkway stock photo - Download alabama Royalty Free Images, Search for Free cave spring Photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1553.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1556.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1557.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1558.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1559.jpg  

Old 01-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

Next stop I think was Rock Springs. A little blurb on Rock Springs Nature Trail off the Natchez Pkwy in Alabama, Natchez Trace Parkway - Rock Springs Nature Trail | Alabama Birding TrailsAlabama Birding Trails, “Rock Spring - a nature trail offers you an opportunity to explore a small natural spring as it bubbles forth from the ground. Small fish dart about in the deep pools created as the stream wanders through the rich bottomland soil and limestone rock. Vegetation and trees change as you move through an abandoned field past the stream into a rocky hillside. After completing the 20 minute walk you may decide to pull off your shoes and dangle your feet in the swift cool water.

The trails and stepping stones in the area lead you across Colbert Creek past Rock Spring and through the woodlands. Since 1977 numerous beaver dams have been built then abandoned by the beaver or destroyed by high water. Walk the trails and enjoy a changing environment of this once free flowing spring-fed stream
Attached Thumbnails
Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1561.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1562.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1563.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1564.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1565.jpg  

Old 01-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

A green friend....
Attached Thumbnails
Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1566.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1568.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1570.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1573.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

I got the impression this particular park received a lot of visits from school children. Interpretive signs were everywhere and they were at just the right height for a little person.
Attached Thumbnails
Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1574.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1575.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1576.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1577.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #17
Official Plant Nerd

Evidence of beavers could be seen everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1578.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1579.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1580.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1581.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

More on Rock Springs for the bird lovers out there, North Alabama Birding Trail, “Description: Situated along the Natchez Trace Parkway just north of the Tennessee River, this idyllic wooded area holds a 20-minute nature trail that follows Colbert Creek to Rock Springs. The creek is intermittently dammed by Beavers, creating an impressive wetland abounding with a variety of resident and wintering birds. The edges of the wetland hold an abundance of orange jewelweed, which attracts hundreds of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds each fall. Careful inspection of the area has turned up several species that are only vagrants to Alabama including Black-chinned and Rufous hummingbirds. Check the Natchez Trace Parkway in spring and early summer for neotropical migrants including Whiteeyed, Yellow-throated, and Red-eyed Vireos as well as several breeding wood warblers such as Hooded and Kentucky warblers and Louisiana Waterthrush. These waters also support the huge, but rarely seen Hellbender – the largest species of salamander in North America. What I wouldn’t have done to be able to see a Hellbender!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1582.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1583.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1584.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1585.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1588.jpg  

Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

These last photos from this park are all of some of my favorite things. What a total surprise downloading the very last photo and opening it up and seeing something staring back at me. I felt like I was filming for "Snake Busters" or something. I did NOT see that when I was taking the photo of the hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1593.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1594.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1601.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1602.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #20
Official Plant Nerd

Some info on Fall Hollow off the Natchez Pkwy in Tennessee, Fall Hollow Waterfall - Natchez Trace | NatchezTraceTravel.com, “Fall Hollow is just off the Parkway (you can park your car and walk 10 feet and see and hear some of the action). Fall Hollow is just north of the US 412 intersection.
A path and a set of wooden bridges take you across the small creeks before they begin their tumbling descent. The easy part of the path ends at an observation deck where you can look down at the largest waterfall. Past this point the path becomes very rocky and steep. As the sign says, 'Proceed with Caution'.” Just an FYI…. the sign that said ‘Proceed with Caution’ was gone. The trail turns to difficult almost immediately after the observation deck. Of all the places we visited…. this site was the most treacherous. Hiking it was even more intense because of the leaves and recent rain. This is NOT a family trail and not a trail for even the most avid biker. If you’re not in decent shape…. aren’t wearing proper shoes…. have young kids with you or…. pets…. stay on the trail and turn back after the observation deck. Normally…. I don’t volunteer any information about a park when I’m leaving. I’m not rude… if someone asks me what I thought… I’ll answer. Exiting this park… I did something totally out of character. there was a young girl in her 20’s with what looked like her grandmother and a great aunt both in their mid to late 60’s. The older women looked in great shape but…. their clothing looked more like they were getting on a cruise ship and they were both carrying purses. Their shoes…. not much I can say other than nice heels. I shook my head at the young girl and pretty much told her that even the easy part of the trail might be too much because of all the leaves. hava jumped in and said it probably wasn’t a good idea if they went beyond what they could see from about 100’ in and we chatted for a while and they held our kittens and took off without ever going in the park.... which is a good thing. I woulda felt guilt if I hadn’t said something and read in the paper about how 3 women ended up like Humpty Dumptys at Falls Park. Other than some steep…. really rocky and…. really slippery trails where you could bust your head open…. I loved Falls Park. Both of the larger falls were running. Smaller falls along the trail were beautiful but just teasers.
Attached Thumbnails
Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1629.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1603.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1605.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1606.jpg   Natchez Trace Parkway-img_1607.jpg  

Tags
dixon springs, falls park, jackson falls, natchez, parkway, trace