Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!

1 of my favorite days was when biig’s husband took us on his mud boat and we spent the day cruising the . What a rush!!! Here’s a little blurb on the area, Atchafalaya National Heritage Area | America's Foreign Country | Louisiana, “An American-Indian word, "Atchafalaya" (Think of a sneeze: uh-CHA-fuh-lie-uh) means long river. Established in 2006, the Atchafalaya National Heritage Area stretches across 14 parishes in south-central Louisiana. It is among the most culturally rich and ecologically varied regions in the United States, home to the widely recognized Cajun culture as well as a diverse population of European, African, Caribbean and Native-American descent.

With a story around every bend in the river and music from every corner, the Atchafalaya National Heritage Area is an ever-changing landscape.
--
For what it’s worth…. I still can’t pronounce Atchafalaya!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1221.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1225.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1227.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1228.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1229.jpg  

Old 11-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

I’m pretty sure we entered the Atchafalaya Basin through the Breaux Bridge, Swamp Tours Breaux Bridge, LA - Atchafalaya Basin Landing & Marina. If you go to their main site….. there’s some really gorgeous photos and videos you can watch. We were there for hours and pretty much had the whole swamp to ourselves because we were there in the "off" season. Well.... except for 1 die hard photographer we ran across who had a lens on his camera that was attached to a tripod on his boat that was worth more than me!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1230.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1231.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1232.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1233.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1234.jpg  

Old 11-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Atchafalaya – the Biggest Swamp in the States, http://www.kuriositas.com/2010/09/at...in-states.html, “A pristine cypress and mixed wood swamp, Atchafalaya looks at times how you might imagine earth looking millions of years ago – the sight of a dinosaur would not be amiss here. Although you might not meet a stegosaurus the chances are you will see beaver, otter, mink deer and many other mammals. Alligators can also be found in the waters of the Atchafalaya… Magical is a term which is overused when describing places. However, there is no more appropriate a word than that for the Atchafalaya swamp. Whether this, one of the last truly great places of wilderness in the United States will still be able to transfix and fascinate future generations by its dual nature - serenity and strength - is yet to be seen.“ More spectacular photos at that site!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1235.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1236.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1239.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1241.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1242.jpg  

Old 11-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Visiting reinforced my decision to NEVER by cypress mulch, ‘Save Our Cypress Forest Campaign’, Atchafalaya Basinkeeper Cypress Campaign, “Cypress wetland forests are among the most productive wetland ecosystems in the world. Bald cypress trees are deciduous conifers and are very closely related to the redwoods and sequoias in the western United States. Because cypress wetlands have trees, they are much more diverse than open marshland. Baldcypress grows to be thousands of years old and produces a big mass of cypress balls and leaves that many animals can eat. Baldcypress sheds its bark and many insects live under the loose bark making Bald cypress the most important trees for all species of woodpeckers. Perhaps the biggest contribution of Baldcypress to the habitat comes in the form of the many cavities that older trees develop and that provide nesting places for otters, minks, raccoons, black bears, beavers, wood ducks, owls and many species of birds and bats. The branches of Bald cypress come out perpendicular to the trunk, making them the chosen trees for most nesting waders like herons, egrets, and ibises.
--
There’s little more humbling than being on a boat looking at Atchafalaya from the inside.
--
The last photo is hava’s hand and her “catch” for the day. She’d been trying to grab 1 of those for a long time and finally succeeded!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1261.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1262.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1263.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1265.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1281.jpg  

Old 11-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Who wants to take a guess what critter made the tracks in the 4th photo>>>? biig can’t guess!!! I know she knows!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1283.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1286.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1315.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1317.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1321.jpg  

Old 11-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

A mishmash of photos.
--
Something to think about, ‘Louisiana’s Cypress Swamp: An Endangered Beauty', http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/unit...uty-63725.html, "Robert LaGasse, executive director of Mulch and Soil Council, said the mulch harvesting is being carried out in accordance with the sustainable regeneration of the forest.

“We encourage the best management practices. … Most harvesting is now done by sustainably certified loggers,” said LaGasse, adding that there a few companies that aren’t certified” as opposed to this from the same article, “The cypress in the Atchafalaya Basin has failed to regenerate from logging as far back as the 1900s. Many of the remaining cypress trees are dying and not suitable for logging.

The Science Working Group conducted a study that concluded, “80 percent of the areas being logged will be unable to regenerate” due to elevation of water flow, many cypress tree forests are “permanently flooded.”

“In absence of logging cypress is still in grave danger … due to persistent inundation that precludes natural regeneration,” said John Ettinger, an Environmental Protection Agency official based in New Orleans.”
--
It’s articles like this that make me question why so many folk are so accepting of the word “sustainable” as now defined by those who profit from so-called “sustainable” practices and why oh why do we accept their profit driven “best management practices” when they’re most certainly not in the best interests of public health>>>
Attached Thumbnails
Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1342.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1343.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1345.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1347.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1349.jpg  

Old 11-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Atchafalaya National Wildlife Refuge, Atchafalaya National Wildlife Refuge, “Atchafalaya National Wildlife Refuge was established in 1984. Its 15,000 acres are part of the largest bottomland hardwood swamp in the country. This beautiful swampland offers a multitude of recreational options. Hunting, fishing, hiking and some of the best wildlife viewing opportunities in the country exist in the Atchafalaya Basin. The refuge is managed cooperatively with the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Sherburne Wildlife Management Area and the Corps of Engineers Atchafalaya Spillway Water Diversion Project.”
Attached Thumbnails
Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1351.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1356.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1357.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1360.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1361.jpg  

Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

The 1st 2 photos are my favorites…. yaaa…. I know they suck but…. I knew I saw a “reddish” dragonfly flying around that I’d never seen before and I saw it coming back to rest in 1 spot and this is PROOF. Too bad I didn’t have about a half hour to get in close and personal…. I might have gotten a better photo but we were all getting hungry and looking forward to gorging at McGee’s, Welcome To McGees Landing!!! BTW….. if anyone knows that this beauty is from those ickie photos…. I’d love to know!!!
--
The 4th photo is the last photo I took of Atchafalaya. It was really special…. it’s a rainbow from the boat’s spray!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1363.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1371.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1373.jpg   Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-img_1374.jpg  
Old 01-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-dscf7328.jpg
Did you notice how many trucks we passed on the way there?
Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-dscf7372.jpg
I believe they were out gathering what was it? sugar cane?
Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-p1010261.jpg
I spied him just before we came up to the boat landing.

I'd like to share a few things "other" than the fine examples of the swamp Equill's displayed during our outing.
Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-p1010266.jpg
Just as our guide (Biigs hubby) sped the boat around the first bend.
Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-dscf7356.jpg
It's amazing how many florals grow in the swamp.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-p1010270.jpg
There were a couple of towers-gaging stations for measuring the water level along the channel we followed in.
Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-dscf7332.jpg
Mater of fact here's another that had a measuring stick upon it. Just look at the shape of those "trees" and the piece of driftwood!
I wanted that real bad but they weren't game at tossing it into the truck-bed for me.
Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-p1010331.jpg
Notice the bucket lid way up in the tree. When the area floods ...Everything looks the same...There is no longer a channel to follow.
These are what you follow to find your way in and out. That is actually how high the water can be!
Atchafalaya National Heritage Area… private day long tour!!!-p1010279.jpg
I now understand why there's so many roots visible at this time of the year.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
area…, area…, atchafalaya, day, heritage, long, national, private, tour