Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana

We parked and entered through their Nature Center, Nature Center Tickfaw State Park in Springfield, La. Nice structure…. nice exhibits… nice folk working there. I dunno what hava thought but… I wasn’t overly impressed with the interpretive boardwalk behind it. It wasn’t loaded with invasives or anything unless you count exotic lizards but…. it was kinda dirty. The vegetation was covered in a light layer of what looked like plaster dust and the water was murky and coated with what looked like oil. Their facilities were maintained well though.
Attached Thumbnails
Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1029.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1030.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1031.jpg  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

These shrooms caught my attention. I played a little since the light was low and took 2 photos…. 1 in natural light and 1 with flash.
Attached Thumbnails
Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1033.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1032.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1034.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1035.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1037.jpg  

Old 11-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana
A little blurb on Tickfaw, Tickfaw State Park - Louisiana Office of State Parks, “Strolling through four ecosystems on over a mile of boardwalks through Tickfaw State Park, visitors can experience the sights and sounds of a cypress/tupelo swamp, a bottomland hardwood forest, a mixed pine/hardwood forest and the Tickfaw River.

Periodically the park site serves the region by detaining floodwaters when winter and spring rains overflow the steep banks of the Tickfaw River. These periods of occasional flooding offer a unique opportunity to educate visitors on the importance of periodic flooding in the cycle of life that makes wetlands an invaluable habitat and breeding ground for wildlife and fisheries.

Check posted program schedules for guided hikes on the boardwalks, or you may prefer the more relaxed approach offered during a nature program presentation at one of the three education pavilions and an outdoor amphitheater at the nature center. You can also join a nighttime program, go night hiking or listen to the swamp nightlife from the porch of your vacation cabin.”
Attached Thumbnails
Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1038.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1040.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1041.jpg  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Tickfaw has quite a few trails. Not all looked like the trail behind the Nature Center. Their Gum Cypress Swamp Trail was actually really nice and…. it woulda probably been a lot nicer if we had been able to visit during peak migration. Here’s a little blurb on the trails at Tickfaw, Trails in the Tickfaw State Park, Louisiana.
Here’s some better photos than what I took, Photo 545-05: Tickfaw State Park, swamp boardwalk of Gum...Trail at rain. Springfield, Louisiana
Attached Thumbnails
Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1044.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1045.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1046.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1047.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1050.jpg  

Old 11-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

I don’t recall seeing pink lichen anytime I’ve been down south before. It sorta surprised me in a nice way.
Attached Thumbnails
Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1052.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1051.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1054.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1055.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1057.jpg  

Old 11-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

The scat was fun “stumbling” on. Not exactly the average person’s Kodak moment but… I always get a kick out of trying to figure out what left what!!! The hole didn’t have anything in it…. I looked…. I can’t resist holes!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1060.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1063.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1059.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1073.jpg  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Now these cypress stumps were interesting. I remember standing there with a smirk on my face thinking, “Feed me Seymour”. The 2nd photo I looked at like I look at clouds. The tree knees on the left made me think of a man with plumber’s butt leaning over in water cooling off by dunking his whole face and the tree knees on the right reminded me of a woman floating on her back with her left leg extended. Tree knees are fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1061.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1062.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1064.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1067.jpg  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Toward the end of that trail there was a pavilion. Slightly beyond the pavilion they had an open air education center. I took photos of what interested me…. the “soggy” parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1068.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1070.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1072.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1071.jpg   Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-img_1074.jpg  

Old 11-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

After parking in the shade (with a new parakeet now added to the menagerie in tow), we entered.
Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-p1000895.jpg
An aquarium held a few of its locals.
Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-p1000897.jpg
A very nice interactive display.
Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-p1000901.jpg
Small gator mount
Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-p1000903.jpg
Owl mount.
Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-p1000911.jpg
One of the live exotics. Notice the darker regenerated tail.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
I dunno what hava thought but… I wasn’t overly impressed with the interpretive boardwalk behind it. It wasn’t loaded with invasives or anything unless you count exotic lizards but…. it was kinda dirty. The vegetation was covered in a light layer of what looked like plaster dust and the water was murky and coated with what looked like oil. Their facilities were maintained well though.
That's exactly what I thought of it..
Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-p1000916.jpgTickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-p1000919.jpg
Reason why I was taking more photos of what was overhead
Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-p1000918.jpg
alongside
Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-p1000934.jpg
and beneath me rather than the
Tickfaw State Park, Springfield, Louisiana-p1000927.jpg
yucky dusty oily stagnant slick.

My rating....Thumbs down.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
louisiana, park, springfield, state, tickfaw