Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Laurel Hill State Park, Pennsylvania

A little blurb on Laurel Hill, PADCNR-Laurel Hill State Park, “Laurel Hill State Park consists of 4,072 acres of mountainous terrain in Somerset County. The 63-acre Laurel Hill Lake is a focal point of the park. Laurel Hill is surrounded by thousands of acres of pristine state park and state forest lands. A trail system invites visitors to hike and explore the park and observe the diversity of plants and wildlife. Hemlock Trail passes through a beautiful stand of old growth hemlocks.”
--
They have quite a few trails ranging from easy… the Pumphouse Trail…. To difficult…. the Bobcat trail. These photos are from the Pumphouse and Waterline trails taken the end of September. They said the Waterline trail was moderate. I found it to be easy so I’m thinking the trails marked as difficult might not be all that difficult. I was limited to where I could walk and how many photos I could take because I stopped in by myself on the way to Pope’s house and was tagging along behind a park employee who was preparing for Earth Day I think he said. If he hadn’t been out and about on the grounds…. the only trail I woulda felt comfortable walking was the Pumphouse Trail because there were a few families with little kids in front of me. The Pumphouse Trail must be the most popular. There were quite a few folk taking it…. not so for the Waterline Trail. The only person I saw on that loop was the forester.
Attached Thumbnails
Laurel Hill State Park, Pennsylvania-img_0371.jpg   Laurel Hill State Park, Pennsylvania-img_0372.jpg   Laurel Hill State Park, Pennsylvania-img_0375.jpg   Laurel Hill State Park, Pennsylvania-img_0378.jpg  
Old 11-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Look at this log!!! Isn't it gorgeous with the decompostion crew having a go at it!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Laurel Hill State Park, Pennsylvania-img_0379.jpg   Laurel Hill State Park, Pennsylvania-img_0380.jpg   Laurel Hill State Park, Pennsylvania-img_0382.jpg  
Old 11-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

There's the caterpillar suunto identified for me!!! There were magnolias everywhere hiding in the tree lines…. they probably put on a real good show in spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Laurel Hill State Park, Pennsylvania-img_0385.jpg   Laurel Hill State Park, Pennsylvania-img_0388.jpg   Laurel Hill State Park, Pennsylvania-img_0393.jpg   Laurel Hill State Park, Pennsylvania-img_0390.jpg  
Old 11-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

This is Jones Mill Run Dam on the Pumphouse Trail. I was surprised it was running because PA was a little droughty this year like the rest of us.
--
Laurel Hill is a park that’s well maintained. You can tell they’re really working hard at controlling the invasives throughout the entire park. I’d really like to go back to it someday… not by myself…. so I could take some of the other trails.
--
Pennsylvania is a GORGEOUS state!!! I can't wait to drive through it getting to Dappy's house next year!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Laurel Hill State Park, Pennsylvania-img_0392.jpg   Laurel Hill State Park, Pennsylvania-img_0395.jpg  
Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Nice place.
If you're not comfortable walking by yourself carry a can of pepper spray with you. It's a great confidence builder.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

I carry that yellow crow bar under my jacket or the little baseball bat I kept between us when I was driving. I'm too afraid of nailing myself with pepper spray instead of someone trying to mug me for the coupla $$$ I carry on my person.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #7

Taking photos would be so much easier not worrying if a crowbar's going to drop out in the take.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Beautiful photos! Love the mushrooms and the black cat! Strange photo equipment though...crow bars, baseball bats...
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #9

Crows and bats......... Oh my

Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Laurel Hill is a park that’s well maintained.

Pennsylvania is a GORGEOUS state!!! I can't wait to drive through it getting to Dappy's house next year!!!
That is not the park I thought it was...I don't think I've been there...would be nice to visit I the spring.

...What a wonderful thing to say! PA really is beautiful...it is pretty much all I know...and that is why it would be hard for me to move anywhere that was drastically different in the trees, wildflowers, and communities I'm used to. So, I guess I'm stuck with the winters.

...it is also nice to hear that you are looking forward to driving through again to come here. I really hope that I can get motivated and make some more improvements--I'd love for it to look its best.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hill, laurel, park, pennsylvania, state