Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

There's some states I just gotta "thang" for.... PA is 1 of em. I have to tell you I like NM and TN too though and for sure WV and the UP!!!! LA and AL and AR and WY are close contenders to those states though and my bet is AK would top my personal list but.... that's a state I've never been to.
--
Ya.... I am looking forward to the drive. I think hava would like stopiing at Shipshawanee or Napanee on the way through IN getting to your place and then we'd probably drive straight through OH and get into central PA where she'll be like ohhhhhing and ahhhhing when we start stopping at parks.
--
When I was a kid in HS.... me and a few girlfriends used to drive through PA getting to NYC. We did it in our Jr and Sr years because we were getting paid and that was when I got my 1st exposure to PA. A few times we drove up into VT and then a few other times we drove over into MA and NH when we were done working. Those states are at their prime in the fall. Anywhooo.... lemme know what kinda chicks you want me to bring you and J>>>>> Or a kitten.... I seem to have a bumper crop of those these days and I'm sure there's more where those came from to go along with your NEW chickens.... hava won't mind at all if I load the car with speshul "goodies" for you!!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
...my bet is AK would top my personal list but....
--
Ya.... I am looking forward to the drive. I think hava would like stopiing at Shipshawanee or Napanee on the way through IN getting to your place and then we'd probably drive straight through OH and get into central PA where she'll be like ohhhhhing and ahhhhing when we start stopping at parks.
--
...lemme know what kinda chicks you want me to bring you and J>>>>> Or a kitten.... I seem to have a bumper crop of those these days and I'm sure there's more where those came from to go along with your NEW chickens.... hava won't mind at all if I load the car with speshul "goodies" for you!!!!
Jeff's uncle went up to Alaska years ago...his father went to visit, fell in love with the area and moved up there. I'd love to see it, but I have no intention of dropping everything and relocating there! Even so, I'm just a little wary of visiting the state.

--
Perhaps we could have a WG meet-up in one of those parks you and hava want to visit on the way up...at the same time, maybe it is easier to stay put and have you all come to me. I've a feeling I'd have tons to do to prepare, so driving out and back might not make much sense for us.

--
Hmm...I know you'd bring me chicks in a heartbeat, and it *almost* makes me wanna psyche myself up to really raise chickens...but I think it is just a pipe dream....I wouldn't enjoy the chores that came with it. So, since I know you are also just pulling my chain, i know I'll have no unexpected critters if I don't give you the go 'head.

As for a kitten, I saw the pics of the cuties you got. Tempting. However, I know our two cats would feel displaced--and I think two is enough. Now Jeff is another story--he'd probably jump at the thought of adopting another kitten...so . Shhhhhsh!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~

Last edited by dapjwy; 11-09-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Adding missing words
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

dap, you and roger vote no to more kitties, Jeff I and would easily become those "cat" people!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
dap, you and roger vote no to more kitties, Jeff I and would easily become those "cat" people!
LOL! Smile. I'm now picturing you devolving into the crazy cat lady from The Simpsons. . Image Detail for - ... elaine ho at 9 07 pm labels crazy cat lady raf simons boots simpsons

I *think* Jeff would stop at three...but, I guess I wouldn't swear to it.

At one point while growing up we had five cats...but for most of the time four (on for each kid) or less. Looking back, I'm surprised my mother gave in to adopting one more stray.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto

Last edited by dapjwy; 11-09-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Correcting typo and formatting
Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #15

Homemade Crazy Cat Lady Costume (...a great Halloween costume...too bad you have so long to wait to try it...unless Lib wants to drive into work that way so she can show the new security guard all her IDs again.)
Old 11-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

I really should stop joking around!!! I don't have any chickens I can part with right now.... not even for a gift. Even if you gave me the go ahead.... there's no spares here that would be your speed since the hawk pegged Herschel. It's the ameraucanas or the orpingtons you'd want and I don't have roos for those.... only 1 roo that's a dorking and those are meat birds and they're not a good breed to get for 1st time chicken owners.... that's for sure. We're down to our own pets now and next year I'm going for 'Freedom Ranger' broilers and all those will go to freezer camp if... the mink don't get em because I won't mix those with our "goils". I do plan on getting another Ameraucana rooster but.... it's got to be the "right" rooster temperament wise.... same thing with an Orpington rooster. It's got to have the right temperament or I don't want it. I do have 8 little orpingtons here but.... I need all females from the hatch for myself and any males will fly out the door since these were imported from England. I have an order of Ameraucana chicks in for next spring and I'm crossing my fingers there's a roo in there I'll want to keep but... I only ordered 12 chicks. I could end up with half pullets and half cockerels but... it's the luck of the draw with day olds and I could end up with all pullets and no roos... it's happened to people before. We'll see. A friend told me he's giving me a "present" and his wife told me on the sly the "present" was a 4 mos old black American Orpington cockerel because he ended up with 2 but.... if the bird is even the least bit hokey.... it's outa here. I will have more babies to share with people soon as I get some roos but... it's probably not gonna be until next fall for orpingtons and the year after on ameraucanas. Dorking chicks I could "hatch" out next spring now that I've got a roo that's not related to my females.
--
Of the kittens I took home.... 1 went to my girlfriend and the other went to my neighbor in a Longerburger (sp?) something or other fancy basket that 1 of my SILs gave me as a gift that I really have no use for that she wanted. I couldn't give the kittens to them right away because they needed some blood work. The blood work came back and the kittens didn't have FeLuke, FIP.... or Feline Aids so out the door they went. I don't even like kittens.... I can't stand them. They're into everything and they're destructive but they're so darn cute and the things they do make us laugh out loud so.... we woulda kept both of the males if my neighbor didn't want the other 1 but as it turns out.... she wanted it really bad so it's hers now. 2 of our cats are pushing 20 years of age and they're not happy about the kitten but.... they're tolerating it and they're even letting it sleep close to them. Our other cat is young and he's a dick so he's definitely not happy with the kitten but that cat doesn't like anything so we've been putting him away so he doesn't sink his teeth into Logan. We won't have to put POS away once the kitten hits about 6 or 7 lbs but right now.... POS would kill the kitten if he could get to it. Other than that.....our kitten is doing great.... it's zinging all over the place and we're attached to it so YOU can't have it!!! The only problem we've got with the kitten is that we had to put away all the mouse traps we'd set up to keep Zoe out of our plants and such. The kitten is too darn small and we were afraid if it got into 1 of the traps by accident... it'd end up with a broken paw. Needless to say.... Zoe is having a field day here gnawing on the kitten's head and chewing up plants and helping herself to everything on the kitchen counters BECAUSE the dog is smart and knows there's no mouse traps out to snap at her anymore.
--
Sage> me and my husband could easily be old cat ladies.... we're both cat people not dog people. We're accidental dog owners!!! When we 1st lived in sin... I had 6 cats and he had 5 and within 1 month.... he brought in #12 that he found dumped on a job site. We're told cats are cheaper by the dozen!!! 11 more Cookiecats and you'll be at a dozen!!!
Old 11-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #17
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Zoe is having a field day here gnawing on the kitten's head and chewing up plants and helping herself to everything on the kitchen counters BECAUSE the dog is smart and knows there's no mouse traps out to snap at her anymore.
--
Put the set traps under a piece of newspaper. It will scare Zoey but not spring upon the kittens paws. Worked for us!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer

Last edited by havalotta; 11-10-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Removed a line off topic.
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Yikes! I wouldn't trust newspaper! Kitties are smart and curious and I could see them getting under the paper in a heartbeat! And the paper could blow away.

Dap, I've never had a place that wasn't "a work in progress"! If roger and I can come, we'll be staying in a motel with our furbal.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #19
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Once a cat's puddy paws sets one off they'll never trod there again.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Dapjwy I understand you'd like things to be looking their best before the gang arrives but don't be fretting and worrying about getting everything done and in its place so.
There's never a point where things are really like that. If you could see the condition of our - Or at least what my home-yard looks like when I'm in mid fling doing everything I can in the yarden and only what's really needed to be done inside the home.
Thanks, havalotta...Not only for telling me not to worry about it, but also understanding my desire to have it looking its best. I know you understand because you shared with all of us just how much you tried to get your gardens just right for your garden tour. I know I won't be able to match your manic drive to get things the way I want them...but I also feel getting things right for strangers is different than having friends over in a more casual setting. I feel sure you all will understand where I am at this stage. I just *really* wish I could eliminate my worst invasives (currently mugwort and crownvetch, but I also have English ivy, Vinca minor, Ajuga, etc. to remove...not to mention my small patch of Japanese knotweed that I'm slowly subduing. Sigh...garlic mustard is another one.)...and establish more sections of native habitats.

I'm sure some of the first bare root seedlings that I put in our first spring will shoot up a bit taller by the time you all make it out here. Also, hopefully, knowing you all are coming will light a fire under me to get phase one of the pond landscaped and do some more landscaping around the house. Even if I could plant a meadow (not sure it is feasible next year) it won't look like much until the second or hird year anyway.

Just remember, if I *do* get a lot done it will be for me and the wildlife to enjoy for years to come...and hopefully it will be enough to win Jeff over even more. So reign me in if I really go bonkers, but let me go wild as much as I can so everyone benefits.

Tags
hill, laurel, park, pennsylvania, state