Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Speaking of setting foot....
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000553.jpg
The path itself had some pretty interesting footing...
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000557.jpg
Isn't it odd..........How the leaves rest just upon the higher nodules!
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000559.jpg
That about wraps it up for the Observation trail.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #12

Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000565-garden-gods-indian-point-trail.jpg
Indian point trail......
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000571.jpgShawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000583.jpg
Things are beginning to get hairy!
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000586.jpgShawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000585.jpg
Vine.......and Grape webs...... surround us everywhere.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #13

Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000595.jpg
One must place their steps wisely.
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000596.jpg
What form! What color!
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000614.jpg
Takes balls to look up when you are on such unsteady ground....
Tis where I found an Eagle feather, chanted and danced the dance of our father.
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-p1000616-30-40-foot-shelter-cave.jpg
Not far from a 40 foot shelter cave once used long long ago.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

Ah ha!!!! The Indian Point Trail within Garden of the Gods!!! Loved it!!! I think I liked it better than Observation Trail. The 5th photo I took when we walked through the pine forest. It reminded me of Christmas in October because some of the pine needles fell from above and hung on the Pawpaw like little ornaments. It was windy. I took about 20 photos of the little "decorated" pawpaw tree to get 1 that showed nature's handiwork.
--
hava> You see things so differently than me... it's really cool "looking" at where we went from your eyes!!! Of all the photos you added... my favorites are the 1st photo in post #9 and the last photo in post #13.
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0777.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0778.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0784.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0782.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0790.jpg  

Old 11-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

Talk about a landscape being ablaze!!! It's something I really miss around me so it was a real treat getting bombarded with the color!!!
--
I bet benj knows what the plant in the 3rd photo is!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0794-b.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0795.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0799.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0803.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0806.jpg  

Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

Guess who the "pumpkin head" is in the 2nd photo!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0811.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0815.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0820.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0822.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0833.jpg  

Old 11-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #17
Official Plant Nerd

The 2nd photo shows how some of the rock formations were "dripping" with life. The 4th photo shows 1 of my favorite places along this trail. I hung out there for at least a half hour taking photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0834.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0836.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0839.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0843.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0855.jpg  

Old 11-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

Shrooms.... glorious shrooms!!! The 4th photo was a lucky shot. It was so bright and the hawk circling above was so far away that I couldn't see it on the screen so I just started holding the camera up and clicking. It shocked the heck out of me when I got a photo of the hawk. He's a little dot in the photo but... he's in the photo!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0860.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0862.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0863.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0864.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0866.jpg  

Old 11-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

I didn't know it when I took the 1st photo but... I got a twofer!!! A lot of the trails we took looked like the 3rd photo. Made for rough going when the leaves buried our "route" since IL doesn't mark their trails well or when they do.... the trail markers are far and few between. I can totally understand why so many folk get lost at this time of year. It's really hard figuring out where the actual trail is. The last photo reminded me of a pilllow for some reason. I touched it and it was "Charmin" soft.
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0868.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0873.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0876.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0877.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0881-b.jpg  

Old 11-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #20
Official Plant Nerd

A bouncing baby buzzard. This juvenile was as curious about me as I was about him. He wasn't afraid at all. I thought he was gonna fly off on me a few times but... he didn't. He was a good "subject". I probably took about 30 photos sum total of the Black Vulture until I get a handful that I liked. The last photo is of a dogwood in the parking lot to the trail head.... what a welcome, eh?
--
I sure hope anyone who's planning a vacation takes a long hard look at Shawnee. It's really a jewel rivaling anywhere in the world at this time of year and... no admission fees and... hotels in the area are dirt CHEAP at this time of year!!!
--
I'll start a new thread for Rim Rock when I get a chance!!
Attached Thumbnails
Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0901-b.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0917.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0920.jpg   Shawnee National Forest in Southern IL-img_0928.jpg  

Tags
forest, national, shawnee, southern