Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio

This was a beauty too. We're talking a pristine black swamp forest, GOLL WOODS, "Goll Woods is the least disturbed woodland known to remain in extreme northwestern Ohio. This preserve features some of the largest trees remaining in the state.
Goll Woods exemplifies the "Black Swamp" forest which once covered a vast area of the flat post-glacial lake plains southwest of Lake Erie. An outstanding feature of this woods is the abundance of giant bur oaks and exceptionally large white oaks, chinquapin oaks and cottonwoods. Many of these magnificent trees are 200-400 years old and measure 4 feet in diameter. A rich variety of native shrubs and wildflowers occur in the woods including spotted coral-root and three-birds-orchid. The preserve is best visited in the spring before mosquitoes emerge."
--
A little history along with some nice photos, Goll Woods State Nature Preserve
--
I've attached the pdf of the text that the DNR made available to visitors.
Attached Thumbnails
Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0596.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0593.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GollWoodsBrochure[1].pdf (58.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

I parked my car under the beauty in the 1st photo and if anyone's from Ohio or northeastern IN and interested... I picked up a few of the seeds. The tree was really magnificent in all its fall glory. Much more beautiful than its introduced cousin. The 2nd photo was taken of the area across the street from the entrance. Spectacular, eh? The 3rd photo is of a kid's oak identification leaf project. Who ever created that... did a nice job!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0595.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0590.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0594.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

No trip would be complete without shrooms!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0597.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0604.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0608.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0621.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

And even more shrooms!!! What's really nice about rain and bright light is it can make even a so-so photo look great!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0614.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0615.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0616.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0625.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

A few herbaceous perennials along the path. The 1st is 1 of my all time woodland favorites.
Attached Thumbnails
Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0599.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0628.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0602.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0635.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0636.jpg  

Old 10-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

A more common grass but... always a pleasure to see growing in a natural setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0629.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0607.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

There's just something about stumps that tickles my fancy....
Attached Thumbnails
Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0606.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0619.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0623.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0624.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

A few snags.... not the greatest photos.... the bark "spoke" to me. I stuck my fingers in it... I couldn't resist.
Attached Thumbnails
Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0603.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0605.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

The juvenile pawpaws were down the Bur Oak Trail. The squirrels had eaten all the fruits!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0598.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0600.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

A pleasant surprise!!
Attached Thumbnails
Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0613.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0609.jpg  

Tags
forest, goll, goll woods, native plants, nature, nature preserve, ohio, preserve, shrubs, state, state nature preserve, trees, woods