Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #21
Offical Silphium Abuser

That's only about an hour from here. I see a road trip in our future. Thanks for the tip on what looks like a great place to visit.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #22
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

That's pretty booboo
It reminds me of a fairy opening.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #23
Official Plant Nerd

Hey Rebek!!! Do it!!! You WON'T be disappointed. There's a pretty decent hotel close by that has a fake oak tree by the swimming pool. I took 1 photo with flash and 1 without. That fake oak really makes for an unusual focal point. It's Sauder Heritage Inn, Historic Sauder Village. They've got wood craft throughtout the whole hotel. I really liked the bowl. I took a photo of.
--
Sauder Village is close by too. It's closed for the season now but.... it was open when I was there. I decided against going because it started raining by the time I was done with Goll and I figured a Living History area wouldn't be the greatest in the rain. Here's a blurb on Historic Sauder Village, Historic Sauder Village, "Think history is dull? Then you haven't experienced history at Sauder Village. Visit with costumed guides about how families lived over 100 years ago. Marvel at craftsmen blending skill and creativity in glass, metals, fabric, wood and clay. Enjoy scrumptious homemade goodies and the warmth of genuine, old-fashioned hospitality. In a word, experiencing the past at Sauder Village is just plain fun for every member of the family!"
Attached Thumbnails
Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0588.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0589.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0586.jpg  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #24

When will you be arriving with my new oak tree? I so do not want to miss its delivery.
It was sure nice of you to pick me up a little trinket like that knowing I LOVE oaks!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #25
Official Plant Nerd

Ha ha ha.... if you want me to grow out some oaks for you... I will. Just collect what you want and I'll do it for you.
--
FYI> I found my teapot AND the peanut butter sized containers of crab boil.... I'd set them all on top of the rabbit hutch and I forgot them. Pillsbury saw the "goodies" out there and brought them in the garage so the raccoons wouldn't have at them. You had me looking for a gallon sized jug!!! Now all we're missing in the honey... I can't find that!!!
--
I'll start a new box for you. I've got some AWESOME feathers for you and a 'Fontenac' grape vine for you. That'll be sure to survive where you garden so you better start "thinking" of a place to plant it.... they get big. That's the same vine 4B had that crawled up her chain link fence and spread out 15' in 2 directions!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #26

YEYYYYYYYY I'm so happy we didnt loose the teapot or forget it under the bed.
I was trying to tell you the crabboil spices were in jars like the size of the pop jugs you drink only with out the tapering top. Not gallons! Even at that it will last a life time.Thanks Biig!!! You should also be noticing you have ALL of the honey...!

WHAT? You lost it? Me thinks you lost it a loooong time ago honey.
It might be sitting on top of something in the breezeway at her parents house yet if it didn't get into the car previous to catching the kittens and crating them up. Too bad, that stuff is soooo tasty! I really enjoyed watching him collect and prep it for us. He looked so content doing it.

You don't need to be saving me any feathers. I was just teasing you in wanting to bring the Eagle feather I had found home knowing it's a federal violation and all. It's in the woods where it belongs. It was pretty cool actually finding one though!

Old 11-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #27

Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-p1010184.jpg
I don't have it. It's just a photo of it freshly poured into its jar.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #28
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Lib, your photos are phantastic and I do love that turned wood bowl! Gorgeous!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #29
Official Plant Nerd

hava> the crab boil was in shorter jars about the size of peanut butter jars. I kept asking my husband if he'd seen anything about the size of a milk jug and he kept saying no. I was really happy when he got so frustrated with me that he went out in the garage and brought em back in and said, "Are these what you've been looking for?" I'm like ya.... I was looking for those. They are about the same diameter as a 2 liter pop bottle but they're a lot shorter. They're heavy though.... they weigh almost 4 lbs each!!! I knew when he went back out and brought in the little white box that we hadn't lost my tea pot.... good thing because I've been drying out some persimmon leaves that I'd like to try in it. I did ask him if he'd seen a honey jar anywhere. He said no. I have no clue what happened to a quart of honey and was sorta hoping you'd grabbed it by accident. I did find the little piece of honey comb I'd put in that little take home container so all isn't lost.
--
I am so relieved you didn't want to keep that eagle feather.... I was sorta sweating it out there for a while until you pitched it to the wind. I really do have some awesome feathers for you.... you will want them when you see em so I'm putting em in your box along with the crab boil and those fake plants I didn't have space for in my terrarium thingie.
--
sage> Ha ha ha... if you take as many photos as me.... you're bound to get a bunch of decent 1s!!! Trust me.... there's nothing special about the way I point and click but I do crop well!!!
--
That bowl was beautiful. They had some beeswax candles in the lobby too that smelled heavenly and they had local honey out for breakfast!!! I coulda walked around that hotel forever looking in all the nooks and crannies but I was just too tired to do anything but go to sleep and then the next morning I was up and out at the crack of dawn. I LOVE living history. I haven't been to Sauder Village but I've been to others and I just get the biggest bang out of watching people work metal or glass or wood. The whole area is really nice so maybe you could put visiting there on your bucket list. Shipshawanee is only about an hour away and I do like shopping there. They've got home made soaps and cheeses and fresh veggies and quilts and all the "good stuff" you can't find in malls. I've still got a quilt I bought in Napanee 30 years ago and I can't count how many times it's been through the wash and it's holding up!!! You can't beat the quality of anything that's American made.... you just can't.

Tags
forest, goll, goll woods, native plants, nature, nature preserve, ohio, preserve, shrubs, state, state nature preserve, trees, woods