Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

This fallen tree has created a perfect area for herps to breed next spring. I don't have the depth in this photo I'd like to have had so you can't see that the depression is at least 18" deep. All of my funnel spiders are toast after the hard frosts so it was nice seeing evidence they're still out there in other parts of the country!!
Attached Thumbnails
Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0617.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0622.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

The water is murky because it had been raining pretty hard. You can still get a "feel" for the beauty of this area though even though the water isn't as clear as I'd have liked it for taking photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0630.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0631.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0634.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

Nice seasonal colors in these 2 photos. The contrast of the leaves and the berries on the viburnum was really something.
Attached Thumbnails
Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0632.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0638.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

The family members who donated the land to make this park possible are buried in a serene setting on the property. As far as graveyards go.... this 1 was actually more beautiful than most.
Attached Thumbnails
Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0640.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

These photos illustrate why Goll Woods is called a black swamp. The understory floor is even blacker when there aren't fresh fallen leaves blanketing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0627.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0618.jpg   Goll Woods State Nature Preserve, Ohio-img_0620.jpg  
Old 10-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
Heron

Wonderful photos! Looks like a really interesting area to explore. In this dry year, it's nice to see some wet woods too.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #17
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
A few snags.... not the greatest photos.... the bark "spoke" to me. I stuck my fingers in it... I couldn't resist.
What great ruggedness!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
A pleasant surprise!!
What might those be???
First one in # 12 just became my new desktop. THANKS Equill!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #18
Pope

Excellent photos, Lib!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

"What might those be???" I'd tell but I want somebody to try figuring it out on their own. The Pope knows for sure.... she's got 1 planted by her front porch and was doing a happy dance when she realized the deer left 1 seed capsule on the plant!!!
--
H> I was very very very pleased I found my way to that place!!! I really think you'll be doing a jig at all the different species of oaks you'll see if you ever get a chance to stop in there. There's a decent hotel nearby you can stay at called the Sauder Heritage Inn or something like that. They've got a huge fake oak tree in the rest area next to the pool.... I got there late and had to do a double take there for a minute because I thought I was over tired and my brain was telling me it might be real. They've got really neat wood crafts and art throughout the whole hotel in their halls and lobbies.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #20
WG Operations, Facilitator

Beautiful place and nice photos Equilibrium!

My favorite: Enchanted Forest

Tags
forest, goll, goll woods, native plants, nature, nature preserve, ohio, preserve, shrubs, state, state nature preserve, trees, woods