Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio

I'll add a few more photos later.... just wanted to let everyone know that this fen was SPECTACULAR and well maintained. It really was a treat finding this site and I hope anyone who is traveling through stops in.... there's no charge and they've got a boardwalk so I didn't even need my boots.
--
Here's the DNR's website, Jackson Bog, "The "uniqueness" of Jackson Bog is a result of natural events that occurred thousands of years ago. Beginning more than a million years ago, at least four major continental ice sheets advanced into Ohio. The most recent glacier, the Wisconsinian, bulldozed its way south from eastern Canada and lumbered across much of North America about 25,000 years ago.
Jackson Bog, which is actually a fen, or alkaline bog, lies at the foot of a dry, sandy kame (a glacially deposited hill or ridge). The belts of kames in this area of Stark County provide an extensive aquifer. These highly permeable gravel deposits readily absorb surface water and then hold it in staggering quantities as groundwater.
Whenever this groundwater reaches the surface, as it does here in Jackson Bog, artesian springs and seeps result. Springs emerge from beneath the elongated kame that borders the northern edge of the preserve. It is these gravel deposits with their corresponding springs that hold the key to the very existence of Jackson Bog."
--
My photos are of the fen in fall but here's more I found throughout the seasons, Jackson Bog Ohio - Bing Images
--
If you are anywhere near this fen.... you really should stop in. It's a veritable oasis.... I coulda hung out there for hours if it wasn't getting dark and drizzling.... makes it real hard taking photos at that time of day when the sun is setting and to boot.... it's raining on and off. None of my photos do this little Ohio jewel justice.... it really was intensely beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0581.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0583.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0584.jpg  
Old 10-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Pope

Great photos, and this looks like a really nice place. I get to Ohio from time to time, and will make an effort to visit this spot.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Was that on your way to meet up with hedgerowe?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Uh huh.... I missed the exit for it somehow on the way there but caught it on the way back. I'll add the photos.... it's gonna take me a while because I never did get around to cropping and reducing em.
Attached Thumbnails
Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0530.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

This was the very 1st trail marker I came across. They were throughout the entire fen. The 2nd photo is of what I saw when I stepped onto the boardwalk. Breathtakingly beautiful, eh?
Attached Thumbnails
Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0531.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0532.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

A favorite of birds. Although not in any of my photos.... birds were darting about within the fen. I was the only 1 on the boardwalk which made it a really wonderful experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0533.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0534.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

More photos walking the boardwalk. It's really a special place. How would you like to be living in the only home backing up to this!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0536.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0537.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0538.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0539.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0540.jpg  

Old 10-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

In 1 location, I could actually see the water percolating up because of the vegetation its flow moved.
Attached Thumbnails
Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0541.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0542.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0543.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

A bulrush meadow is beautiful in its own right.
Attached Thumbnails
Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0545.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0546.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0547.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

Fen Meadow
Attached Thumbnails
Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0548.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0549.jpg  

Tags
bog, jackson, massillon, ohio