Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

Sphagnum Moss
Attached Thumbnails
Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0550.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0556.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Beautiful tour of this find!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

A little history and more eye candy.
Attached Thumbnails
Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0551.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0552.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0553.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0554.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0555.jpg  

Old 10-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

More eye candy. I totally enjoyed this site from start to finish. The little bee seemed injured. I picked him up and moved him up onto a bench between the slats. I was hoping a predator would come along and gobble him up.... he looked kinda out of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0559.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0561.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0564.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0565.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

More photos from my walk.
Attached Thumbnails
Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0568.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0569.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0570.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0571.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0573.jpg  

Old 10-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

It was the end of the day. It was drizzling on and off. I was fortunate because the lighting was just right that the colors popped. Even my husband commented about the colors so I'm pretty happy with most of the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0574.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0576.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0578.jpg   Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0579.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #17
Official Plant Nerd

The end of your tour of Jackson Bog.... hope you get the chance to visit this site yourself some day. It'll be a real treat.
Attached Thumbnails
Jackson Bog, Massillon Ohio-img_0581.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #18
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
This was the very 1st trail marker I came across. They were throughout the entire fen. The 2nd photo is of what I saw when I stepped onto the boardwalk. Breathtakingly beautiful, eh?
Ohhhhh it IS nice veeeeery nice.
The pink floral in post #14 sure is a beaut. AND the last one in Post # 16 Maybe the little bee was just slow from the cold settling in.
SAGE! I think she has a photo of the dancing aphids like you had found in her post #15

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #19
Fox

Very nice photo tour through Jackson Bog. I share your excitement about finding a place like that. Boardwalks through bogs/fens are rather rare. They are expensive to build and require so much hand labor. You can't use heavy construction equipment to build them like you could for a path or trail on firm terrain. Using heavy equipment would cause way too much damage to the bog/fen. Even if it were easier to create a path through a bog or fen they could not stand the foot traffic because that in itself would create too much damage.

Just out of curiosity you didn't happen to take a peek at the support structure under the boardwalk? There are different methods for doing it, but none of them are very easy because it's difficult to build a support structure that will work on soft wet ground. I'm just curious because at one time a friend of mine and I were looking into putting a boardwalk into a bog.

Very few people get to see the very different flora and fauna that inhabit bogs and fens. These are fragile habitats that need a lot of protection. They won't get that protection if people can't connect with the flora and fauna that reside there.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #20
Official Plant Nerd

The boardwalk was made out of recycled plastic and so were the observation platforms and the seating. There was an incredible amount of deflection in the walkway. I'd say it was beyond "boingy". In 1 area.... I sunk standing on the boards and my feet were in about an inch of water so I'm gonna take a guess there are no supports. They're probably using a series of floats under all the planks so as not to restrict water flowing from the springs. Similar deal to the way rest and dive platforms at public beaches were "supported" using barrels when we were kids.
--
I hope you get a chance to make it to this bog some day. Maybe take K _ _ with you... he likes fens. This site was incredible.... I'd go back in a heartbeat. Probably 1 of the top 5 bogs I've visited in my life. Didja catch the Clematis virginiana climbing the tree?

Tags
bog, jackson, massillon, ohio