Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #41
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Thanks for letting us in on that little secret Sage. . I DIDN'T KNOW THAT.
I pretty much guess what you are talking about when I see your or any-ones...Abrev's.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #42
Fox

pawprint golden seal

fall golden seal pix 033, the roots are bright yellow pix 035. the leaves feel 'fuzzy/soft'

ww
Attached Thumbnails
How about a fall festival of foliage where we post photos of leaves?-fall2012-033.jpg   How about a fall festival of foliage where we post photos of leaves?-fall2012-035.jpg  
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #43
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Bird Name Acronyms

Shorthand notations for bird species names are the most popular birding acronyms. Any bird's common name can be easily transcribed into a four-letter acronym, but which four letters to use depends on the bird's name. For most species with a two word name, the first two letters of each word become the instant acronym:

HOSP – House Sparrow
WITU – Wild Turkey
RUDU – Ruddy Duck
MODO – Mourning Dove
When a bird's name has hyphenated or multiple words, the first letters of each connected word or word-like syllable may be used for the acronym:

SSHA – Sharp-Shinned Hawk
RCKI – Ruby-Crowned Kinglet
RWBB – Red-Winged Blackbird
GCRF – Gray-Crowned Rosy-Finch
In cases where the bird's name is a single word, the first four letters of the name are the standard acronym:

MERL – Merlin
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #44
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Oh, bird names are referred to by the first two letters of first and last name, for example, Peregrine Falcon is a Pefa. So can you figure out those others?
Hmm... green egrets? and Canadian geese.

I didn't realize that...although the GBHE don't quite follow that rule...shouldn't they be called GRBLHEs?

I am familiar with the abbreviation HOSP for house sparrows, but I never liked it. I guess I'm too old school. (I've never used that term in my life...I don't like it much either. LOL!)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #45

Quote:
Bird Name Acronyms

Shorthand notations for bird species names are the most popular birding acronyms. Any bird's common name can be easily transcribed into a four-letter acronym, but which four letters to use depends on the bird's name. For most species with a two word name, the first two letters of each word become the instant acronym...

When a bird's name has hyphenated or multiple words, the first letters of each connected word or word-like syllable may be used for the acronym...

In cases where the bird's name is a single word, the first four letters of the name are the standard acronym...
Sigh...I guess I can't fight the system.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 10-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #46
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Great Egrets, I don't know of any green egrets. But yes, Great Blue Heron follows the rule with GBHE.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #47

Quote:
Great Egrets, I don't know of any green egrets. But yes, Great Blue Heron follows the rule with GBHE.
It was a guess. I'm not too knowledgeable about egrets--or many birds for that matter.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #48
Fox

pawprint fall colors

pix 022 a pretty spicebush. pix 055 black cohosh (approx. 2' tall).

ww
Attached Thumbnails
How about a fall festival of foliage where we post photos of leaves?-fall2012-022.jpg   How about a fall festival of foliage where we post photos of leaves?-fall2012-055.jpg  
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #49
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Bird Name Acronyms

Shorthand notations for bird species names are the most popular birding acronyms. Any bird's common name can be easily transcribed into a four-letter acronym, but which four letters to use depends on the bird's name. For most species with a two word name, the first two letters of each word become the instant acronym:

HOSP – House Sparrow
WITU – Wild Turkey
RUDU – Ruddy Duck
MODO – Mourning Dove
When a bird's name has hyphenated or multiple words, the first letters of each connected word or word-like syllable may be used for the acronym:

SSHA – Sharp-Shinned Hawk
RCKI – Ruby-Crowned Kinglet
RWBB – Red-Winged Blackbird
GCRF – Gray-Crowned Rosy-Finch
In cases where the bird's name is a single word, the first four letters of the name are the standard acronym:

MERL – Merlin
Even at that I'd have a hard time with the names (Especially the second set) unless they are used and asked about a few times to sink in.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #50
Salamander

Well, that HOSP acronym is easy for me to remember, don't know if that would be the case for the others!
I finally came across a bit of fall color down south this weekend; a sycamore leaf with blooming turkscap!
Attached Thumbnails
How about a fall festival of foliage where we post photos of leaves?-dsc01286.jpg  
scarecrowsdrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cute couple, fall, festival, foliage, leaves, photos, post