Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Heron

Default Some pics from my trip back home to CT

Took a little hike with the kids at Bulls Bridge
Some pics from my trip back home to CT-p1030527.jpg

Some pics from my trip back home to CT-p1030528.jpg

Some pics from my trip back home to CT-p1030534.jpg
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Heron

I also went for a hike in the park across the street from my parents home. it was a working dairy farm when I was a kid and our neighbor ran the operation. Now it's 700+ acre city park and the changes from farm to park are pretty nice since they pretty much just let a lot of the pastures anf hayfields go into natural succession.
Some pics from my trip back home to CT-p1030549.jpg
This was a secret spot where the stream runs into the back of the farm pond it used to be choked with brairs and grape vine and we would always flush grouse out of this hole now a Trail runs right by it.
Some pics from my trip back home to CT-p1030555.jpgSome pics from my trip back home to CT-p1030559.jpg
Every thing to the left of the trail in the first picture was a hay field 25 years ago now it's nice and thick with black cherry, birches, and even some young oaks.
Some pics from my trip back home to CT-p1030565.jpg
This is a view from a ridge top that used to be open overlooking some pastures now there is no more view of the pastures but I think I like this better.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

It's refreshing seeing it go back to nature!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Beautiful stream.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Lovely! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
I also went for a hike in the park...it was a working dairy farm when I was a kid and...Now it's 700+ acre city park and the changes from farm to park are pretty nice since they pretty much just let a lot of the pastures anf hayfields go into natural succession.
Great photos...even better with the story that goes along with it. This reminds me of a park in Western PA that was (or part of it was) my grandparent's farm...where my dad grew up. I was too little to remember the farm and my grandmother's house, but my siblings and cousins did and would talk about what used to be there.

Great to see the woodland photo; it makes me think that the succession was successful. I have to wonder how easy it is to just let nature take its course now-a-days...it seems to me the invasives would take over.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
...it seems to me the invasives would take over.
Your not wrong to assume that Dap. There is just about every species of woody invasive you can name in that park some that weren't even there 4-5 years ago. My younger brother sits on the towns conservation committee and I talked to him about an invasive clean in that park but he informed me that particular park has it's own governing body and the conservation committee has no jurisdiction over it. I guess I should write some letters
Old 08-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Your not wrong to assume that Dap. There is just about every species of woody invasive you can name in that park some that weren't even there 4-5 years ago. My younger brother sits on the towns conservation committee and I talked to him about an invasive clean in that park but he informed me that particular park has it's own governing body and the conservation committee has no jurisdiction over it. I guess I should write some letters
I as thinking how lucky that your brother is on that committee...too bad they don't have the jurisdiction. Hopefully something can be done. Great idea about writing letters...could you get the conservation committee to back you up even without any authority?

Tags
back, home, pics, trip