Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

turtle ~Drying, dying swamps...

The latest turtle rescue on Tillman Swamp Road

Attachment 31529 so here's that turtle, he was upside down in the middle of the road

Attachment 31531 and did not appeared to be injured, though I have to wonder, why was he upside down?

Attachment 31532 I was not even sure he was alive, but he did seem to move just a bit and he opened his eyes

Attachment 31533 I took him to the edge of the swamp-no-longer

Considering the last little puddle of water is now gone>the fish probably cooked in the 90+degree days as the water disappeared>the herons, egrets, belted kingfishers have now disappeared too after their diets turned to froggies the last month
Attached Thumbnails
Drying, dying wetlands...-p1250982.jpg   Drying, dying wetlands...-p1250983.jpg   Drying, dying wetlands...-p1250985.jpg   Drying, dying wetlands...-p1250986.jpg  
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

Miss. River Dries Up As Drought Worsens: How A Dying River Could Help Crash The U.S. Economy | Economy
Quote:
So far most of the media coverage of this historic drought has focused on the impact that it is having on farmers and ranchers, but the health of the Mississippi River is also absolutely crucial to the economic success of this nation, and right now the Mississippi is in incredibly bad shape. In some areas the river is already 20 feet below normal and the water is expected to continue to drop.
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
WG Fundraising Coordinator

That's an incredibly disturbing sight Sage, especially for you because you have been attached to that area for so long. I've seen your photos of Tillman in better days, so full of life. Is Montezuma in the same situation?
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #4

Linrose, Montezuma is kind of far for us though we will probably go soon. They have eagle and osprey there to keep up happy. They have physically altered the land to create more ponds, though we have been sickened to see M the last few years because of its drying state. I do believe the got much of the precipitation that has missed Buffalo.

Even the lake at Tillman is totally dry. I expect the impact on fish, birds and wildlife to be huge.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Eeeesh.... there could be an "ecological" rainbow after the storm kinda deal for the Mississippi if this drought continues long enough but.... I never thought about boats grounding. Here's something from Ducks Unlimited I posted to cheer Sage up in another thread, The Positive Effects of Drought, "When a wetland dries out and bottom sediments are exposed to air, wonderful things happen. The loose organic soup that has accumulated over time finally has a chance to consolidate and firm up. Oxygen reinvigorates decomposition and fuels a rapid breakdown of organic matter. Nutrients are released, having the same effect on vegetation as fertilizing a lawn. Plant seeds that have been dormant in the soil have a chance to germinate and grow. The clock on the natural aging process is turned back, and the wetland is rejuvenated." It's a really great article if anyone's got about 10 minutes to read it.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
Offical Silphium Abuser

Thanks for the article, Equil.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #7

I read it but I'm still sad because there's no point going there anymore. Not even turtles can crawl out. This shot is from yesterday and probably the last I'll post of Tillman. We've checked the other areas too and all the waters, ponds, lakes are no more. All that green used to be water.

Oh, and Connie said besides pulling out the loosestrife the DEC also released those beetles, but I think they'll have years of munching to do.

Drying, dying wetlands...-p1260420.jpg
Old 09-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
WG Staff

Default Good news from the bad drought: Gulf 'Dead Zone' smallest in years

Good news from the bad drought: Gulf 'Dead Zone' smallest in years, says Texas A&M expert
Public release date: 23-Aug-2012

Good news from the bad drought: Gulf 'Dead Zone' smallest in years, says Texas A&M expert
excerpt from above:
Quote:
The worst drought to hit the United States in at least 50 years does have one benefit: it has created the smallest "dead zone" in the Gulf of Mexico in years, says a Texas A&M University researcher who has just returned from gulf waters.

Oceanography professor Steve DiMarco, one of the world's leading authorities on the dead zone, says he and other Texas A&M researchers and graduate students analyzed the Gulf Aug. 15-21 and covered more than 1,200 miles of cruise track, from Texas to Louisiana. The team found no hypoxia off the Texas coast while only finding hypoxia near the Mississippi River delta on the Louisiana coast.

"We had to...
Old 09-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #9
Fox

True the sharp brief contrast the Gulf of Mexico is experiencing now is only an elusive lull.

Surely it is a lie, but it does seem to make sense, the Texas A & M expert explains the drought driven reduction of the River of Death & proclaims hope.

U.S.A generated hypoxia poisoning has been a progressive evidence, that has liquidated so much more than just people.

It takes reality to envision the natural & immediate influx of organisms into the new, somewhat oily, recently detergentized Gulf waters, only to be soon surrounded again with the constant suffocation from the River of Death.

wildwatcher
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #10
Offical Silphium Abuser

Last weekend we visited a park touted as containing remnants of Ohio's Great Black Swamp, but found no swamp, only woods with dry ground.

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drying, dying, wetlands