Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Natural Areas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

The hardy Smilax is an interesting plant. Is it invasive?
We have a brown thrasher here. It's one I look forward to seeing every spring.
Looks like you had quite the trip! Couple more weeks and I'll be out romping. Can hardly wait!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
The hardy Smilax is an interesting plant. Is it invasive?
We have a brown thrasher here. It's one I look forward to seeing every spring.
Looks like you had quite the trip! Couple more weeks and I'll be out romping. Can hardly wait!
I don't think it is invasive we have 3 species of Smilax here in Ohio S. hispida, S. glauca, and S. routundafolia. I also passed through Greenbriar county on way way there so I think it's native just not sure what species I saw S. routundafolia growing side by side with it further into the forested areas but this stuff was right out in the sand behind the dunes.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Recurve, love taking a vacation with you this way! Turtles are so amusing and the little blues are a favorite of mine. Thanks for sharing!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
...I love the new moniker "Pantyhose Princess" too funny. I assume yours were gifted to you by the WG web fairies like mine.
I'm glad you do...I don't think Equil likes it one bit! I was suprised it hadn't changed back to something like "Poultry Pushing, Veggie Killing, Bunny Booster"

I bet she'd welcome a change...but will it be a change for the better? That is the question.

Quote:

Dap> That dragonfly was very well behaved and stood still for his picture unlike my children
Lucky you! (Well, relating to the dragonfly, not your "misbehaving" children. )

Quote:
Here's some Feathered Friends
Great photos...I always enjoy seeing herons. ...The brown thrasher is not too shabby either.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
Heron

Thanks guys I wish I got some pics of the Ospreys down there they where everywhere and it seemed every nesting platform I saw was occupied shame on me for not getting a pic.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

recurve> “yes my new avatar is quite amusing as is yours and I love the new moniker "Pantyhose Princess" too funny. I assume yours were gifted to you by the WG web fairies like mine.” Ummm…. I hand picked my avatar. I got the biggest kick out of that whacky looking Phyllis Diller Polish hen that I found online I just had to change out the old avatar for a while!!!
--
Dappy> It was the pile of pantyhose avatar I couldn't stand. Shhhhhh don't give em any ideas on a new title... ok. I like being a "Princess".
--
hava> "The hardy Smilax is an interesting plant. Is it invasive?" Nope.... not even close to being invasive, PLANTS Profile for Smilax (greenbrier) | USDA PLANTS and.... they're all native.... not an introduced Smilax in the lot!!! I've got a couple myself. I love em.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #17
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Hava> "The hardy Smilax is an interesting plant. Is it invasive?" Nope.... not even close to being invasive, and.... they're all native.... not an introduced Smilax in the lot!!! I've got a couple myself. I love em. [/FONT][/COLOR]
Equil.....
Do Smilax grow easily from seed? Smilax ecirrhata looks like a beautiful plant. Which do you grow?
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

Mine were here. I know for sure I've got Smilax illinoensis and probably 2 more plus the ecirrhata you like. I've never propagated em from seed before. I can't imagine they'd be that hard.... I can look up the protocol for you later on if you want. I'm sorta embarrassed to say.... I didn't realize that the s. ecirrhata I had was s. ecirrhata about 10 years ago and I started hand pulling it. My bad. It's taken years for it to start reappearing. I just found another 1 a coupla days ago and actually took a photo of it I was so happy. I was clearing buckthorn.... again... and there it was. Poor thing.... I dragged buckthorn out over the top of it before I realized what I'd done.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #19
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Um, excuse me but down here in the mid-south smilax is troublesome in gardens. Out in the woods it's OK but those roots run deep, just like bindweed. And the prickles aren't kidding either! We have our fair share of vines here, some are no problem, some can strangle a small tree. Greenbrier is one that won't take over but I wouldn't want it in a garden. My favorite native vine is crossvine. It can climb 50 feet up in a tree and it provides early nectar for hummingbirds.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #20
Official Plant Nerd

You've got a valid point there!!! I wouldn't want most Smilax growing anywhere near the front of my house or in my veggie gardens either!!! Now Bidens.... I'd have to think twice about. I really like those and I know most folk don't!!!

Tags
back, blue heron, brown thrasher, coralla, currituck, diospyros virginiana, great egret, natural areas, north carolina, peninsula, photos, pics, smilax, thorns, turtle, turtles, vacation, vines