Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Green Products and Service Providers > Native Plant Nurseries

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
Unicellular Fungi

Default TribalPlants

Outside the snow is insulating our crop except the 2008 10 cu in conelings. We are wrapping them in jellyrolls of 25 and storing at 34 F. As soon as they are all in cold storage we can focus on cleaning/sterilizing our containers for the next crop.

Please give us a call if you have any questions concerning breaking dormancies of wild seed.

Our policy: If we all help one another more good native species will be back in this good earth.

TribalPlants
541-310-1071
Fax 966-2397

www.tribalnativeplants.com
TribalPlants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
Unicellular Fungi

Default TribalPlants

HERE AT THE TRIBAL NATIVE PLANT NURSERY WE ...
  • embrace the challenge of propagating native plants.
  • provide a unique venue for learning about native plant propagation, habitat restoration, natural and cultural resource management, and entrepreneurship.
  • grow locally adapted native plants for riparian and shrub-steppe restoration, and for xeriscaping and native landscaping throughout Northeast Oregon and Southeast Washington.
  • operate under the guidance of CTUIR's Department of Natural Resources' Wildlife Program.
PROJECTS UTILIZING OUR PLANTS ULTIMATELY TOUCH PEOPLE OF THE NORTHWEST THROUGH RESURRECTION OF HEALTHY ANADRAMOUS FISH RUNS AND CLEAN WILD WATERWAYS.

I am fortunate to be the Manager of the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservationís Native Plant Nursery. I am quite literally the product of two PhD botanists from North Carolina State University. My parents as professors at NC State began my training at an early age. I supplemented my early informal education with a Bachelorís in Biological Science and a Masterís in Botany from NC State in the early 1970ís. I went on to take faculty positions at Purdue and Oregon State Universities working in plant disease. I have run my own wheat and cattle ranch and taught and counseled students at junior high school, high school and college levels. In my current role as Native Plant Nursery Manager for the Tribes, I help produce locally adapted native plant materials to support the restoration efforts of the Tribes and their conservation partners in the Umatilla, Walla Walla, John Day and Grande Ronde River Basins. The Nursery provides training, education and employment for tribal members in support of their treaty reserved natural resource base.

Our nursery operating at full capacity produces 300,000 wild, local ecotype native plants beginning with collection, cleaning, storage, and pre-conditioning of seed through to the propagation and plant conditioning (hardening) and site restoration. Our progress in nursery operations enhances the knowledge base for native plant horticulture, increases availability of local site-sourced plants, builds tribal and broader community understanding, supports restoration projects, provides opportunities for consulting on riparian restoration and role of native plants, develops teamwork and job skills among employees and volunteers, and has profited from a network of supporting advisors with nation and worldwide professional reputations in container nurseries, native plant horticulture, and riparian restoration.

I get to work with many people who truly care about plants; hence, I love my work.
We have fascinating plants in this area. Two photos I have attached are the Lewis Mockorange, Philadelphus lewisii, and Red Hawthorn, Crataegus columbiana.
Attached Thumbnails
TribalPlants-2framelewismockorange.jpg   TribalPlants-2frameredhawthorn.jpg  

Last edited by TribalPlants; 12-16-2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: I messed up the other photo
TribalPlants is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tribalplants

« - | Native Ohio Plants »