Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Green Products and Service Providers > Native Plant Nurseries

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 10:57 PM   #21
Official Plant Nerd

Taxodium would be an interesting seed to include in your mix of photos to help people identify the seed. That seed comes with all kinds of interesting "chaff" plus more. The seed I bought came with what looked little seed balls of some unrecognizable genus. None of us could figure out what they were and started feeling them and smelling then and licking them...gardeners are a strange lot... after all... Taxodium isn't poisonous. We posted some photos and were told by an "expert" we had been licking rabbit turds. Special. Things got worse when we all realized we had been sticking Taxodiomyia cupressiananassa (Bald Cypress Seed Midge Larva) in our mouths. As if taste testing rabbits turds wasn't enough we all had to sample maggots. Yup, that one would be a good seed to include in your seed images.

I've kept chaff and discarded seeds before. Haven't we all?
Old 04-01-2009, 07:59 AM   #22
WG Facilitator

Choking here from laughing so hard. . .
Old 04-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #23
Salamander

Gave me quite a chuckle this morning too!
Im4dabirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #24
WG Staff

Anyone who saves seed has kept chaff and discarded seed before. Chaff happens
Old 04-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #25
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staff View Post
Anyone who saves seed has kept chaff and discarded seed before. Chaff happens
Customers who purchased Culvers Root (Veronicastrum virginicum) seed from Prairie Moon back in the early 80's were actually given the tiny seed pods. No one had a microscope at the time and when the pods were planted they had produced seedlings - probably many seedlings per pod. For several years people here at the nursery thought the pods were actually the seed!
seedyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #26
Unicellular Fungi

Oh no, I've certainly never done anything at all like what anyone described above. Uh uh, not me never ever (crosses fingers behind back).
Old 04-03-2009, 11:08 PM   #27
Official Plant Nerd

Nope> not me either.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:48 PM   #28
Unicellular Fungi

To all those interested and subscribed to this thread....

Prairie Moon Nursery is having it's annual Spring Plant Sale, Today through June 1st at 6 am. Wildlife Gardeners members get advance notice of this sale. THIS IS YOUR ADVANCE NOTICE!

You must order online and we cannot make exceptions to this rule (it's the only way to keep our inventory absolutely accurate). Visit http://www.prairiemoon.com/
then enter the online store. Click on the category "PLANT SALE - web only, end of season" off to the right.

Continue checking back as we may be adding species and availabilities as the sale progresses.

The bulk email will be going to many, many more customers on Friday! Browse the plants before then - they'll go fast once that email is sent!

Questions? send a private message on this forum to Prairie Moon or Aster.

Last edited by Prairie Moon; 05-12-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: smile face icon didn't work
Prairie Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:10 PM   #29
Official Plant Nerd

Oh God. This thread is turning into the equivalent of the corner where the local drug dealer hangs out. This kind of a notice is going to be like dangling a crack cocain rock in front of addicts. I thought I was done buying plants for the year. Guess not.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #30
Carbon

When I click on the link, I don't find anything about the sale.
Please help.
jjunkroski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flower seed, flowers, forbs, germination instructions, grasses, meadow plants, moon, native flowers, native plants, native seed mixes, native seeds, nursery, prairie moon, prairie moon nursery, prairie plants, rushes, savanna plants, sedges, seed mixes, shrubs, trees, vines, wetland plants, wildflowers, woodland plants