Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Mulch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #21
WG Facilitator

Today's windfall - 11 bales of hay. I was happy enough when I thought they were the square bales. NOPE! They're the 5 x 5 foot round bales. With a little shoving from a tractor, 4 fit on the trailer. Should be able to get the weeds in the orchard to show a little restraint this year!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #22
Official Plant Nerd

Round bales>>>? Holy moly.... great balls of fire!!! That'd be great in an orchard!!! What are you using for mulch in your veggie beds?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #23
WG Facilitator

I put bags of leaves in the paths, and hay on the tops of the rows/beds. I love them both equally, but the leaves tend to blow around more, so down between the rows means more of them stay put. But once they're down, and the chickens get out and start scratching in it, the leaves and hay gets mixed up and just makes one big patch of mulch.

Hoping that will make the weeds mroe manageable this year.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #24
Official Plant Nerd

I know what you mean about letting chickens out. I let ours out a coupla weekends ago and they beelined it for some of my landscape islands where I've got layers of black hard wood chips. By the time they were done.... it looked like something from Louis Sachar's book 'Holes'. I've let them out since but.... late in the evening about an hour or so before they'd go in the coop to roost for the night. They're flat out destructive!!! There's a product out there that's a recycled product that comes in rolls of 18" that I read about somewhere that can be used year to year. I spaced out and forgot what the name of the product was and even what it was made of so I haven't been able to find it online to check it out. I remember it was water permeable and that it blocked out weeds but beyond that.... I'm lost. I'd have to check into it but I remember it sounding like something that would interest me for a number of reasons. If you run into anything that looks like a mat of compressed hardwood chips that rolls out... could ya post a link somewhere.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #25
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
Today's windfall - 11 bales of hay. I was happy enough when I thought they were the square bales. NOPE! They're the 5 x 5 foot round bales. With a little shoving from a tractor, 4 fit on the trailer. Should be able to get the weeds in the orchard to show a little restraint this year!
Congrats on your windfall...let's hope the weeds show more than just a "little restraint".
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #26

A couple of weeks ago, I stopped for gas and saw a huge truck filling up as well. It was a tree service (with a chipper, I think). I asked if they ever needed a place to dump woodchips (I'm so much like my parents!). When he found out where I lived, he gave me the number of another company that services my area. Being the procrastinator that I am, I just called today.

The secretary took down my number and information and told me that they would be back in my area fairly soon and would call when they are ready.

I'm hoping for a constant supply to help me with smothering larger sections for my planned meadow. The area I smothered with that first load, is now, pretty much planted--although I need to add more species to it--especially grasses.

If it should ever happen that I've run out of places to smother, I guess I could use the woodchips to line the paths--we used to do that (on a much smaller scale) where I grew up...although, that is a lot of work, and I won't have my sister to help (she *loved* doing this for some reason).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
...the knotweed could very well grow right up through the mulch...I've heard stories of it growing up through hardtop.

One effective way to stop it, though, is to cover it with cardboard - large pieces like from a refrigerator or something big, and then cover the cardboard with your mulch. Even knotweed cannot drill a hole through firm cardboard.
jack,

I was reading through the earlier posts. Although I didn't use cardboard back then--I wish I had (as you predicted, the knotweed made its way through the mulch)!

I have since been getting cardboard periodically from an appliance store and using it elsewhere. (...and after finding a particularly sturdy few pieces, I decided to try the knotweed again--instead of just cutting it before it blooms).

I just wanted to thank you for the suggestion...I've been pleased with the cardboard method in other areas, and I plan to smother as much as I can instead of using RoundUp--although, for some persistent things, I may break down and use it.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
...I had *one* shoot (of knotweed) coming up in a front bed. I've just repeateadly pulled it out...last year it was only two or three leaves coming up. I pulled it out and have not seen it at all this year.
I have to laugh (though I want to cry ); that shoot is *still* sending up a few leaves every couple of months. It is in no position to take over, but I have to constantly watch for it and pull it out--seems it will not just weaken and die!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by papercarver View Post
Every fall I post a request through my local freecycle site for pine needles to use as mulch... It works equally well for raked up leaves - often the stuff is even already bagged!
Another suggestion I put into practice last year. (Although, I just stop and ask if I can take them...freecycle might be a good idea too, though.)

I love the advice I have picked up from all of you here at Wildlife Gardeners! Many thanks.

Keep up the good work. Share your knowledge.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #30
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I just checked into this thread and realized I went WAAAAY too far into it when I found Suunto chiming in.

Couldn't you just pour vinegar onto that thang you're still a yanking at there Dapjwy? That's a kind of a natural route to finish off something isn't it?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
today, windfall