Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Mulch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 10:32 AM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
I've not suffered from knotweed at my present address, but I have dealt with it in the past. Nothing can really deal with thick cardboard weighed down by heavy mulch. In contrast to hardtop, for instance, it is not going to be penetrated as, other than by ripping, nothing bores through it, especially heavy duty cardboard all in a piece.
Good to know. Thanks.

I think I have one piece of cardboard from a mower we bought last year. I was saving it to use for sliding large rocks over snow, but maybe I should be using it here. Hmm... there is this one HUGE rock, I've been eyeing to add to my (theoretical) watergarden...maybe I can do the cardboard thing next year after the cardboard gets it's winter use.

Quote:

You probably have a good source for the cardboard, too- at school! When the kids graduated in the Spring, i got the cardboard all of their gowns came in - huge boxes of heavy gauge cardboard. Talk with the janitor at your school and I bet he'd be glad to set aside the cardboard that accumulates in the numerous shipments.
Great idea. I'm in the same district, but at a different building this year, so I'll have to get to know everyone there...or stop back at the elementary school and ask there.

Quote:

BTW, I think you will probably be using liner in your pond. When you purchase it, be liberal in your estimate of how much you will need. The stuff is great for knocking out areas of unwanted plants, as it is heavy, black, and water-proof. ...
My concern about using pond liner to smother weeds, is that it degrades in sunlight.

I'm definitely into smothering large sections with mulch, so that I can plant natives in their place with no competition from weeds. So far, I've planted some things among the currently growing plants and grasses...I've mostly done this in small, maintainable sections, then I just weed out what doesn't belong. I'd like to try the other (smother) method next.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #12
Grub

Quote:
You're smart! I purchased straw from a local farm and transported it in my Mini-Cooper. I didn't put down plastice (which I had) and am now paying the price. The straw grabs at the rug lining and will not let go. I fear this vehicle will have small pieces of straw still attacthed in places when it someday faces the grim reaper of metal recycling. In the meantime, I have a straw lined rear compartment!!!!!
Look on the bright side: if you ever have to transport a sheep in the back of your Mini (let's all pause for a moment and visualize this) at least the sheep will feel at home...
Old 08-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #13
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Exactly!

I *really* hope that they bring more, but I know others have requested it too.

Every fall I post a request through my local freecycle site for pine needles to use as mulch. I have NEVER had any problem getting more than I could use. Yes, I have to go pick the stuff up, but people are usually thrilled to have someone cart off their raked up pine needles (silly people). It works equally well for raked up leaves - often the stuff is even already bagged!

Also, another source of tons of cardboard: your local library. I work in a public library and we break down and recycle cardboard boxes pretty much daily. We LOVE to give them away...
Old 08-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #14
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I transported a goat in the back of a Karmann Ghia once, does that count???
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #15

Thanks for the suggestions, papercarver.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
I transported a goat in the back of a Karmann Ghia once, does that count???
I had to look that (Karmann Ghia) up. Yup, I'd say that counts.

It actually sounds like a plot for some silly sitcom episode!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #17
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Good to know. Thanks.

I think I have one piece of cardboard from a mower we bought last year. I was saving it to use for sliding large rocks over snow, but maybe I should be using it here. Hmm... there is this one HUGE rock, I've been eyeing to add to my (theoretical) watergarden...maybe I can do the cardboard thing next year after the cardboard gets it's winter use.

Great idea. I'm in the same district, but at a different building this year, so I'll have to get to know everyone there...or stop back at the elementary school and ask there.

My concern about using pond liner to smother weeds, is that it degrades in sunlight.

I'm definitely into smothering large sections with mulch, so that I can plant natives in their place with no competition from weeds. So far, I've planted some things among the currently growing plants and grasses...I've mostly done this in small, maintainable sections, then I just weed out what doesn't belong. I'd like to try the other (smother) method next.
Dap, I've been using my excess liner for sheet killing of undesirable weeds for 15 years, and it hasn't decomposed an iota. Indeed, I think the good liner is guaranteed NOT to decompose at all in sunlight. (often small sections of it get exposed to sunlight in periods of draught when no water is added by the pond keeper. What good would liner be if it deteriorated in those conditions and then started leaking once the draught was over?)

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Dap, I've been using my excess liner for sheet killing of undesirable weeds for 15 years, and it hasn't decomposed an iota. Indeed, I think the good liner is guaranteed NOT to decompose at all in sunlight. (often small sections of it get exposed to sunlight in periods of draught when no water is added by the pond keeper. What good would liner be if it deteriorated in those conditions and then started leaking once the draught was over?)
I've I have large enough sections of liner left over, I'll try it. If they are big enough, though, I'll probably use them for a bog garden or something similar.

I guess you are right. I just remember reading that--years ago. They warned that sunlight would shorten its 'lifespan'. I guess your point make sense, but I'm hoping to have no liner to show--I don't want any evidence that it is a man-made. I'm so picky...I mean thorough.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #19
Offical Silphium Abuser

Quote:
BTW, Rebek... interesting new title you got there! ~smile~
I just noticed the new title. Would that it were only the silphiums that got abused. (Of course, didn't Nietzsche say "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"? And Sara Stein titled one of her chapters "Speak Roughly to Your Little Plant.")
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
I just noticed the new title. Would that it were only the silphiums that got abused. (Of course, didn't Nietzsche say "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"? And Sara Stein titled one of her chapters "Speak Roughly to Your Little Plant.")
I have to admit that I don't pamper my plants much after putting them in. I try to plant them when there is a lot of rain...and I do water a bit the first year, but probably not nearly as much as I should. On rare occasions, in the second or third year, I've watered when a long dry spell is clearly negatively affecting the plant--tree in most cases.

I guess I have a lot of reading to do. Sad to say I can't quote Nietzsche (or I didn't realize that was a quote of his)...and I'm having a bit of trouble remembering that chapter from Sara Stein (though it does sound familiar).

Tags
today, windfall