Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Mulch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 01:53 AM   #41
Unicellular Fungi

I've had it for 2 falls but the first year I was laisd up for half the season and so it only got moderate use. The wear and tear has mostly been from occasional picking up gravel off the drive and the casing of the vac got broken. My solution was to duct tape over the hole and it works just fine. It still does its job despite some pretty hard use.
sandie40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #42
Grub

You ever tried it without the bag? I wonder if you could pile up your leaves and just start sucking leaves on one end and blowing mulch out the other?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:12 AM   #43
Unicellular Fungi

I've had the bag come loose a time or two and it's kind of messy but the main problem with that idea is that we're back to raking leaves. Not if I have a choise!
sandie40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #44
Heron

I primarily use the lawn mower to shred leaves. You need a good mulching blade...

I have a suck and shred thing, but like stated previously, the bag fills up too quickly for it to be efficient for me. Mainly I use the smaller vac shredder for spring lawn clean up, spot pick up of the corners where leaves have collected over winter.
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #45
Grub

Good info. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:00 AM   #46
Lungwort

I bought a used chipper/shredder off of Craigslist for $75. I see them there all the time. I figure that if it helps me recycle a bigger variety things into mulch, it's a win-win.
dalmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:09 AM   #47
The Bug Whisperer

I rake our leaves into piles, then run them through our 42" lawn tractor (also good fun for a male-type person) - it does a good enough job of shredding to allow reasonably quick decomposition of the leaves, whether placed on the compost pile or applied directly a mulch in the garden.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:55 AM   #48
Salamander

I really great supply of free mulch can be obtained from tree removal/trimmer companies, especially the ones who maintain power lines in town. They are quite happy to bring a truckload of the woodchips and leaves to your property and dump them. Just be careful about what they have shredded. If I see them at work in my area, I stop and find out what species, etc. they have just done. I put this material into compost bins and let it decompose over the winter. Next spring, you have a ready supply of compost and mulch. Another tactic that has proved successful is to bag your shredded leaves in large industrial black bags and tie the top. I leave these bags in the paths of the gardens over the winter. When the plants begin to break dormancy, the bags are right where you need them. The leaves are dry and quickly break down into the soil. Another thing I do before mulching is to incorporate both leaves and wood chips into the top three or four inches of the soil. This helps to introduce even more humus directly to the plants. Then I add a layer of mulch. I put down shredded leaves first; and then, I cover these with wood chips. I repeat this process as soon as the mulch begins to thin out. I believe that this mimics what nature does. Plants seem to like it.
Porterbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #49
WG Guardian Spirit

Quote:
I rake our leaves into piles, then run them through our 42" lawn tractor (also good fun for a male-type person) -
Ooh, I bet you could do that with a bushhog, too. That sounds like fun! (Planning lasagna beds here, then mulch come summer.)
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #50
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
How bout Cypress?
Cypress is off-limits: Home****-****Save Our Cypress Coalition - Say NO to Cypress Mulch

Local mulch is best. At least in our area, they use branches from tree trimming so it recycles the wood; and it doesn't import pests.
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mulch