Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Mulch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 12:10 AM   #31
Unicellular Fungi

I'm with you rbrady. I use pine needles a lot. They are great for mulch and even greater for winter protection for many plants.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #32
Carbon

I use whatever falls in the fall, it just does not seem to be enough for my flower beds. I really want enough to make paths throughout my gardens.

I have 7 tall white pines and 1 spruce in my small backyard-I swear the needles blow over the fence into the neighbors yard!
rbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #33
Unicellular Fungi

I need white pine needles.

Do any neighborhoods around you set out bags of leaves by the curb? You could take those.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #34
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrady View Post
I use whatever falls in the fall, it just does not seem to be enough for my flower beds. I really want enough to make paths throughout my gardens.

I have 7 tall white pines and 1 spruce in my small backyard-I swear the needles blow over the fence into the neighbors yard!
I bet they would let you rake them up! Around here, lots of folks bag them and send them off to landfill without realizing what a great mulch they are. Maybe you could ask around and find some in town.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #35
Unicellular Fungi

I have 8 large old oak trees on my acre lot and so have a seemingly endless supply of oak leaves. I shred them and two years ago mulched my back flower and shrub garden with them. I had planted a free canna lily in that garden. The instructions were to lift it in the fall. I don't do that, once planted, things stay planted! It came back and flowered beautifully this last spring. This last fall I decided to mulch heavily with shredded leaves anywhere I could remember planting Caladium (which also instruct you to lift these in the fall). We'll see if the leaf mulch works for them. It has been a much colder winter then normal. I figured I had nothing to lose since I wasn't going to lift them.

I have used the rubber mulch for paths through the back garden. Since it doesn't breakdown and there is no food growing back there, it seemed an efficient plan. Anywhere I am trying to grow something I want a mulch that will enrich the soil by decomposing. I envy those of you who have access to mulch from your municipalities. It is not happening in this rural area. I have spent the winter buying a yard of mulch at a time in bulk (it just about fills my small pickup bed). I then drive the truck to wherever I need to mulch the most and mulch directly from the truck. I've probably done about half of the beds. It is double ground wood mulch. It is way too expensive to do the kind of mulching I need to do, by the bag.
sandie40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:14 AM   #36
Grub

sandie40:

How do you shred your leaves? I'm hoping to find something better than my lawnmower, but not really expensive.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:09 AM   #37
WG Guardian Spirit

I've heard of, but haven't yet tried, using a string trimmer on leaves in a big plastic garbage can. Supposedly, this is effective and also great fun for male humans.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #38
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyC View Post
also great fun for male humans.
I get all kinds of visuals of leaves flying all over the place....and covering me head to toe. :eek:
Old 02-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #39
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineStraw View Post
sandie40:

How do you shred your leaves? I'm hoping to find something better than my lawnmower, but not really expensive.
I use a Black and Decker Vac-n-Mulch and a LOT of extension cords. The main problem is that the bag fills up quickly so then I empty it into a light weight plastic garbage can and drag the mulch to whichever bed I am mulching or to the compost bins. When the leaves get ahead of me late in the fall I drive the riding mower over anything I can but then they can't be used as mulch because raking is not on my list of "fun things to do" list. But it is that or I am wading through literally knee high leaves blown up against the front of the house. The Vac-n-mulch was somewhere around $50-$70 at Lowe's or Home Depot.
sandie40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #40
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandie40 View Post
The Vac-n-mulch was somewhere around $50-$70 at Lowe's or Home Depot.
I guess it will last a little while. I wondered how fast what ever does the grinding/chopping would wear out with all that volume in the Fall. Guess that is what is is designed for.

Tags
mulch