Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Mulch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
PIne fines are just finely ground pine bark. Usually with the bagged pine bark mulch from the big box stores they are big chunks which I don't like. This is more like rolled oats in size if you can picture that. There shouldn't be a lack of pine bark up there. Folks down here also use "pine straw" which are just pine needles. I never heard of them until we moved down here but it's a popular mulch and kind of attractive.

We were just up in Massachusetts this past week. It was so great to feel those ocean breezes and have temps in the 80s. We got out to the Vineyard for a day trip which was crazy on the week of the 4th holiday but I just wanted to see the Atlantic which I've missed for several years.

About planting natives too thinly, how long ago did you plant them? I'm a notorious overplanter because I figure I can pull out what's crowding others in time. I did let the brown-eyed susans and the aromatic aster run amok which I will remediate this fall. OK, so no newspapers, no cardboard, and no leaves. The only other thing I can think of is salt hay which may be available in your area. It doen't contain seeds that could invade your garden because it spreads by rhizomes. The only thing is I don't know how sustainable it is given it's an important grass in the tidal zones. I wouldn't use straw because of the weed seeds it could introduce.

Then there's just good old fashioned weed pulling and digging which nobody really likes to do in the high summer months.
Thanks! So you were on the Vineyard. I'm there quite often, as my sister lives there in Vineyard Haven.

I will start to ask around for cardboard and then purchase two or three bailes of hay. I can't see myself paying for bags of fancy mulch, not for where this border garden lies. Yes, I underplanted. I, too, used to overplant, so on this bed I was careful - too careful as it turned out. Now I even have some tomato plants growing in there, trying to take up some of the space. Those plants, ironically enough, are doing well! Black Russian Krim tomatoes...

I'm waitng for the large nursery closer to heavily populated areas to stock Agastache (sp) which always attracts the bumblebees that I enjoy trying to identify. Unfortunately, even the plants that have attracted bumblebees in the past are not drawing them this year. There is a kind of silent spring occurring here, but nobody is talking about it. Everyone seems to have their head in the sand... Sometimes I think I must appear to them to be "Chicken Little."

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
break down, chop, clippings, decompose, decomposition, garden, garden beds, garden mulch, gardening, gathering leaves, lawn sweeper, leaf blower, leaves, love, mower, mulch, mulching, natural, nitrogen, oak leaves, organic, plants, raking leaves