Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Mulch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #41
Official Plant Nerd

Don't you have any neighbors using pine trees used as specimen trees in yards? I knock on the door and ask if I can help take some. Too many needles around the base of a pine tree can cause problems anyway and most homeowners are neat nics and don't like the build up.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #42
WG Fundraising Coordinator

OK, I have not been on this forum long but hopefully I can recommend a very good other forum (is that OK?) where the folks are very knowledgeable about such things. I guarantee you will find everything and more about mulches and compost, etc. there. Here is the URL Soil, Compost and Mulch Forum - GardenWeb

You might even get a little lost there after surfing a few hours!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #43
Official Plant Nerd

I don't think they care if we give links to other places. I've been to that forum before. There was some very good info. The thing that totally irks me with them is all the gunk they put on our computers that you have to clean up after you're done reading. It's pretty scummy IMHO to run into them in a search engine and then you click and you're there to read something or other before you figure out where you ended up. They're waaaaaay too into junk ads and tracking. Here's a forum I found surfing where I got lost that you might get a kick out of and pretty much all of it is organic, www.dirtdoctor.com • Composting Forum They have some sharp posters. I'm not a member but.... I picked up a lot from their organic home brews and composting forums. No tracking or spyware to clean up when you leave that dirt site. Another one I found that's free to read that you might like is Mother Earth News but it isn't a forum. That's a place I totally get lost at and they've got an excellent article on lasagna gardening, Lasagna Gardening. They're kinda ad overloaded too but no tracking garbage when you leave their place. Any other good reading sites you know of for organic fertilizers?
Old 03-06-2010, 11:45 PM   #44
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
The thing that totally irks me with them is all the gunk they put on our computers that you have to clean up after you're done reading. It's pretty scummy IMHO to run into them in a search engine and then you click and you're there to read something or other before you figure out where you ended up. They're waaaaaay too into junk ads and tracking.
Have you ever done a google site search on them, and then just read the caches instead of entering the site? It's a cleaner way to visit, and the google cache has older pages that Gardenweb has deleted.

For example, try
site:www . gardenweb . com compost
(but remove the spaces-- the system keeps making it into a link when I leave them out!)
and then click on the "cached" tab below each entry.
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:13 AM   #45
Official Plant Nerd

Way cool trick. No way would I have figured that out on my own. I wasn't going to say much more but the last time I was there I vowed never to go back if they turned up in a search result because of all the junk they loaded my computer up with. And... I know it happened there because I cleaned up with SpyBot and restarted my computer then forgot to save the threads I wanted and had to go back to get them and got loaded again. It takes a lot of juice running spyware removal programs and I can't move around as fast as I want surfing when they're running. Their FAQ's were dated but there were a couple of really good threads that I ended up saving. Check out that lasagna gardening article I found. It's sooooo good. You're a reader like me so poke around at that other forum in that organic home brews and see what you think. I liked the compost tea discussions. I saved some of their threads too and bookmarked a site one of their people suggested, Soil Foodweb. I haven't had time to check it out yet. It looked promising. Working on it!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #46
Unicellular Fungi

Would you be able to educate me on exactly how we would be able to differentiate between a cached website page as opposed to a live page?

There are other websites notorious for malware that have appeared in my searches. I shy away from reading information they offer. A dependable work around would be very much appreciated.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #47
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Here's an example - I just typed otter into google search - see the very end in lighter colors where it says cached - similar. It usually works when you get a dead link, the cached page will still be visible.
Sorry it's so big, I just copied and pasted it.

Otter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Otters are semi-aquatic (or in one case aquatic) fish-eating mammals. The otter subfamily Lutrinae forms part of the family Mustelidae, which also includes ...
Nomenclature - Characteristics - Species - In popular culture
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otter - 2 hours ago - Cached - Similar

But this might not answer your question Lorax, because in this case the cached page is the same as live.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #48
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I'm a little confused on what you mean by junk. Do you mean cookies for tracking? I know that GardenWeb used to be much better before iVillage bought them out and really started into hard core advertising etc. I was a frequent poster there for years until then. Now an occasional lurker. They seem to have some strange new system that tracks words by underlining them and putting them in color so we can all feel even stranger about being there at all. If you click on the word you get to an ad. Many good folks left after that change. And many left before that when iVillage took over. It's kind of a light group over there now, mostly newbies and a few hard core devotees from the old days. Sad really because there were so many incredibly intelligent and experienced folks that were willing to impart their knowledge for free!

Hmmmm.... maybe that's why I'm here now!!???
I think I've found a new home.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #49
WG Operations, Facilitator

Linrose,
I agree with your comments about gardenweb. Too many popups and that new word link pop up thingy is the most annoying website "feature" ever!!

I'm happy to hear that you consider the WildlifeGardeners forum your new home.
I consider it my new home too!!

BooBooBearBecky
Old 03-11-2010, 02:05 AM   #50
Official Plant Nerd

linrose> "I'm a little confused on what you mean by junk. Do you mean cookies for tracking?" I came from a site named Dave's Garden and the same thing happened to them you described at the site you came from. All of the sudden they got sold and things went haywire. Their search engines stopped working right and there were pop ups they apologized for saying they would remove them and it really got out of control. Everybody said move to firefox or buy a subscription so you could turn off the ads but... I was a subscriber at the time and I did have ads turned off and I was still finding things on my computer when I'd run SpyBot. My friend cleaned up my computer and gave me waaaay more information than what I could deal with about something called page worms and legal spyware and malware picked up when we visit some websites especially peer to peer and file sharing sites so this goes waaay beyond the standard cookies most site have to use for us to get around their sites. My take on what page worms are is that they were invented by our government looking for "bad guys" to put on sites to be picked up by "bad guys" and then this worm thing hangs out on computers following "bad guys" around phoning home telling them where they're going and what they're doing after they leave a site and now some corporate owned websites must be using the similar technology to track people using their sites to sell more ads. Anywho... I read how these worms could report back typed passwords and usernames and e-mails and my mind blew. I don't care if our government tracks me for accidentally landing on one of their watched sites for homeland security puroses or what ever but... I'm not going to let some website and its "affiliates" start tracking me when I leave their site. I figured out websites have about as much control over their third party ad servers as I do over my kid's friends... zip nadda none! I kept cleaning up our computers and still kept ending up with junk and couldnít figure out where it was coming from since we added software to block kids from visiting file sharing sites. Turns out it had been coming from a couple sites I stopped in at regularly. I was being tracked when I left their websites supposedly to "enhance my experience" using their site... as in... targeting ads to me based on my browsing habits and sharing my info with other places to enhance my visit. Tell me... how do dogs barking at us on our monitors trying to sell us dog bones while we're trying to log on at a gardening site and highlighted words that bring up little boxes that cover up what we're trying to read and all the ads selling sex like dating services enhance our experience at any gardening website??? Gimme native plant ads or give me organic product ads from reputable companies but barking dogs selling dog bones??? And.... what happens when all this information they're collecting about us that they "share" with third party advertisers to "enhance" our experiences if they get sold... again... to another company or hacked? I googled what some of the junk was and I was in way over my head understanding invisible this or that and embedded this or that and legal trojans and legal invasion of privacy and analytics and algorithms and targeted marketing and $$$ and and and... made my head spin because the sites gunking me up the worst were the ones I trusted. Sooo... I don't go to them anymore and I donít end up with hardly any red entries in my spyware removal programs where I used to be getting at least 10 each time. It's the third party ads!!!! I'm finding the junk is almost always coming from sites that allow third party ads!!! If you start seeing third party ads at a website or privacy policies that say, "This Privacy Policy Does Not Apply To Affiliate, Third Party, and Co-Branded Websites" or anything even close to that linrose... run!!

Tags
arsenic, decomposed pine needles, decomposed pine straw, decomposition, dyed mulch, hardwood bark mulch, hardwood chips, input, mulch, mulches, pine, pine bark, pine mulch, pine needles, pine straw, pressure treated wood