Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Mulch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #31
WG Facilitator

50 bags of premium mulch - yikes! Premium black mulch at that. grump grumble fuss. sorry - but glad he's yours and not mine!

Mine does enough damage.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #32
WG Staff

Default Dyed Mulch. Another way to ruin your garden and home

Dyed Mulch. Another way to ruin your garden and home.
http://www.gdnctr.com/dyed_mulch.pdf

excerpts from above:
Quote:
Dyed landscape mulch containing wood treated with CCA (chromium, copper and arsenic) better known as pressure-treated wood can raise the level of arsenic in soil above safe levels.
Quote:
Proponents of dyed mulches suggest adding extra nitrogen fertilizer to supply what the plants need. Experts argue it would take huge amounts to counteract the effects of the mulch.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #33
WG Facilitator

Luckily you have lots of coffee grounds with lots of nitrogen. And as luck would have it, they are black, just like your mulch. They won't show through.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:33 AM   #34
Official Plant Nerd

Ah hem... vegetable dyes would be safe if used on a "safe" product like pine needles or other unprocessed wood and bark. biigblueyes> The crap my husband bought isn't "safe" and no way would I have enough coffee grounds for 50 bags of Scott's black. I think you better get a good look at what color coffee grounds turn after a while. They're black when you drop the filter but they don't stay that nice deep black for long.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #35
WG Facilitator

Fine - I was just trying to give you a bright side to your dilemma, but failing miserably.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:41 AM   #36
Official Plant Nerd

Dar ees no bright side... he bought it and it sat in the trailer for a couple weeks before I noticed it was dyed. He said he wasn't going to drive it back and unload it so he could load 50 more bags. No decisions for me to make. It stayed. Husband was a fire sale item the day I found out there were 50 bags of dyed mulch back there.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #37
WG Facilitator

ummmm, I'm afraid on days like that we'd BOTH have trouble giving our hubbies away. When they're good, they're stellar. But sometimes. . . .
Old 11-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #38
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staff View Post
Dyed Mulch. Another way to ruin your garden and home.
http://www.gdnctr.com/dyed_mulch.pdf

excerpts from above:
Intersiting that they don't list their source for the CCA quote.

Great article. Too bad that the author is assuming most every producer of mulch is using treated lumber.

Last edited by Fearless Weeder; 11-06-2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: removing self promotion from post
skennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:07 AM   #39
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

It stands to reason that adding toxins to soil will sooner or later make the soil toxic, but apparently there haven't been to many studies of CCA mulch directly. I thought this was interesting:

Mulch & Soil Council Acts to Protect the Public: CCA-Treated Wood is Prohibited in Mulch
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:03 AM   #40
Fox

I think we also should be paying attention to where our mulches come from. In our area one has to obtain permits to gather pine straw from the National Forest but the problem is some of these companies ignore the permits or obtain them and then go into areas where they don't have permits and in doing so destroy native ground covers. I'm going to see if I can find out exactly where my hardwood mulch is coming from. It may be an interesting answer.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arsenic, decomposed pine needles, decomposed pine straw, decomposition, dyed mulch, hardwood bark mulch, hardwood chips, input, mulch, mulches, pine, pine bark, pine mulch, pine needles, pine straw, pressure treated wood