Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Mulch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 12:21 PM   #21
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by skennedy View Post
Loads a great advice! Loblolly is the best color.
There definitely is always good advice around here. I have found that color preference seems to vary mostly by region, species availability, and personal preference. Pine straw color can vary from an almost golden color to a very reddish brown.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:03 PM   #22
Official Plant Nerd

The color doesn't so much matter to me at all. I'm more going for function than eye catching but... no matter what color it comes in it's natural looking even when it ages so I could care less. What kills me is that shredded orange oompa loompa looking color they add to some of our mulches, Wildlife Friendly Mulches
Old 11-01-2009, 05:35 AM   #23
Rock Star

oompa loompa color Equil? I see you're watching or reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I'm not fond of that ugly red orange much either especially when it's placed under magenta azaleas.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:40 AM   #24
WG Facilitator

I really dislike the fake colors of mulch. I dont' even like the ones dyed black. What's wrong with "real"?
Old 11-01-2009, 07:34 AM   #25
Pope

I don't know where I read this, and it was some time ago. I am gathering that it must be untrue, based on the comments I have seen on this site. Here it is, in a nutshell:

Dyed mulch is made from things like old, broken, pallets and other discarded utilitarian wood products which would have otherwise just gone to the landfill, a wasted resource. It is dyed because it is so unattractive that most people (Joe and Josephine Suburban Homeowner) would never use it. Therefore, it actually has some merit as an environmentally beneficial product. I will see if I can find where I read that.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #26
Rock Star

Interesting information about recycled material but I also wonder if the dye isn't also to hide materials we don't want in the garden.

Aesthetically I suspect most people that choose colored mulch either don't have much choice (big box stores) or really want the mulch to be a design element, however misguided the unnatural colors are.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #27
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
I don't know where I read this, and it was some time ago. I am gathering that it must be untrue, based on the comments I have seen on this site. Here it is, in a nutshell:

Dyed mulch is made from things like old, broken, pallets and other discarded utilitarian wood products which would have otherwise just gone to the landfill, a wasted resource. It is dyed because it is so unattractive that most people (Joe and Josephine Suburban Homeowner) would never use it. Therefore, it actually has some merit as an environmentally beneficial product. I will see if I can find where I read that.
Hedgerowe, I read the same article maybe you did about CAA's in the wood of some mulches. My reasearch tells me that the colored mulches are mostly made of iron oxide pigments which currently are considered "safe" by the EPA and other recognizable firms. Our top spary is being tested by the SRC and has passed the major hurdles to be labeled a sustainable product.

Great to hear how everyone has a specific idea of what color or non color they prefer. Thanks for all the input! You guys are great!
skennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #28
Grub

I also don't know why someone would buy a non-natural colored mulch, but agree with will-o-wisp that it is probably as a design element. I had never thought of mulch being dyed to hide the look of stuff.......hmmmmmmm.......but as Hedgerowe pointed out, could have some merit as long as CCA/nails/termites and the like weren't in the product as well. Personally, I like the color of purely natural mulch. But I really don't like the way my landscaping looks when my mulch fades to gray. Fortunately, I have enough pine trees in my yard to keep my mulch steadily replaced. I do like the color of the basic brown and black dyes I have seen, but only when used when there is already a deep enough layer of beneficial mulch that has just faded to gray. In my experience, with the products I have used, if you spray it on too heavy, it can take on a fake look.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:27 AM   #29
Official Plant Nerd

"I suspect most people that choose colored mulch either don't have much choice (big box stores) or really want the mulch to be a design element, however misguided the unnatural colors are."... There is another reason why the unnatural colors are chosen... I sent my husband out to buy 50 bags of hardwood chips. I specifically told him nothing dyed and to get plain old natural hardwood chips that would age to a gray naturally. He came home with 50 bags of Scott's black. Last thing I remember him saying when I asked why he bought dyed was something about how that was the only one they had 50 of and that they told him it would age to a natural gray. Could have been worse. Could have been cedar.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #30
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
"I suspect most people that choose colored mulch either don't have much choice (big box stores) or really want the mulch to be a design element, however misguided the unnatural colors are."... There is another reason why the unnatural colors are chosen... I sent my husband out to buy 50 bags of hardwood chips. I specifically told him nothing dyed and to get plain old natural hardwood chips that would age to a gray naturally. He came home with 50 bags of Scott's black. Last thing I remember him saying when I asked why he bought dyed was something about how that was the only one they had 50 of and that they told him it would age to a natural gray. Could have been worse. Could have been cedar.

Next time I'm at my big box stores, I'll have to do some inventory and see what the make up of the selection is. I'm sure the profit margin is higher on the colored stuff since it is a "valued-added" product and it's all about profits.

Tags
arsenic, decomposed pine needles, decomposed pine straw, decomposition, dyed mulch, hardwood bark mulch, hardwood chips, input, mulch, mulches, pine, pine bark, pine mulch, pine needles, pine straw, pressure treated wood