Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Mulch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #11
Unicellular Fungi

I am biased toward pine mulch myself. It can be used anywhere based on my personal experiences.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #12
Carbon

Thanks for all the info on PineStraw Mulch. I am in Texas and we had such a dry summer. They say with the Pine you do not have to put a think layer to be affective and when it breaks down it does not change the ph of the soil drasticaly. I do believe I will try it this summer.
granbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:32 PM   #13
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by granbright View Post
Thanks for all the info on PineStraw Mulch. I am in Texas and we had such a dry summer. They say with the Pine you do not have to put a think layer to be affective and when it breaks down it does not change the ph of the soil drasticaly. I do believe I will try it this summer.
2.5-3 inches with it laid loose and fluffy is a good depth to start. Once it gets watered it, it will form a nice even mat of about 1.5-2 inches. It really keeps the weeds down as well.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

Back to the original question... the rolls can be used to break rapid freeze thaw cycling. Rapid freeze thaw cycling can be deadly to some plants. Nothing can kill some plants deader than cycling. They won't be able to break dormancy come the following spring if you have a bad winter season. I place a layer of permeable polar fleece down then add the pine mulch then a layer of oak leaves then another layer of pine mulch. You can forego the permeable polar fleece if you want. Most carnivorous plant growers with created bogs use the baled pine mulch. If you are growing carnivorous plants in zone 4 or 5 or 6; you're going to want to create a depth greater than the 2.5" to 3" suggested above when tucking your plants away for the winter. In spring, it rolls off easily and you can toss it in your composter or reuse it somewhere else. I can see too many other applications for its use to mention with vegetable gardening high on the for my zone. Around "normal" plants and in beddings, it's my experience the thickness it comes in is perfect for zone 6 and higher. You might want to double up for zone 5 and lower depending on the plant. Just don't go overboard with pine mulch... or any other mulch... creating mulch volcanoes around trees and shrubs with it and you'll be good to go, Tips for Proper Mulching Around Your Trees
Old 10-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
WG Writer

We have long-leaf pine here. Im planting more pine trees so I have plenty of my own pine straw mulch.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #16
Pope

Hazelnut, I have been planting Loblolly pines for the same reason, and plan to also plant some Shortleaf pine (which turns out not to be so short-leafed after all).
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:20 AM   #17
Official Plant Nerd

I have Pinus resinosa, banksiana, and strobus in a windbreak I started. My little trees aren't dropping enough leaves for me to make use of them. I get hives up and down my arms when I touch pine needles. The last kid will be long gone by the time my pines are dropping enough that I don't have to buy so nobody to scoop them up means I'm going to be buying for a looooooooong time. I'm ok with that.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #18
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-o-wisp View Post
I picked up my first 3 bags today while walking the dogs.

It gives new meaning, and a rather sophisticated air (at least that's what I tell myself as I pretend I'm really not carrying huge bags of leaves home from a walk) , to the term bag lady.

I can visualise you sashying home with the bags of leaves almost floating beside you.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #19
WG Staff

Quote:
I have Pinus resinosa, banksiana, and strobus in a windbreak I started.
Shake them to make them let go of more pine needles?
Old 10-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
Carbon

Loads a great advice! Loblolly is the best color.

Last edited by Fearless Weeder; 10-30-2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: removing self promotion from post
skennedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arsenic, decomposed pine needles, decomposed pine straw, decomposition, dyed mulch, hardwood bark mulch, hardwood chips, input, mulch, mulches, pine, pine bark, pine mulch, pine needles, pine straw, pressure treated wood