Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Natural Gardeners Unite > Mulch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Carbon

Default Weeds turn into mulch!=save $ and work

Hey!, I have been trying to utilize my just pulled, or just cut weeds/plant stalks/trimmings, etc as a mulch material, as I proceed to weed my way around ind the yard. I especially like to pile up this weed debris around my small shrubs and trees. The weed-mulch acts immediately to provide shade around the base of the desired shrub, and it also provides cover for snakes, toads, and all of the insects that might like to hide in there while feasting on the weeds, as they break down, over the next few weeks.
I only haul the excess weeds to the compost pile anymore.
I also try to leave an abundance of the last seasons leaf litter on the ground- only thinning the too-dense piles, and tossing some into/onto the thinner spots where it has blown away, of failed to cover the soil sufficiently.
Consequently, I've noticed a lot more birds investigating much more of the square footage of my yard-eagerly searching among the mulch/litter looking for an easy meal.
Thereby, I hope to encourage more interest and activity by the reptiles and amphibians/anurans too- but I might not see/notice them as often or as easily as I do the birds.
guloguloguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Grub

I'm right with you on that method and I suspect we're not alone.

It's so enjoyable to discover that working slow and easy and with nature is, for me, normally the best plan.

I smile to myself when I see all the healthy yard birds digging around happily finding insects to feed to their chicks. The ones who win my acre as their territory definitely live in a great location.

Donna in Nebraska
buteojamaicensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Unicellular Fungi

Be careful you aren't mulching with weed seeds.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
Be careful you aren't mulching with weed seeds.

Right. Good thing to be aware of. My method utilizes very young weeds. Any with seed heads go into the compost pile to rot down.

Donna in Nebraska
buteojamaicensi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mulchsave, turn, weeds, work