Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Must see set of YouTubes for anyone thinking about backyard chickens

A guy named Mark Lewis put out a series of videos titled, 'The Natural History of the Chicken'. I'm gonna try to make it so they don't embed so I don't blow out anyone on a dial up. When I watched the 1st video.... I thought the woman with the chicken as a soul mate was a hoot and laughed my rear off at the thought... until I got attached to Bertha. Then she didn't seem so bizarre any more. There I was sitting in the family room with Bertha in my lap petting her realizing, "oh my God"... "I turned into the goofy chicken lady. I think the 2nd video has the guy who does a real good chicken cock a doodle doo and he goes through the mating ritual. You'll laugh so hard you'll have tears coming out of your eyes from watching that because you'll pick up real fast the guy's serious and he's been practicing. Then 1 of the videos has a woman who did mouth to beak resuscitation on 1 of her chickens that almost froze to death and I have to say.... ny nose was about 6" away from the monitor watching and hoping her chicken would live. Last video is the heart warmer. That'll leave you with tears in your eyes for Liza but I'm not gonna spoil it for anyone. You gotta watch and see what I'm talking about. Here ya go-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkxO91TLKVg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84vXdEdSJI4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2C1E1_BN1Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaO1hDMgJsw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJFU8mjMEK0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXXUPK-OvtQ

--
If those don't pump you and get you wanting chickens... nothing will.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Heron

Those videos made me cry, how wonderful !! I love my girls, there so sweet and give wonderful eggs. we have hatching going on right now at the house, we are blessed!!!!!!!!!!!
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Didja watch em all>>>>? Every last bit of every video? I gotta get 4B and jack and Dappy over by this thread!!!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Heron

I watched 2 my kids watched the rest. Did you read my post? I got my first chick today! My broody is such a good mama! I put 5 eggs under her and we got one so far! I will post pictures later on.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
Heron

We would love to have hens! But they are not permitted under our city ordinances.
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
WG Operations, Facilitator

I watched all 6 parts of the video. What a hoot!!!

The elderly lady who revived her frozen chicken was soooo funny. When she tried to shove the "dead" chicken body with his feet sticking up in the air in a shoe box, I thought she was going to say, "....so I cut his legs off." LMAO!!!

And Liza's Story made me tear up. What an amazing story!

The BigAg chicken farms were very sad.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeWonderful View Post
We would love to have hens! But they are not permitted under our city ordinances.
Several towns here swayed city council , petitions went around town and they had to allow them. I didn't care, I got mine any ways after talking to every neighbor, there like hey it's fine with us! No roosters of course but hey go for it. Then they started bring over scraps lol. I am not sure what I can keep, but by goodness I'm keeping them!
Old 04-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
I watched all 6 parts of the video. What a hoot!!!

The elderly lady who revived her frozen chicken was soooo funny. When she tried to shove the "dead" chicken body with his feet sticking up in the air in a shoe box, I thought she was going to say, "....so I cut his legs off." LMAO!!!

And Liza's Story made me tear up. What an amazing story!

The BigAg chicken farms were very sad.
I laughed so hard, I was worried about her bending the legs ! I can nt believe it got that cold she froze. Unbelievable! We are so blessed with our girls, there so fun, so easy to care for and with five girls we get 2 dozen or more a week!
Old 04-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

"We would love to have hens! But they are not permitted under our city ordinances." Sounds like somebody needs a "stealth" coop. Check out the 3 stealth chicken coops here, Backyard Farming: Stealth Chickens. Are those great or what!!! I found another photo online of a "stealth" chicken coop that left me cracking up laughing over the thought of barbecuing on that deck with cluckers below. I know folk are really going this route. No roosters though.... they'd blow your cover!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Must see set of YouTubes for anyone thinking about backyard chickens-stealth-chicken-coop.jpg  
Old 12-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

Bumpity bump bump bump for Liquid!!!

Tags
backyard, chicken story, chicken video, chickens, chicks, coop, funny, hens, humor, humorous, roosters, set, stories, thinking, video, youtubes