Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Problem with gap between fence and gate

We set the concrete for the gate ourselves and I'm thinking... no.... I know... we left too big of a gap. We had a few chickens get through the gap when they were much smaller. No escapees lately but next year we'll have a few little ones again. I left an overhang of the hog panel to sorta block off a little of the gap. Problem is every once in a while when I'm in a hurry going in the run... I forget those bars sticking out and I've done some damage to myself. I stuck little pieces of plastic tubing over them to lessen the blow but I'm still nailing myself.
--
These are the panels I used, Behlen Country Hot - Dipped 4 Gauge Galvanized Fence Panel (Cattle) at Blain's Farm & Fleet. It's 4 gauge. Are there any bright red caps I could order somewhere to cover those ends I left hanging so at least when I run into them again I don't end up gouging my leg?
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with gap between fence and gate-img_6296.jpg  
Old 09-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Are they long enough to bend just the end into a U?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
WG Operations, Facilitator

What about stiff rubber or gasket material (rolls or sheets)?

Cut it into strips a bit wider than the gap.
Punch holes in one side of the strip.
Zip tie strip to fencing edge to cover the gap.

Or attached a thin wood strip to the fencing edge and staple gun a rubberized flap to it.

Perhaps this could also be used to fill the gap at the bottom of a gate?

I've seen material like this at hardare stores and auto parts stores.

You could even purchase a cheap rubberized floor runner mat and cut it into strips (this is what I used to make my dog kennel door flap that goes into the garage.)

Ok, just some ideas for you to ponder.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:37 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

I might be able to bend them over a little bit. That'd take some of the "ouch" out of me forgetting they're there. I looked at some gasket material. I must not be looking at the right gasket material. What I should do is print off that photo and take it in to Menards or something and just tell them I want to rig some sort of a flap to stop chicks from taking a walk on their own. I liked the idea of flaps. I've clipped myself so many times I don't even care how bad whatever I end up with looks like just as long as it works.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
Heron

stiff rubber is what Im thinking also. bend it and secure it onto one side. it will secure that gap and open easy with out you gettng hurt.
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #6

That gap doesn't look that big.
Cut off those leg serraters or bend them in real tight and pound a good length of wood in (the width needed to fill the gap) right up close next to the stationary end of the fence that the gate swings into. You could wrap a wire around it a few times to keep it snug against the existing part.
If you cannot pound one in due to hitting rocks or something of the sort...Add another pipe or 2x2 or whatever's needed to the end of the existing STATIONARY part of the fence by drilling a few holes in it and wrapping it into place with some wire!

Old 10-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

I don't have this taken care of yet. I stuck it on a back burner since our chickens have their wings clipped and they're too big to slip through. It's just me getting clipped every once in a while when I forget they're sticking out and I'm not "getting" how I could attach a flap to it so I could bend those over and... not much I can pound into the ground to attach anything to since those posts are set in concrete.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #8

Concrete below it ha? there goes the sinking a post in idea.
Problem with gap between fence and gate-img_6296.jpg
Try wrapping the wire around a 2x4 or whatever size is needed to close the gap. If the wire's not long enough, drill a few holes and poke the wire through to tighten things up.

Tags
attach, containment, enclose, enclosure, fence, fence gaps, fencing, flaps, gap, gaps, gasket, gasket material, gate, menards, problem, rubber, rubber material