Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Lib,
I was gonna tell you to just wait until the crowing began, but I see it has! lol

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

Sage> Your 1st photo's a black cochin. Looks like a large fowl black cochin to me but they come in a bantam too that's a lot smaller. There's a black frizzle cochin too that looks like it stuck its toe in an electrical socket. Weird looking birds those frizzles are. The cochins are cold hardy but since they've got all those feathers on their legs they tend to end up walking around with little snow balls stuck to them in winter. Makes me feel bad for them stuck with what looks like white golf balls hanging on their legs. That's gotta be a lot of extra weight for a chicken to have to run around with. The 2nd photo I dunno other than that it's a rooster. Maybe some sort of a leghorn mix>>>? Here's the most comprehensive listing of chickens with photos I know of, http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html. I went and tried to see if anything like him showed up and came up emtpy handed. Have fun over there.... you'll get lost there's so many photos!!!
--
bridget> Where were you!! You missed the party earlier today!!! I had 2 of them going off before 6 this morning. It was a chorus line I tell you. Wouldya couldya be my special friend and move next door to me so I wouldn't have to get rid of them>>>? It was really cold last night so no neighbors had their windows open... thank God! I need to find new homes for those 2 real fast!!! You interested in a nice lap pet for your classroom? It's definitely be something different from you butterflies. Just send me an address and either 1 of those fine boys will be yours.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #13
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Lib, here is the link for the Alpaca Farm that has chickens. They have an event coming up next week so maybe we'll go. Cochin sounds familiar.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

Wanna bring em a really sweet little purebred cockerel as a present when you go? How about bringing them 2. They hardly crow much more than in the morning. They're both black... if you just slipped em in with some of those cochins as you were touring I bet they'd hardly notice. Just kidding but I am looking for a home for both of those... preferably a 4H kid since they both come from really good lines and for sure 1 of them could be shown at a fair. If you go back.... can you ask them what that white and red chicken was. I'm sorta curious. I'm starting to be able to recognize more than the commonest of chickens since I raised 8 different breeds myself this year and did a lot of legwork deciding which ones we were going to try but when I start getting into the oddballs... I'm like a fish out of water identifying any of them.

Tags
ameraucana, black, chicken, chickens, chicks, cochin, cockerels, colors. clues, comb, crowing, feathers, female, hen, how to, male, photos, poultry, pullets, rooster, sex, sexing, sexing chickens, tail feathers