Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Reduce That Ecological Footprint > Sustainability > Livestock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

A mommy broody!!!! Ahm sooooooooo jealous. We set up an area for a broody mommy using hog panels and chicken wire and tossed a garage sale dog house in the enclosure but so far.... no broody mommies.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I went to a pigeon and poultry swap today and another two weeks ago.
I was good, real good and came home with...............nothing live for a a change!
Two more coming up...One on May 12th and the next June 2nd. Don't know when the Trenary swap is as that one's a different chain of members. I suppose it would be online somewhere if anyone's interested in attending that one.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

Ahm so proud of you!!! You came home empty handed. May 12th is a little shy of when I'm gonna be up there and I'll be gone by June 2nd or I'd go with you and we could support each other leaving our wallets in our pockets!!! I love window shopping!!! The Trenary is 1 I missed last year.... that's the biggie isn't it? I'd like to go to that 1.... don't know if I could break away though.... I've got chicks and bunnie fru frus coming out my ears.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
A mommy broody!!!! Ahm sooooooooo jealous. We set up an area for a broody mommy using hog panels and chicken wire and tossed a garage sale dog house in the enclosure but so far.... no broody mommies.
I have found that if I leave some eggs or fake eggs in a nest, my girl will go broody every time. We forget to check for eggs some times and by later on in the day retrieve them, that's when I spy the bird sitting on them and when she is still on them or does not want me to take them, she is becoming broody or thinking about t. Try putting a few golf balls in a nest, leave them and see if a bird will sit on them, if she does for a few days you got a broody, remember she wil go out to eat and drink ( mine did not lol we had to manually take her out)
but go right back on the nest, then you got your self a broody girl? Every tme we forgot to get a few eggs, my girl went ontop and stayed. I have 2 that will do this. In order to have a good broody hen, she will have to sit several days on a egg, or golf ball to insure she will sit all 21 days. Some folks are finding there hens Peter out after so many days. Mine would die being broody .i have to manually break her which is what I did several times by taking her off the nest, making sure she got no eggs, and doing it several times a day. M nest boxes are on the out side of the coop which made it easier. This broke her after a week, but she is die hard on being a mama so I finally gave in to her and got great stock eggs. I will be doing the same this coming spring to bring in new stock.
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

I've got golf balls in my nest boxes.... still no luck.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #16

Great Northern Poultry & Livestock Connection will be hosting their first fur & feather swap of the summer on May 26th.
Trenary,
Fur & Feather Swap

Old 05-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #17
Heron

Here's an interesting article I found.
Chicken Tractor | Lemoncraft
I don't think it qaulifys as a chicken tractor but it's idea for chickens over garden beds.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

Here's a very light weight chicken tractor I spotted while driving through PA. I really liked the pvc quonset type frame. They had what looked to be Cornish x in there. That breed grows so fast it is processed within 10 weeks.... sometimes even earlier so I liked that it could be easily moved around. Once those birds start hitting 6 lbs or so.... they crap alot and because they grow so fast... they're not nearly as active as more traditional breeds so it's nice the tractor was so portable because none of the birds in it had raw butt that I could see.
--
recurve> I've seen those before. I really wanted to try something like that. I don't know how easy it'd be for 1 person to get it in position over a bed though. 2 x 4's have a lot of weight to them and those look generously proportioned.
--
There's a potential pitfall to putting chickens in a tractor over a veggie bed like that. Chickens are pretty hard on plants and it seems like I've always got at least 6 in my tractor and I think they'd shred anything they were positioned over. I think this set up would be better with guinneas. Guinneas aren't nearly as hard on plants as chickens are. They don't scratch the ground hardly at all and they'd sure take care of any pests chowing down on our veggies. Downside to guinneas is they're loud.... they can literally wake the dead.
Attached Thumbnails
Chicken and turkeys and guinneas oh my!-img_3556.jpg  
Old 11-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #19

Did you go to the Fond Du Lac swap a few weeks back?

Old 11-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Here's an interesting article I found.
Chicken Tractor | Lemoncraft
I don't think it qaulifys as a chicken tractor but it's idea for chickens over garden beds.
I like the design of the beds in that article. I certainly wouldn't put any chickens over it as they'd rip the Sh*t out of things!

Tags
aerate, chicken, chicken coop, chicken tractor, chickens, coop, egg, eggs, feather, feathers, fertilize, fertilizer, guinnea, guinnea hen, guinneas, keets, layer, soil, sustainability, tractor, turkey, turkeys